RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Need new gas range

Our hand-me-down 20 something year old gas Kitchenaid range needs major work, multiple igniters, etc... in conversation, my wife indicated that the burners never put out a lot of heat and that the oven broiler was erratic with cooking times.

So OK, new range time. The appliance repair guy recommends Kitchenaid, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thx in advance

SB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    get one that the standoffs for the pots completely cover the top, flat; not the individual burner ones.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    get one that the standoffs for the pots completely cover the top, flat; not the individual burner ones.
    Do you mean get a model whose grills cover the entire top of the unit ?.

Like this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need new gas range-kitchen-aid-stove.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    We've got a Bluestar (our's is 36" but they make 30" as well) and it is incredible for cooking. The open burners are super powerful and the oven has an really powerful infrared broiler than makes a great steak. It also has almost no electronics so should be a little more robust than some of the fancy computerized models out there. I've seen reports of the control panel on Kitchenaids melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought a Kitchenaid this week to replace our old one. I got the rear oven controls. Hundreds cheaper and appliance guy says that may be a better location for the electronics in any case. Stainless top and continuous grills.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Our hand-me-down 20 something year old gas Kitchenaid range needs major work, multiple igniters, etc... in conversation, my wife indicated that the burners never put out a lot of heat and that the oven broiler was erratic with cooking times.

So OK, new range time. The appliance repair guy recommends Kitchenaid, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thx in advance

SB
    What's yer budget?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Russian Troll Farmer
    We have a GE profile (?) cafe, 36" with a convection oven. 4 regular burners and a center oblong burner. No upright in the back, so it can be used either inserted, or as a stand-alone. Looks nice, although the stainless steel under-guard did heat-treat to a brownish color under the dual-burner (lots of heat when we boil water for pasta...), and it's a pain to keep looking clean. Still, the convection oven is really nice to have. So far it's been reliable. Looks like a premium range, at a mid-range price.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just a minor correction to this

No upright in the back, so it can be used either inserted, or as a stand-alone
    Implies that a stove with rear oven controls cannot be an insert, which in our case at least is not so. Ours is an insert and the oven controls are at the back. Only difference with an insert is that the sides are not nicely finished.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    like this

Need new gas range-img_20170225_183421429.jpg

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, continuous cover is a lot better, pots can't fall off the burners.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    IDK what the current models with front oven controls do, but the Kitchenaid model we just ditched with front controls, would run a cooling fan when the oven was on and for about 10 mins after shutdown to keep the board cool. Quite noisy. This one with rear controls has no cooling fan. Which is an improvement.

One.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Like carveitup, me and Sogno have a Bluestar 36". An outstanding piece of kit. Quality up and down. Pots heat to a boil in no time. Precision control up the wazoo. No electronics other than the igniters. Macho-looking but beautiful to gaze upon. The only problem is that, though the burners are of various sizes and intensities, even the gentlest burner is too powerful for a truly gentle simmer. If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Crusty AF
    Apparently Costco has a Bluestar specific to them for less than the going rate of a general public model. Regular shelves rather than ball bearings, and maybe one or two other minor differences. Guts are all the same though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Our new Samsung Chef Collection has a fancy 22,000 btu dual burner that's supposed to heat water quick but I swear the regular burners are just as fast. It also has the fan, I really hate it. Would not buy again.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.
    We have a 5000 btu simmer burner, and it's not quite low enough either. Diffusers can help, or just stack things a bit higher as you do.

Super high end stuff has a pulse simmer. The flame comes on and off over time so that very low temps can be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Our new Samsung Chef Collection has a fancy 22,000 btu dual burner that's supposed to heat water quick but I swear the regular burners are just as fast.
    Does it just have one circle of flames?

Bigger burners tend to be too big for most pots and pans, and so a lot of heat tends to go out the sides and not into the bottom of the pan. To really have a good high burner, you want either a double burner (two rings of flames) or a star shaped burner or something like that.

We can't really go over medium high with our high burner for most things, other than 14" pans and the huge stockpot.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it's well worth asking whether or not the stove uses a cooling fan for the electronics.

It's something never mentioned in the specs.

And can be irritating, as the one one on the stove that just died would run on for 10-15 minutes after the oven had been shut down. And it was still an electronics failure that killed it.

And why our new quiet stove pictured above is such a relief.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 02-26-2017 at 06:42 AM.

One.

xxl
    Like carveitup, me and Sogno have a Bluestar 36". An outstanding piece of kit. Quality up and down. Pots heat to a boil in no time. Precision control up the wazoo. No electronics other than the igniters. Macho-looking but beautiful to gaze upon. The only problem is that, though the burners are of various sizes and intensities, even the gentlest burner is too powerful for a truly gentle simmer. If you really want a gentle simmer, you have to stack a couple of grates on top of each other to get the pot a little higher.
    If you have a large enough cast-iron skillet or grill, you can put your pot inside one, and let it be your heat diffuser.

If the stacked grates are stable and safe, though, it sounds like that works fine.

xxl
    OP, in addition to what you're spending, what width stove do you need?

Most ranges in the sub-astronomical price range (i.e., below a couple grand) are 30". If you want bigger, it ramps up the cost quite a bit (read on).

I have a friend who just bought a house where the previous owner had installed her dream kitchen: A 60" Wolf stove w/dual ovens, two huge refrigerators, two dishwashers, etc., but she'd fudged on an exhaust hood. My friend was shocked when I told him that because of the size of his stove, and the fact that it was directly below a cathedral ceiling (meaning longer duct run and an auxiliary fan), he'd likely be paying ten grand, all in, to have that aircraft carrier of a stove vented outside...and two months later, he was writing a check for just about that amount.

Still, he's quite happy now--he could cook a missionary on that stove, and never smell it in the adjoining room.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    OP, in addition to what you're spending, what width stove do you need?

Most ranges in the sub-astronomical price range (i.e., below a couple grand) are 30". If you want bigger, it ramps up the cost quite a bit (read on).

I have a friend who just bought a house where the previous owner had installed her dream kitchen: A 60" Wolf stove w/dual ovens, two huge refrigerators, two dishwashers, etc., but she'd fudged on an exhaust hood. My friend was shocked when I told him that because of the size of his stove, and the fact that it was directly below a cathedral ceiling (meaning longer duct run and an auxiliary fan), he'd likely be paying ten grand, all in, to have that aircraft carrier of a stove vented outside...and two months later, he was writing a check for just about that amount.

Still, he's quite happy now--he could cook a missionary on that stove, and never smell it in the adjoining room.
    Ended up with a KitchenAid 5 burner, 30", gas unit. It's stainless so now fits with all the other stainless stuff in the kitchen.

Briefly looked at a Viking and a Bluestar but at easily a grand more, couldn't justify the cost. There's only my wife and I, we both work full time and are not gourmet chefs so microwave half the time.

Didn't go to the big box guys, instead was recommended to a local appliance guy who was as nice as could be, super knowledgeable. His attitude and helpfulness sold us the stove. Price was no different and I was glad to buy local.

Comes in next week and I paid for install and removal even though I could do it myself.

So there goes part of this years tax refund.

Oh, and a thanks to all who replied, good info and advise as always.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have a fancy 6 burner Thermadore. Had a lot of problems with the oven door initially. One thing I do like about it is that the range is gas and the oven in electric. Referred to as dual fuel. Gas ovens and electric ranges suck.

Frog Whisperer
    no kidding, I thought I was the only person in the world who stacked grates!!!!! (for rice, particularly)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    My post is too late now, but in future others might consider going to Induction cooktop instead. I will next time we renovate. More precise than gas, faster to boil water than gas, the most efficient, low heat loss, safer, less need for venting and easier cleanup. But also pretty expensive for the cooktop/range however less installation headaches.

some say it is the future of high end cooking

The Pros and Cons of Induction Cooking - The New York Times

The heat comes on so fast that anyone used to pouring oil in a pan and chopping the last of the onions while it heats is making a big mistake.
    The use of induction in restaurants might help its move into the mainstream. Because induction burners deliver the precise, consistent, low heat demanded by certain sauces and confections, higher end restaurants often have a burner or two at the ready.

chef, Sean Rembold.

“It can be quite intimidating,” he said. “We started referring to it as cooking by numbers.”

Still, he likes it. With the correct pan, he said, his brick chicken crisps perfectly over the high even heat, and his risotto is more consistent than when it’s cooked over gas. And the induction burners throw off so little heat that even a cramped basement can stay relatively cool.

In Los Angeles, it was induction or nothing for Thi and Nguyen Tran when they opened an Asian comfort food restaurant called Starry Kitchen. The former sushi bar had four induction burners, a fryer and a little electric griddle. Punching through the building to vent the kitchen for gas would have cost more than $200,000, Mr. Tran said.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.