Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    I'm not looking for more power, just a nicer exhaust note.
    Just stick a card in the spokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    inline 4 cylinders sound like butt, and adding aftermarket exhaust just makes the butt sound louder

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gloombuttercookie View Post
    It's going to effect the warranty, don't do it, it's a VW!
    Not necessarily. You are right in a sense that some dealers would black list for modifications. These dealers are super shady and you shouldn't be going there in the first place. Also, when a dealer black lists you, it doesn't affect your warranty from VW. Most decent dealership will only refuse warranty work if and only if the aftermarket part was the cause of a failure.
    Last edited by kontradictions; 02-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by kontradictions View Post
    Not necessarily.
    Only if the problem is directly related to the modification. Otherwise you're ok.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Only if the problem is directly related to the modification. Otherwise you're ok.
    messing with the exhaust=messing with the turbo=messing with the engine=messing with the transmission

you could be setting yourself up for a more complicated issue with the dealer if you have trouble down the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    messing with the exhaust=messing with the turbo=messing with the engine=messing with the transmission

you could be setting yourself up for a more complicated issue with the dealer if you have trouble down the road.
    He's getting a catback, not a turboback.

Even if he's running a straight pipe, the wastegate will prevent the turbo from overboosting.
    Last edited by kontradictions; 02-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    He's getting a catback, not a turboback.

Even if he's running a straight pipe, the wastegate will prevent the turbo from overboosting.
    don't get me wrong, I'm not saying putting a cat back would damage the car in any way

but changing the exhaust gives the dealer a convenient "out" if they need one down the road. Why give them an easy excuse to deny warranty claims?
    you don't want to have to get all legal with the dealership if there's an issue

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    don't get me wrong, I'm not saying putting a cat back would damage the car in any way

but changing the exhaust gives the dealer a convenient "out" if they need one down the road. Why give them an easy excuse to deny warranty claims?
    you don't want to have to get all legal with the dealership if there's an issue
    Not an issue for me. My dealer is mod-friendly. They even sell APR stuff in their parts department.

We're no better than mice
    Not an issue for me. My dealer is mod-friendly. They even sell APR stuff in their parts department.
    I would spend the doe on an ARP Stage 1 tune and get rid of the diaper muffler that's tucked underneath the back bumper.

I would run out to a muffler place, have them cut just backside of the rear bumper-muffler [the one going horizontally], reconnect the outlet pipes to the Y. Look at the photo below. The long horizontal muffler get's cut out and the tail pipes are reconnected with new plumbing to the main cat-back pipe.

You get it?

Cheap. Power from the APR Stage 1 - no need for any exhaust mods really or inter-cooler upgrades at that level. Good sound from a low budget muffler removal. Couple extra real horsepower from a real tune.

Your foot ain't gunna be in it all day anyways. APR Stage 1 is good enough.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    The stock exhaust is stainless. Why would you change it if you don't have any other modifications? If you want a louder car to attract 17 year old inner city chicks, I guess you should go for it.
    Just change the chamber. Buy the chamber only, and have the exhaust shop weld it into the current exhaust piping. This will save you a ton of money, and achieve the same desired outcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I knew this existed, I just didn't expect to find it here....Why? I know the reason, but still...why?

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    I would spend the doe on an ARP Stage 1 tune and get rid of the diaper muffler that's tucked underneath the back bumper.

I would run out to a muffler place, have them cut just backside of the rear bumper-muffler [the one going horizontally], reconnect the outlet pipes to the Y. Look at the photo below. The long horizontal muffler get's cut out and the tail pipes are reconnected with new plumbing to the main cat-back pipe.

You get it?

Cheap. Power from the APR Stage 1 - no need for any exhaust mods really or inter-cooler upgrades at that level. Good sound from a low budget muffler removal. Couple extra real horsepower from a real tune.

Your foot ain't gunna be in it all day anyways. APR Stage 1 is good enough.
    What is the point of that large horizontal part that sits under the rear bumper? I'm not even sure what it does.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Not necessarily. You are right in a sense that some dealers would black list for modifications. These dealers are super shady and you shouldn't be going there in the first place. Also, when a dealer black lists you, it doesn't affect your warranty from VW. Most decent dealership will only refuse warranty work if and only if the aftermarket part was the cause of a failure.
    I'm fully aware of the magnuson moss warranty act, however good luck proving it wasn't the mods when the engine blows on that VW.

If it were a reliable car, sure maybe, but a turbo VW. Yeah, right.

S2H
    wut?
    I'm fully aware of the magnuson moss warranty act, however good luck proving it wasn't the mods when the engine blows on that VW.

If it were a reliable car, sure maybe, but a turbo VW. Yeah, right.
    VW is known for their reliability.

Love. It's what makes a VW a VW.
    Last edited by S2H; 02-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.

banned
    Oct 2011
    VW is known for their reliability.
    Umm you're kidding right?

S2H
    wut?
    Umm you're kidding right?

What is the point of that large horizontal part that sits under the rear bumper? I'm not even sure what it does.
    VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com - View Single Post - The devil is in the details

original thread it stemmed off here

Dude, you're really new to the dub-stuff.

S2H
    wut?
    Yeah, I'm a newb.

So that thing is basically a second muffler?

S2H
    wut?
    BTW, I have the same handle on golfmk6.com. We've sort of moved over to vwgtiforums.com, though.

Yeah, I'm a newb.

So that thing is basically a second muffler?
    No. That thing is the muffler. The "other" round thing is a silencer.

Here's a shot of your entire system. The front laying pipe set is the muffler [suit case sized shape] and the silencer. The background laying pipe set is the turbo back to the CAT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New exhaust for my VW?-69-lb.jpg  

BTW, I have the same handle on golfmk6.com. We've sort of moved over to vwgtiforums.com, though.
    You should just live closer. Less typing and more wrenching. I could cut that out and weld something in - about 30 minutes. I have all the tools.

A group of us back three years ago completed renovated a salvage titled 2003 WRX one winter in my garage from the subbie forums.

Link this stuff to your buddies over at gtiforums.com. Discuss with them alternatives. I'm big on DYI and under $200.

With a turbo charge vehicle most of the noise is muffled in the system before reaching the CAT and Silencer. You can easily live without the suit case [huge muffler].

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Never had a problem at all with my GTI mkv it's been 100% problem free with a little over 100k on the clock.

I believe it comes down to which model you choose I would steer clear of the Mexican made VW.

The German made models are sweet. The manual drive GTI mkv and 6 are simply outstanding cars.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    vw is known for breaking down.

Love your repair shop. It's what makes a vw a vw.
    fify....
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're looking to have a louder car driven at the same low speed...

Maybe my speakers suck but the sound hardly differs at the higher rpm's. In fact I even thought the stock one had a nice, richer sound at that point. Meh, get the Magnaflow if the price seems right for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    No. That thing is the muffler. The "other" round thing is a silencer.

Here's a shot of your entire system. The front laying pipe set is the muffler [suit case sized shape] and the silencer. The background laying pipe set is the turbo back to the CAT.
    Is that another resonator right behind the cat?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast