Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fecal indicator

need help with bourbon purchase...

getting ready to stock the bar for the holidays and just read a review of Angel's Envy (produced by the the former master distiller from Woodford) which got very high marks.

however, the taster's comments all described it as having 'sweet/fruity' characteristics due to a port wine finishing process.

this makes me think of nasty stuff like Southern Comfort, gag...and I'm not keen on dropping decent money on something of that ilk.

so, anyone tried this? good, great, awful...?
    eff all y'all...

Deliciously Ironic

Many!

Bulleit
    Buffalo Trace
    mohair_chair: And everyone knows that a menstruating woman attracts bears

buy my old bike stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/carbonscyclingcloset/

my playlist on Blip.fm: http://blip.fm/rollotommassi

It's not TOO Cold!
    Buy a small bottle to try, or seek a high end store that has tastings.

Do trust the interwebs, unless it comes from the Lounge.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    getting ready to stock the bar for the holidays and just read a review of Angel's Envy (produced by the the former master distiller from Woodford) which got very high marks.

however, the taster's comments all described it as having 'sweet/fruity' characteristics due to a port wine finishing process.

this makes me think of nasty stuff like Southern Comfort, gag...and I'm not keen on dropping decent money on something of that ilk.

so, anyone tried this? good, great, awful...?
    Never tried it. I doubt it would be that sweet. My suggestion would be go to a bar and order one neat.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Never tried it. I doubt it would be that sweet. My suggestion would be go to a bar and order one neat.
    Same. Sweet/fruity for a good Bourbon (which I have to assume this is) shouldn't be anywhere near Southern Comfort. Woodford Reserve is a pretty darn fine choice too.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would think you could trust the master distiller of Woodford Reserve to not screw it up. I'll try to find out for you, but probably not in time for your holiday bar stocking. I'll stop by my LLS (Local Likker Store) right next to my LBS and ask for it on Tuesday.

Hmmm. Looks to not be distributed in this area yet, but internet sellers will ship to my state.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: “I married a goddam musician, Ain’t no way to make that $#!↑ right.”

Fecal indicator
    man, I thought the lushes, er experts of the Lounge would be all over this...

well, I'm off to buy spirits...will just have to wing it and see what I end up with.
    eff all y'all...

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet in a spirit (bourbon in this case) isn't the same critter as sweet in a liqueur (Southern Comfort in your example). There are very little residual sugars in a bourbon, the sweetness is more a perception from the flavors present than an actual sugary-sweetness. I haven't tried that particular bourbon but, if it's made by the former master distiller from Woodford and he's not lost his touch, I can't imagine it would be a disappointing bourbon. It definitely won't be anything resembling syrupy like Southern Comfort. Now whether or not you personally will enjoy what the port cask brings to the party, I have no idea. I've had some port finished scotches that I really enjoyed.

Beetpull DeLite
    Angel's Envy sounds good....have to pick up a bottle the next time I'm back in the Motherland.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I am a big fan of Woodford. If you can find it, give Eagle Rare I try. I had a glass while on business in Louisville... Really good.

Fecal indicator
    even tho Woodford is a very fine bourbon, I didn't gamble $40 that I would like the port wine part of AE.

the salesgirl at the store was perky and cute and said she likes 1792 and oh, btw it is on sale...nice little sales ploy there...

so, I grabbed a bottle of that and some Maker's 46...gonna do some extensive taste-testing here in a minute to make sure they're ok to serve guests...ha.
    eff all y'all...

still shedding season
    The 1792 is nice, although very different than Woodford Reserve. Tell you what, if you don't like it I'll give you my address.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13 View Post
    The 1792 is nice, although very different than Woodford Reserve. Tell you what, if you don't like it I'll give you my address.
    yeah, just put a couple of ounces of the 1792 in a glass.

nice deep amber color, a little alcohol in the nose but has some nice marmalade overtones...not sure I'm digging the finish tho. some kind of spice is coming thru that I'm not that keen about...

will keep sipping tho...a proper tasting take time. and I've got all afternoon...
    eff all y'all...

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    the salesgirl at the store was perky and cute and said she likes 1792 and oh, btw it is on sale...nice little sales ploy there...
    Yes, the cute & perky sales ploy gets to me every time.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: “I married a goddam musician, Ain’t no way to make that $#!↑ right.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll vote for Makers Mark + Knob Creek ....

There are dozens of small, botique bourbons ...aka Small Batch ... oops that's small batch for the generics. Somebody copyrighted Small Batch, anyone tried it ?

If all goes well, someday there will be bourbon Bed & Breakfast bike tours just like the winery tasting B&B tours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMitchell View Post
    I am a big fan of Woodford. If you can find it, give Eagle Rare I try. I had a glass while on business in Louisville... Really good.
    ^^^ - this. Eagle Rare is fantastic.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Makers and Woodford are both very good bourbons. I prefer Makers. I have not tried the Makers 46. I do think Makers has a slightly sweet after taste to it compared to Woodford. I like to try the various top shelf bourbons. They're all good.

had it in the ear before
    I hope santa claus brings me a bottle of Wild turkery rare breed or George Dickel Select Barrel
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

Not Banned

woodford

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Makers and Woodford are both very good bourbons. I prefer Makers. I have not tried the Makers 46. I do think Makers has a slightly sweet after taste to it compared to Woodford. I like to try the various top shelf bourbons. They're all good.
    has a tad more Rye, Makers is particularly wheaty

Pappy Van Winkle FTW
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the best bourbon for the money is Old Bardstown Estate (not the square black label bottle). Should be just under $30. It's outstanding and I'm perfectly happy drinking it when I'm sparing my Pappy 20 yr.

And as someone here in another thread mentioned (atpjunkie??) whatever you drink, try adding water a teaspoon at a time until you hit your personal sweet spot. It's incredible how bourbon and scotch blossom with just the right amount of water.

I <3 1911s
    The sweetest bourbon I've ever tried is Fighting Cock and it's nowhere near as sweet as Southern Comfort. It also raises interesting conversations at parties too.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

teflondog's PedalRoom profile

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    The sweetest bourbon I've ever tried is Fighting Cock and it's nowhere near as sweet as Southern Comfort. It also raises interesting conversations at parties too.
    Maaan i have bad memories of a new years eve party drinking a bottle of fighting cock and vomiting keilbasa and sauerkraut in my sleep, destroyed a mattress.
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

I <3 1911s
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle View Post
    Maaan i have bad memories of a new years eve party drinking a bottle of fighting cock and vomiting keilbasa and sauerkraut in my sleep, destroyed a mattress.
    It definitely packs a punch compared to 80-proof bourbons. Good stuff!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

teflondog's PedalRoom profile

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    It definitely packs a punch compared to 80-proof bourbons. Good stuff!
    This is my standby for mixing or even straight and also pretty darned affordable compared to Woodford, Pappy, etc.

W.L.Weller Special Reserve

I had some of this over the weekend. Interesting, but a bit harsh as it's not aged. Interesting flavor though...we liked it best with some cherry juice and a maraschino cherry in it.

Spirits Review | Reviews | American Whiskey |Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1 Whiskey

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Get me to In&Out
    I just brought a bottle of Basil Hayden back to Germany for a guy here. He loves the stuff and can't get it here. I am not a bourbon fan at all, but it wasn't bad.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast