Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

New car tomorrow!

I know this isn't big news for most and that there's some VW hate out there but, at age 42, I'm excited to have my first new car...

Wifey and I pick up our 2017 VW Alltrack SEL tomorrow. I started driving in 1991 and up to now the only cars I've owned have been a 74 Beetle, 85 Nissan pickup, 94 Pathfinder (my current daily driver), and the 91 VW Westfalia.

As a frugal person I'm a bit embarrassed to be paying a premium for a brand new car but since we keep our cars for 10-15 years we decided to get EXACTLY what we wanted this time around. And the wife's 2001 Jetta is just getting too finicky to rely on for out-of-town trips - and there's also the fact that part of the front end is held together with zip-ties...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I'll pray to the car gods that your new VW doesn't breakdown.

I don't want to scare you but....
    I've bought a new VW product a few years ago (Audi Q5 2.0T) and just shy of 13K miles, it had excessive oil consumption due to some faulty piston rings. Do you know what kind of labor is involved replacing a piston ring????? Total engine disassembly and reassembly on a brand new engine... I will never buy anything from them again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Do you know what kind of labor is involved replacing a piston ring?????
    The Westfalia has made me personally aware of the labor involved in fixing all sorts of car problems. Once the transmission is rebuilt this month that thing will be more new than old. "VW, making owners into mechanics since 1947".

I've heard horror stories about other makes too. Wifey's 1997 Wrangler (bought new) needed a new transmission at 60k miles and my coworkers 2016 Dodge Ram was such a lemon he fought with the dealer to buy it back from him. Se la vie.

Wifey had two other Jettas and we never had the issues that many others have experienced. The 1.8T engine is a long standing workhorse for VW so I hope they have it pretty well dialed. None-the-less, having a warranty is a big part of why didn't look for a slightly used Audi or Volvo.

As much as it makes sense on paper, we just didn't fall in love with any Subaru models.
    Last edited by dir-t; 04-21-2017 at 08:52 AM.

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    We're looking at either a 4Motion Sportwagen or an Alltrack to replace my POS Subaru. A Golf R would work too Let us know how you like it, I'm looking for an AWD alternative to those POS Subarus. A 10 year old car with 90K shouldn't require major engine and transmission work, and shouldn't have major suspension components rusting off let alone rust holes in the bodywork.

My wife's car is a 2000 Passat, and that thing is nothing but reliable. Rarely any issue with it, just add gas and change oil and it keeps running like the day we picked it up new from the dealer. And the dealer thinks it looks showroom ready too. It is easily the best car we've ever owned. Her car before that was a Mk2 Jetta GLI, another bulletproof car. We really should have kept that car and gotten rid of my SE-R, then I probably would have never even thought about a Subaru.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=tka;5144621] A Golf R would work too

I told the sales guy that I'd be pretty bummed out if an Alltrack R is released next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

Wifey had two other Jettas and we never had the issues that many others have experienced. The 1.8T engine is a long standing workhorse for VW so I hope they have it pretty well dialed. None-the-less, having a warranty is a big part of why didn't look for a slightly used Audi or Volvo.

You must have bought the unicorn 1.8t Jetta... One that poops diamond encrusted rainbow poop....

In 2000, I bought a brand spanking new 2001 Jetta 1.8t... by 2002 it already over 20 recalls, 2 for major engine problems (one of those being coil packs), and a number of non engine mechanical issues, including the 6 times I took it back for the god damn window mechanism failing and the glass falling into the door (1 time exploding).

Now, I can handle recalls to some extent, especially with a first model year (to the US), but I got dicked around by VW twice before they admitted to the coil pack problem, and they never reimbursed me for the service that was not needed that they said would fix the problem (they did reimburse the rental car fees at least). Granted, some of this has to do with the dealer, because while they were supposed to replace the plugs, when I went and did a service a year later myself and replaced the plugs, hey, they were still the OEM ones, not the OEM replacement ones.. in fact, I don't think they did anything except charge me...

That left me with a bad taste about VW, particularly that dealer in Tysons Corner VA.. who also happens to sell Subaru...

Now, I will not own any vehicle where I do not get a loaner from the dealer. Rentals for recalls are however typical of any manufacturer if they are keeping your car for any extended period.

For me, I would have to say my Mercedes ownership was the best experience (I owned an AMG C63). Hell they gave me a loaner when I dropped my car off the get washed (free car washes are a nice perk). Never questioned, never given a hard time about anything. I can't say the same for my VW and Jeep ownership experiences.. We also have an Infiniti JX35.. service and dealership experience is great, although the car is a piece of ****.. god I had CVT's.. never again.
    Recently traded my C63 (well a year ago I guess, seems more like yesterday) for a Mini, and so far the dealer experience has been good...

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I told the sales guy that I'd be pretty bummed out if an Alltrack R is released next year.
    Well they do sell a Golf R Sportwagen across the pond...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    We're looking at either a 4Motion Sportwagen or an Alltrack to replace my POS Subaru. A Golf R would work too Let us know how you like it, I'm looking for an AWD alternative to those POS Subarus.

Not sure what your budget is, but the Mini I referred to in my previous post is an excellent car (yes I know, its a BMW).

We went with the Cooper S Clubman ALL4 in manual. It's a fun car to drive, has a ton of space (yeah Mini's are not really all that mini anymore). The options however will get you. Looks like Mini learned a little with the release of the new Countryman, which comes with most common options as standard.

But yeah, there is a big price difference (around 10k). Is that worth it to you, I don't know. I can tell you that the dealership experience will probably be vastly better, but again, I am tainted (see my previous post), and will depend on your dealer I guess.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Volkswagon and any Chrysler products are two vehicles I'd just never consider. VW does make nice looking/driving cars. My neighbor is a VW executive -- their HQ is in Reston, VA -- and he gets two new VW's (maybe three now that his kid drives) every six months or so for free. Tell me how nice that would be. His wife always drives an Audi SUV. He is all over the map. Always gets some nice Audi convertible for the summer.

That said dir-t -- enjoy the new car. It doesn't make economic sense, but it sure is nice. I just bought a used Acura MDX off a 3 year lease two years ago. Looked brand new and was 2/3 the price of a new one with only 25k miles, but it wasn't new. Maybe you'll get the golden one that poops diamonds. A little Chain-L might help here and there

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That said dir-t -- enjoy the new car. It doesn't make economic sense, but it sure is nice. I just bought a used Acura MDX off a 3 year lease two years ago. Looked brand new and was 2/3 the price of a new one with only 25k miles, but it wasn't new. Maybe you'll get the golden one that poops diamonds. A little Chain-L might help here and there
    I usually tell people to look at CPO vehicles. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. It of course depends on the manufacturer. Some CPO's are better than others. I am only familiar with Mercedes one, which is basically an additional year (no mileage limit, or optional 2 years, also no mileage limit) on top of the remaining warranty, which for Mercedes is pretty generous, 4 year 60k mile standard, so essentially you get a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on their CPO cars.

So if you pick up a 1 or 2 year old CPO off lease, you don't take the depreciation hit, and still have a good amount of warranty left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Not sure what your budget is, but the Mini I referred to in my previous post is an excellent car (yes I know, its a BMW)..
    That's good to hear. A used Mini is on my short list of cars to consider to replace my Pathfinder - if the thing ever dies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    VW does make nice looking/driving cars.
    WHAT!?!?!? Are you serious????? VW makes the most blandtastic cars right now and all the Audi's look the same...

Master debator.
    Congrats on the new car! It's nice that you will be able to buy exactly what you want. You're going to get some shade thrown your way by the Lounge because you didn't consult them first, but you'll make it through

I am lucky to be able to drive what I want, although that means what I want under $45,000
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    WHAT!?!?!? Are you serious????? VW makes the most blandtastic cars right now and all the Audi's look the same...
    I guess I was heaping VW with Audi. My neighbor drives some nice looking Audi cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    One person's "bland" is another's "understated".

IMO, Subies and some other cars either look bloated or aimed at the Fast and Furious crowd. Hondas look bland to me although the new Civic is cool - if somewhat immature.

The only cars that really make me drool are out of my price range (air cooled Porsches, Volvo Polestar, Audi RS, etc.). Some new Fords look pretty cool too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Congrats on the new car! It's nice that you will be able to buy exactly what you want. You're going to get some shade thrown your way by the Lounge because you didn't consult them first, but you'll make it through
    Thanks! I did consult the Lounge on which of the daily drivers to trade in. And I took the advice to ditch old Jetta.

Although, Andy69's point about my Pathfinder no longer being very safe was on the top of my mind last weekend when an oncoming minivan spun out of control immediately after passing me. If I had literally been 2 seconds slower I think I'd be in the hospital right now.

half-fast
    Congrats on the new wheels, and enjoy that new car smell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always like the VW design and ergonomics, even though we also had a VW lemon back in the 90s which burned their bridge with us. Enjoy the car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I never thought Audi or VW as bland, I call it clean.

Toyota on the other hand...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Nice looking wagon. I wasn't familiar with the model name and had to look it up.
    What color did you settle on ?

Master debator.
    Thanks! I did consult the Lounge on which of the daily drivers to trade in. And I took the advice to ditch old Jetta.

Although, Andy69's point about my Pathfinder no longer being very safe was on the top of my mind last weekend when an oncoming minivan spun out of control immediately after passing me. If I had literally been 2 seconds slower I think I'd be in the hospital right now.
    -
    That's right, it was a while ago, you should be covered. I would love to lease an Audi TTRS for the wife, don't think they are junk, but I'd rather rent and use it while under warranty just to be safe though
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

We have met the enemy...
    I know this isn't big news for most and that there's some VW hate out there but, at age 42, I'm excited to have my first new car...

Wifey and I pick up our 2017 VW Alltrack SEL tomorrow. I started driving in 1991 and up to now the only cars I've owned have been a 74 Beetle, 85 Nissan pickup, 94 Pathfinder (my current daily driver), and the 91 VW Westfalia.

As a frugal person I'm a bit embarrassed to be paying a premium for a brand new car but since we keep our cars for 10-15 years we decided to get EXACTLY what we wanted this time around. And the wife's 2001 Jetta is just getting too finicky to rely on for out-of-town trips - and there's also the fact that part of the front end is held together with zip-ties...
    Anyone who has kept a Wesfalia on the road has nothing to fear from VW.

I'm in the pro-VW camp. They have had problems with some cars (name a manufacturer who hasn't) and have ongoing problems with some of their dealers, but there is a thriving online community, good aftermarket suppliers and usually a couple of skilled independents around for hard stuff, once the warranty has worn off.

We picked up a CPO Acura TSX wagon just before Christmas--I mostly like it, but it does not feel Euro enough--and I miss the crispness of the Passat we had in Yrup, and even the lighter feel of the beater Volvo that we had been driving before the Acura.

You got a good warranty and a mature car design--enjoy the heck out of it.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I usually tell people to look at CPO vehicles. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. It of course depends on the manufacturer. Some CPO's are better than others. I am only familiar with Mercedes one, which is basically an additional year (no mileage limit, or optional 2 years, also no mileage limit) on top of the remaining warranty, which for Mercedes is pretty generous, 4 year 60k mile standard, so essentially you get a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on their CPO cars.

So if you pick up a 1 or 2 year old CPO off lease, you don't take the depreciation hit, and still have a good amount of warranty left.
    That's what we did with our Q3. It was only 6 months old with 12,000 KM. LOADED for the same price as a Honda CRV, but much superior ride. I love our Q3, absolutely love it. I did purchase the extended warranty, though, just in case.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a 1995 Passat with the VR6. Between the oil leak that required an expensive fishing expedition to resolve, plastic cooling system parts that required hours to replace, the ABS and A/C failing one after another, continually eating ignition modules, and trim pieces falling off the car, I've had more than enough of VW for one lifetime. I understand why people like the cars, but as long as I'm paying someone else to repair them I'll drive a different brand.

Also, the advice to buy late-model used is sound.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm not sure I understand the logic. So had the piston rings been easier to get to, you would have been alright with the part failing at 13K?

At 13K, it's most likely covered by warranty - don't skewer me if it isn't - and so if it's covered by warranty, who cares how much it costs?

My fiends MacBook just died (random restarts) and they replaced it under warranty mentioning $600 worth of parts were replaced. Should he feel any different about his MBPro going because it took $600 of parts at no cost to him to get it going again, say versus $50?

BTW, I bottom fish by taking over other peoples leases. They put money down, sometimes even trade in cars to lower cap cost... then for whatever reason they want to get rid of the car... which I gladly take off of their hands for the remainder of the lease. If you do the math, it works out nicely.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast