Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: A new day

  1. #1
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544

    A new day

    Started serious cross training today, 4 hours with a chainsaw in my hand! All dead standing or on the ground, 3 more tomorrow. It was -2 or -3 when we started 4 or 4 when we finished. At least 3 more (bigger trees) to knock down tomorrow. Gonna be splitting for a while next week btw, I am absolutely in love with my wood shed!!! No tarps and DRY WOOD!.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new day-fb_img_1515884702765.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  2. #2
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,198
    Cool place for the grill, too

  3. #3
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Cool place for the grill, too
    Considering I use a lot of wood in it! I need new wheels, I shattered one today! I do pull it out from under the roof before I use it.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  4. #4
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Funny, I told my wife that I need new wheels but I might need a new grill too. Her response, "yeah but you'll still have the wheels". Yeah, there's a reason we have been married for 37 years.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  5. #5
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Oh, she's not afraid to drive the bobcat either. (although I am afraid to ride with her in her car (shhhhhhhhhh)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  6. #6
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,247

    Very nicely built dryer.

    Question. How did you secure the metal roofing? And did you pour that cement pad yourself or/is it actually cement? Remarkable detail you put into it. Last question did you pitch the pad for water to flow away from the cords of wood or is everything level? I'd like to do something like that, here.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  7. #7
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post

    Very nicely built dryer.

    Question. How did you secure the metal roofing? And did you pour that cement pad yourself or/is it actually cement? Remarkable detail you put into it. Last question did you pitch the pad for water to flow away from the cords of wood or is everything level? I'd like to do something like that, here.
    Roofing is screwed to purlins spanning rafters cement has been there for year's, poured it for the kids to play on. However, i do not put the wood directly on the cement. Lemme find the thread on the building project
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  8. #8
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Very nicely built dryer.

    Question. How did you secure the metal roofing? And did you pour that cement pad yourself or/is it actually cement? Remarkable detail you put into it. Last question did you pitch the pad for water to flow away from the cords of wood or is everything level? I'd like to do something like that, here.
    here is the original thread
    as promised
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  9. #9
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    here is the original thread
    as promised
    And yes I poured the cement myself, well, 3 of us... 20 x 20 feet. Too big for one person (me)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  10. #10
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    And yes I poured the cement myself, well, 3 of us... 20 x 20 feet. Too big for one person (me)
    Thank you for posting details and photos.
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    508
    I haven't tarped a woodstack since I had an old tarp give up the ghost and revert to an interminable mass of polyethylene threads over the course of a year. I've been covering my stacks with plywood sheets, but when we built our new garage we added a carport on one end, and the outside edge of that is the perfect place to stack a cord and a half or so. Not quite enough for our needs. I may need to build a shed this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    I haven't tarped a woodstack since I had an old tarp give up the ghost and revert to an interminable mass of polyethylene threads over the course of a year. I've been covering my stacks with plywood sheets, but when we built our new garage we added a carport on one end, and the outside edge of that is the perfect place to stack a cord and a half or so. Not quite enough for our needs. I may need to build a shed this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apparently you are a much quicker study than I am Doc!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  13. #13
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    That last picture was just a start last weekend, we ended up with 2 more full rows on the west end, I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. It is all absolutely gorgeous wood, dead standing red elm or dead fall, not actually on the ground. No bark, no rot no bugs. Elm burns so hot that it leaves clinkers in the stove like coal does
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    508
    I cut a couple of big dead standing red oaks that were blocking our trail (we have a trail around the perimeter of our land) last fall, but never skidded them out. Lotta good wood out there, just need to go get it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    I cut a couple of big dead standing red oaks that were blocking our trail (we have a trail around the perimeter of our land) last fall, but never skidded them out. Lotta good wood out there, just need to go get it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You new here son? USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    508
    I'll take some when I hike out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    I'll take some when I hike out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I forget, how many acres do you have? I know we discussed it before but.... Well, I don't remember
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  18. #18
    Boobies!
    Reputation: paredown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,924
    No wood projects for me--I'm down with the flu. Nasty business.

    I love that woodshed--I'm still trying to figure out if I can combine a planned garden shed and a lean-to roof to some covered storage. Our problem is meddlesome zoning preferences--only one 'accessory' building and limited to 10x10 (unless you pull a permit) with a height restriction
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

  19. #19
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    No wood projects for me--I'm down with the flu. Nasty business.

    I love that woodshed--I'm still trying to figure out if I can combine a planned garden shed and a lean-to roof to some covered storage. Our problem is meddlesome zoning preferences--only one 'accessory' building and limited to 10x10 (unless you pull a permit) with a height restriction
    2 side by side 10 x 10, which is essentially what I did, but my roof spans the gap? Oh, and get better man sick sucks
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  20. #20
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    2 side by side 10 x 10, which is essentially what I did, but my roof spans the gap? Oh, and get better man sick sucks
    This what I have now.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I forget, how many acres do you have? I know we discussed it before but.... Well, I don't remember
    Just 5 1/2. I was out there today. Wood is a no-go for now. No way to skid it out unless I do something creative with a sled. It will still be there in the spring.

    On the plus side, I shovelled off the vernal pool so my kid can slide around.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,544
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Just 5 1/2. I was out there today. Wood is a no-go for now. No way to skid it out unless I do something creative with a sled. It will still be there in the spring.

    On the plus side, I shovelled off the vernal pool so my kid can slide around.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We used to skid logs out with the neighbors and their horses, just about the best way to do it. Getting a tractor buried really sucks!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Similar Threads

  1. This day in History day...The night of the long knives.
    By thatsmybush in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 07:20 AM
  2. Fry day foto day
    By YuriB in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 04:31 AM
  3. Yes, things are getting better, day by day.
    By MR_GRUMPY in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 03:31 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 12:03 PM
  5. Italy Report, Day 10 - Last Day [pics]
    By Asiago in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.