Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals

disgruntled pigskin fan

NBA Finals

Anyone watching? Believeland needs this so bad it hurts.

What the Hell is going on
    Golden State will sweep the Cavs.
    Last edited by JaeP; 06-05-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

30 mpdb
    The Cavs looked bad. Like Lebron's-gonna-be-taking-his-talents-back-to-South-Beach bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it ended in the western conference finals

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker View Post
    Anyone watching? Believeland needs this so bad it hurts.
    As a Warriors fan and Bay Area native... after Game 2, I don't even have the heart to make a lot of fun of the Cavs or be combative or snarky much. I honestly just felt sorry for them.

The Cavs didn't even get routed, they got annihilated. Game was completely over about two minutes into the 4th period... Kerr could've put in the cheerleaders at that point and still won. Cavs seemed outmatched in every single phase of the game, it was that comprehensive. Also wonder if some of 'em quit mentally at some point in the second half.

Do expect the Cavs to rally and play better at home, but even so, with the 2-2-1-1-1 format, looks like this one will be over in five games.

Sorry, BelieveLand... it's not just the Warriors, the Thunder or Spurs likely could've done the same thing to y'all or close. Western Conference is just >>> than the Eastern Conference right now, not sure why.

Do hope Kevin Love is okay, Harrison Barnes' elbow to the back of his head was unintentional but brutal, and some sort of flagrant foul should've been called. Concussions are no joke. If it were me, I might've even suspended Barnes for a game.

Unsung hero of the series so far is the Warriors' defense in all phases, and especially Bogut's shot-blocking early in Game 2... it changed the Cav's offense, they didn't seem to want to attack the basket much after that. The series was supposed to be all about the Splash Bros, but the D and the bench have stolen the show. GS is so deep it's scary, they might be able to win the series even if Curry and Thompson were to somehow become permanent brick-layers. It's that one-sided so far.

Game 3 is obviously beyond do-or-die for Cleveland. I think they'll step up, but don't know if it'll be enough. There's just something weirdly and fundamentally wrong with how the Cavs are playing this series.

Again, I don't know if the easy walk through the Eastern Conference playoffs really prepared them for what they'd face at this level. It's like they're in shock.

Last edited by SystemShock; 06-06-2016 at 04:18 AM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

take on me
    Bay Area Sports in general is just ridiculous right now, we're so spoiled.

Giants have won the World Series 3 of the last 6 seasons, Warriors are working on back-to-back championships, and the San Jose Sharks are in the NHL Stanley Cup finals as we speak.

It's crazy. I guess all the bad karma went to the 49ers.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    The Cavs have gotten blown out without Curry or Thompson playing exceptionally well. They're done. I had a small glimmer of hope for them when they came back to tie the first game in the third quarter, but by the end of the night we still couldn't match the Warriors' bench players.

It's going to be painful to watch these next two games, but at least it will be over quickly. In his last seven games against Golden State LBJ is 0-7.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Cavs have gotten blown out without Curry or Thompson playing exceptionally well. They're done. I had a small glimmer of hope for them when they came back to tie the first game in the third quarter, but by the end of the night we still couldn't match the Warriors' bench players.

It's going to be painful to watch these next two games, but at least it will be over quickly. In his last seven games against Golden State LBJ is 0-7.
    NBA Eastern Conference no match for the West thanks to long-term implications of San Antonio Spurs and Greg Popovich ball built around team defense and ball movement.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Warriors comeback against the Thunder is the only nugget of goodness in an otherwise completely bland playoffs. I was tricked into thinking the Cavs looked good and had a good shot at the title early, losing sight of the fact that the Eastern Conference contenders (Raptors, Hawks) probably couldn't get past the Western also-rans (Clippers, Blazers).

Warriors defense and bench have been the story IMO. Maybe Cavs should give Mozgov a try, clog up the middle and "get that weak stuff outta here"

Not Banned
    when the Warrior's 2 big names both have an off night and you still lose by 15 that had to shake them to their core. So Curry and Klay have okay nights and you lose by 30 and the stars all get an easy night. Everyone was talking how the Cavs had a chip on their shoulder and that they wanted to show the Warriors that last year only happened because of injury. People don't realize this notion is what put the chip on the Warrior's shoulder and lead them to a record breaking season. I think the Warriors felt more disrespected than the Cavs and play like a team with a serious axe to grind. What this series has illustrated so far is what the experts were saying all along, the Easts best wouldn't get out of the early rounds of the West's playoffs. The Cavs looked dominant and strong right up until they had to play a team from the West. To note: The Cavs haven't beaten the Warriors all season.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It was really hard to watch the the fourth quarter. It was like seeing a dead tired lone rider dangling off the front with the top lead out trains lining up for a sprint finish. No, actually it was worse than that.

30 mpdb
    Cleveland deserves it. They will only get as far as Lebron's skill as a GM. The Cavs have acquiesced to him and his buddies, who have chosen most of the core & supporting cast of the team when the Cavs should have put their foot down and hired a professional (or let the existing GM do his job). Of course, if Cleveland did that, James would never have arrived back in town and would probably still be contending for championships in Miami.

Yes he is a tremendous player, but has no business making personnel demands where his buddies will profit over the well-being of the team. This conflict of interest is one of the reasons why he left the Heat (Riley & team wouldn't let him run roughshod over their organization), and why Cleveland will always lose to a better run team from the West. Yes they can make it to the Finals on James's talent and a few good players for the next few years (we are talking about the soft serve Eastern Conference), but that only gets them there. To win, the Cavs need chemistry, player buy-in, and true accountability. Not a bro-fest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    ... What this series has illustrated so far is what the experts were saying all along, the Easts best wouldn't get out of the early rounds of the West's playoffs. The Cavs looked dominant and strong right up until they had to play a team from the West. To note: The Cavs haven't beaten the Warriors all season.
    On the other hand, the Cavs were, at least, competitive with many of the leading Western Conference teams during the regular season. I think they beat the Spurs, the Thunder and the Clippers at least once each. (But any of these might well have beaten Cleveland in the finals.) I think the Cavs don't match up well to Golden State and their (transcendent) level of play, just as GS didn't match up well to the Thunder (but won, nonetheless).

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    On the other hand, the Cavs were, at least, competitive with many of the leading Western Conference teams during the regular season. I think they beat the Spurs, the Thunder and the Clippers at least once each. (But any of these might well have beaten Cleveland in the finals.) I think the Cavs don't match up well to Golden State and their (transcendent) level of play, just as GS didn't match up well to the Thunder (but won, nonetheless).
    Playoff basketball is a different beast than the regular season, though... more intense, more physical, fewer foul calls. It tends to 'expose' teams.

Cleveland lost 3 out of 4 to the Pistons during the regular season, and went 1-2 vs the Raptors too... yet beat both soundly during the playoffs.

Cat 6
    Warriors:
    1) Better/smarter bench by far
    2) Better/smarter coaching by far
    3) Better/smarter defense by far

Cavs can't overcome those 3 even if the offense had all things equal...go Dubs. Yesterday was a good old fashioned whuppin.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Bay Area Sports in general is just ridiculous right now, we're so spoiled.

Giants have won the World Series 3 of the last 6 seasons, Warriors are working on back-to-back championships, and the San Jose Sharks are in the NHL Stanley Cup finals as we speak.

It's crazy. I guess all the bad karma went to the 49ers.
    Seems like so long ago they were in the Super Bowl.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Neophyte
    I live in the Bay Area and I'm rooting for the Warriors to repeat (more than anything so that people won't argue forever about whether or not 73 wins means anything if they don't win the championship to go along with it).

But it's NOT over 'til it's over... a lot of people talked about the Warriors being cooked when they were down 1-3 to OKC.

But anyway the NBA is dead to me until the Seattle SuperSonics exist again.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    Seems like so long ago [the 49ers] were in the Super Bowl.
    Yah, was only 2012. But it'll be a verrrry long time before they get back there again.

#team-imploded

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Warriors:
    1) Better/smarter bench by far
    2) Better/smarter coaching by far
    3) Better/smarter defense by far

Cavs can't overcome those 3 even if the offense had all things equal...go Dubs.
    Great point. Steve Kerr has been pretty much a tactical genius both in this series and during the OKC comeback. I don't know of too many other coaches who would've dared to put in all-bench-player teams (or nearly so) for long stretches, much less have it pay off incredibly well as it has for GS.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdog
    But it's NOT over 'til it's over... a lot of people talked about the Warriors being cooked when they were down 1-3 to OKC.
    I think just because of all the sh** we've been talking in this thread, Cleveland might win Game 3. Karma, eh?

But as far as an epic series comeback goes, doubt it. Cleveland is not GS, they don't have the same tools, the depth, the defense, or as good coaching.

It would be really, really shocking, let's just say that. I think they'd have to break or bend GS mentally in the same way that GS kinda did to OKC in order for it to work. And GS just does not seem to break mentally.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Yah, was only 2012. But it'll be a verrrry long time before they get back there again.

#team-imploded
    They'll be back faster than the dumpster fire Browns.

RoadBikeReview Member

#team-imploded
    owner and management are broken

take on me
    They'll be back faster than the dumpster fire Browns.
    Sigh. Johnny Manziel. With a first round pick. Who thought that was a good idea?

Ah well. At least your Indians are in first place.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    owner and management are broken
    and that is the be-all, end-all

most fans don't get that.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Proud luddite
    Speaking of the finals, what's the deal with spacing the games three days apart, even when they are taking place in the same city? The regular season is too long, too many teams make the playoffs, and then the playoffs are interminable. Of course the answer is that this makes money for the league, but nonetheless it sucks.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Speaking of the finals, what's the deal with spacing the games three days apart, even when they are taking place in the same city? The regular season is too long, too many teams make the playoffs, and then the playoffs are interminable. Of course the answer is that this makes money for the league, but nonetheless it sucks.
    My thoughts exactly; it almost always boils down to money. It's especially painful when the outcome seems predetermined.

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast