Non non normal

Need trip planning help Biltmore, Savannah, Charleston

My wife and I are thinking about doing a week road trip to the three locations above in a circuitous route from Md. I expect to spend 2 whole days driving and about 8 days total for the trip. I want to tent camp a few nights and stay in motels the rest of the time.

So how would you do the trip and what else would you want to see on the way or around those areas.

We want to go see a plantation near Charleston.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Milk was a bad choice.
    Here is a fantastic and well priced place to stay in Asheville. I cannot say enough good things about the accommodations and the owners.

http://www.ashevillecottages.com/(S(...)/default.aspx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    In Charleston make sure to take a walk dow the side streets. Amazing historical homes!

In Savannah take a ghost tour and stay down on the river at the Hampton Inn. I swear I saw a ghost there during one of my many stays there. Go check out the numerous forts especially Fort Pulaski. There are still canonballs lodged in the outer walls. Tybee island is nice to get some beach time. Finish the day off with some Low Country Boil for dinner.

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    My wife and I are thinking about doing a week road trip to the three locations above in a circuitous route from Md. I expect to spend 2 whole days driving and about 8 days total for the trip. I want to tent camp a few nights and stay in motels the rest of the time.

So how would you do the trip and what else would you want to see on the way or around those areas.

We want to go see a plantation near Charleston.
    Set your tent up in the hotel room in Charleston and Savannah, the gnats (no-see-ums), they take bites of flesh, are heavy this time of year. Downtown Charleston is worth the visit, take a stroll in the evening along The Battery.
    Retired sailor

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, three fabulous locations. One day at Biltmore is enough. One day in Asheville (I could stay a whole week there).

I LOVE Charleston, so I can't say enough about it. Walk down the waterfront, have some shrimp and grits, walk down all the side streets gawking at the architecture, gosh...enjoy the moss hanging out of live oaks. I don't need anything fancy to make me at home on Charleston. Market street, SNOB (google it). Kaminskys for toll house pie (yum). Go kayaking.

Savannah, I have heard, is even more fabulous, but I confess I haven't been there. You can't go wrong, you will have a great trip. Have fun!

Ricardo Cabeza
    you're getting your wife in a tent? dang, Mrs69's idea of camping is a $50/night hotel
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    you're getting your wife in a tent? dang, Mrs69's idea of camping is a $50/night hotel
    She hasn't exactly signed up for the camping yet.

I was thinking of camping a night or two when near the Biltmore/Asheville. The rest of the trip would be hotels in Savannah and Charleston.

What restaurants in Savannah and Charleston are must do?

Asheville? Tell me what is cool to see and do.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I lived in Savannah for two years and have visited Asheville and Charleston numerous times over the years. Asheville is a great small city and I love going there. Stay downtown if possible because there is so much to see in walking distance, including some great pubs, restaurants and shops. Grove Park Inn is expensive and overrated, and too far from downtown to walk unless you are a trooper. The NC Arboretum on the outskirts of town is a beautiful garden with some nice hiking trails. Biltmore Village near the famous mansion also has some nice shops and restaurants. If you have time, drive some stretches of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which has some nice camping areas at various points and a few hotels. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is always worth a visit if you have time, and Cades Cove is the prime attraction but don't go there on a busy weekend day. If you like to hike, the trail to Alum Cave Bluffs and Mount LeConte is incredible, unlike anything else in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Savannah and Charleston are charming in their own ways. Savannah has the largest historic district in the US, with numerous parks and squares. It is a fantastic place to walk, but be cautious after dark because neighborhoods can go from very nice to dangerous within a few blocks. Lots of great places to eat and drink. Some of my favorite places are no longer there, but Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is an old standby for Southern homestyle food (be prepared for long lines unless you get there early). River Street is great for strolling, watching ships, but the restaurants there are a bit overpriced IMHO. Main thing is to do some walking ... through the old neighborhoods, side streets, squares, old cemeteries. Fort Pulaski is incredible, particularly if you are a history and/or military buff. Tybee Island is a charming little beach with some nice breakfast diners, but the better beaches there are away from the center of town.

Charleston is not as large as Savannah but equally nice in its own way. Incredible architecture, homes, restaurants and parks. Also a great place to walk. The beaches (Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms) are nicer than Tybee and charming old beach communities, with some nice places to eat and drink as well. Fort Sumter branch on the islands is well worth a visit; not as large as Pulaski but equally nice.

If you want to camp along the coast, the only place I would recommend is Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC. The reason is that you actually camp right on the beach there (at least when I lived there), and the winds are strong enough to keep the bugs at bay. The insects are terrible along the SE coast -- primarily the no-see-ums, which will eat you alive. Locals have discovered that Avon Skin-So-Soft is the only thing that will keep them away, and it works much better than any insect repellent including Deet. However, you still need repellent to keep away the mosquitoes and horse flies. The longest night I ever spent was camping at Skidaway Island near Savannah and being eaten alive by no-see-ums; I am surprised that I made it through alive, it was that bad.

There are many B&Bs in Savannah and Charleston that are great places to stay if you can afford them. Most are right in the historic districts and really make a visit to either place special, but there are also nice hotels. We usually rent a home on Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island when we visit Charleston because it's a short drive (20-30 minutes) to the city and the islands are so pleasant.
    Last edited by tarwheel2; 04-12-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Cheese is my copilot
    You'll probably want to visit the Grove Park Inn, especially if you like the Arts and Crafts movement.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin View Post
    You'll probably want to visit the Grove Park Inn, especially if you like the Arts and Crafts movement.
    Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my assessment because I had a bad experience there once, but it is pretty incredible if you can afford it. The view from the porch is great, and a nice place to sip a beer. Rooms all furnished with Mission style furniture. Good food. Just the drive up to the front entrance almost makes it worthwhile. However, I would personally prefer a B&B close to downtown or the Renaissance, which is right downtown by the old Thomas Wolfe boarding house and well worth a visit.

Milk was a bad choice.
    She hasn't exactly signed up for the camping yet.

I was thinking of camping a night or two when near the Biltmore/Asheville. The rest of the trip would be hotels in Savannah and Charleston.

What restaurants in Savannah and Charleston are must do?

Do you know how you're getting to/from Asheville? If you happen to go near Banner Elk, I have a B&B and day hike recommendation, or if you go near Brevard, I have a cool Blue Ridge Parkway side stop recommendation.

Milk was a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my assessment because I had a bad experience there once, but it is pretty incredible if you can afford it. The view from the porch is great, and a nice place to sip a beer. Rooms all furnished with Mission style furniture. Good food. Just the drive up to the front entrance almost makes it worthwhile. However, I would personally prefer a B&B close to downtown or the Renaissance, which is right downtown by the old Thomas Wolfe boarding house and well worth a visit.
    Grover Park is expensive as hell, you didn't overstate that. I think going to a brunch on their porch would be worth the expense, but I think unless you're a high roller, there are much cheaper places to stay that offer far better value.

Cheese is my copilot
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't stay there. But definitely worth visiting I think.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    When I lived in Columbia SC my wife and I would make the occasional trip to Charleston. We always stayed at the Francis Marion and our first stop would be Hyman's for a bowl of she crab soup and a bloody mary.