Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Netflix warns of Q1 loss, Q4 drop in DVD customers

gee, there's a shocker after jacking around with prices and saying their splitting things up then not.

Who taught this guy business. You have to keep you customers happy.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard they were also changing their name to "Only Movies that Suck".

eminence grease
    OMG!!!!! How did this happen???
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

waterproof*
    now maybe you people will quit laughing at me for storing all my vhs tapes all these years.
    * not actually a Rock Star

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    now maybe you people will quit laughing at me for storing all my vhs tapes all these years.
    I stopped laughing at you for that months ago.

Sticky Valentine

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Didn't they mention that they're losing a butt load of money because they're starting up in the UK and Ireland.

I think home delivery of DVD's is stupid. They need to move those movies to streaming and then they'll have something everyone wants. Until they somehow get the ability to show just about every single movie in existence, including extremely obscure stuff, on top of that I'd also like to have streaming of just about every single music recording of the last 60 years and deliver all that for $7.99 a month.

Glue Sniffer
    Retro-grouches are going all screenplays these days.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

I drank what?
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Retro-grouches are going all screenplays these days.
    pfft,. Amateurs, I'm so hip I only go to plays at the Dionysia Festival...heard there's a new play it's a tragedy or something
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

Glue Sniffer
    Quote Originally Posted by heathb View Post
    Until they somehow get the ability to show just about every single movie in existence, including extremely obscure stuff, on top of that I'd also like to have streaming of just about every single music recording of the last 60 years and deliver all that for $7.99 a month.
    And then we drop $100 on a saddle. For our @sses.

I find the expectations of modern products interesting. If it's something we can hold, live in, drive,or put on our butts, we'll pay out the wazoo for it. If it provides entertainment or knowledge, we expect the world for less than a couple of Taco Bell Chalupas.

I'm not saying your expectations are wrong -- after all, that's how capitalism work -- I just wonder where we're taking it.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

haole from the mainland
    Their CEO gave a really smug interview to the NY Times Sunday Magazine. Wonder how much longer he has?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by heathb View Post
    I think home delivery of DVD's is stupid.
    Agreed.

OTOH, I'm glad as hell they still mail Blu-ray's because the difference between them and streaming (or anything on cable or satellite, for that matter) is night and day.
    Last edited by TimV; 10-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.

won't you be my neighbor?
    Netflix stock got absolutely nuked in after hours trading today, going from about $120 to currently around $86.

In July, they were very nearly at $300. So, in just three months, they've turned a $15 billion company into a $4.5 billion company.

Very impressive, in an awful way.

I think I get what they were trying to do, though. Hastings knew that the future is in streaming/dloads, and he also knew that they needed more revenue.

He tried to 'turn the ship' rapidly, and early, and reposition the company before Netflix started to look like that 'dinosaur company that still relies on discs for most of its revenue'.

Thing is, you have to do a major transition delicately, so as not to piss off your existing customer base. That seems to be the major fail here. Even guys like Steve Jobs would get an earful when they did major transitions too fast, and Reed Hastings is no Steve Jobs.

Also, I don't think discs-by-mail is going away quite as quickly as some ppl might think. Plenty of ppl still have relatively slow internet connections, and 1080p Blu-Ray looks better, sometimes a lot better, than your typical compressed streaming HD.

If we all had 100 Mb internet connections like many in Japan do, wouldn't be much of an issue. But, we dont.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 10-24-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

xxl: Your post is so stupid, if stupid had a cognitively-impaired relative, it would be your post.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day, it blew my teenage mind.

Back from the dead
    I read something the other day where they were shocked to discover that customers viewed streaming as a neat add-on to the DVD service. They truly believed everyone was nuts about their streaming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Agreed.

OTOH, I'm glad as hell they still mail Blu-ray's because the difference between them and streaming (or anything on cable or satellite, for that matter) is night and day.
    how's that? Directv has 1080p content...

Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    how's that? Directv has 1080p content...
    Uncompressed?
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

xxl: Your post is so stupid, if stupid had a cognitively-impaired relative, it would be your post.

Platypius:

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Rep *****.
    A friend of mine dumped his Apple stock back in July and bought Netflix. Ouch.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

Quote Originally Posted by firstrax View Post
    A friend of mine dumped his Apple stock back in July and bought Netflix. Ouch.
    Double wipeout. My ribs hurt just thinking about that hit.

Platypius:

Rep *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Double wipeout. My ribs hurt just thinking about that hit.
    He's a major fanboi and predicted Job's death and that the stock would plummet on the news. Sadly he was 1/2 right.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

Also, I don't think discs-by-mail is going away quite as quickly as some ppl might think. Plenty of ppl still have relatively slow internet connections, and 1080p Blu-Ray looks better, sometimes a lot better, than your typical compressed streaming HD.
    This.

I think it's all nice and fuzzy for people who like watching movies on their computer and those that have bothered to figure out streaming to say that home delivery is dumb. But I think that's an incredibly narrow perspective and one completely ignorant of the average Netflix customer. Their business was built around regular people who got tired of wasting an hour going to the video store. And those people are not going to flock to a streaming solution, at least not on a moment's notice and when the catalog stinks. I said this when the first announcement came and it looks like I was right.

I live in a town where there is no local mail delivery. I have to go to the post office and I get to see lots of my fellow citizens. The ubiquitous Red Envelope was just that. We used to joke about how many people were walking out with one or more in their mail pile. Those people are the kind that are going to run out to Best Buy and purchase a wireless enabled player, just because Reed Hastings tells them too. They're going to bail, and it looks like that's just what they did.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    I read something the other day where they were shocked to discover that customers viewed streaming as a neat add-on to the DVD service. They truly believed everyone was nuts about their streaming.
    Sometimes tech arrogance is staggering.

the fist
    Amazon is gonna PWN em soon
    FlexiSexual

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    Their CEO gave a really smug interview to the NY Times Sunday Magazine. Wonder how much longer he has?
    Just read it from your FB link.

Funny ... I didn't see it as smug at all. I read it as one of the most condescending pieces of customer-loathing vitriol I've ever seen. To wit:

We know that we need to do better going forward. We need to take a few deep breaths and not move quite as quickly. Because our customers are stupid and afraid of change and don't know that streaming is the future.

No, I think it was just a mistake in underestimating the depth of emotional attachment to Netflix. Our customers are idiots who are emotionally attached to a service and don't realize it's not as good as our other service.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you KIDDING me? VHS is crap quality, lazer disc or bust.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    Not long, stock is down 36% so far today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast