Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

New house, in-ground pool teach me, tips?

My wife and I sold our current house and purchased a beautiful crib on the outskirts of town that backs onto green space. Money!

The house also has an in-ground kidney shaped pool that is unfenced and sits towards the middle of the huge backyard. I also have a 7 month old son so safety is a key concern for us.

I was also thinking of just doing one of those safety pool covers rather than a fence as one day the kiddo will be able to climb the fence anyway. The house has extra locks on all the doors and door alarms which is nice but not sure what else I can do to make it safe.

I'm looking for tips and tricks and general advice from pool owners on how I can make the pool an enjoyable, safe experience for my family and guests.

-no glass bottles
    -everyone brings there own towel
    -you bring your kid, you watch your kid
    -one dedicated adult that is on pool duty when people are swimming

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by superflylondon View Post
    My wife and I sold our current house and purchased a beautiful crib on the outskirts of town that backs onto green space. Money!

The house also has an in-ground kidney shaped pool that is unfenced and sits towards the middle of the huge backyard. I also have a 7 month old son so safety is a key concern for us.

I was also thinking of just doing one of those safety pool covers rather than a fence as one day the kiddo will be able to climb the fence anyway. The house has extra locks on all the doors and door alarms which is nice but not sure what else I can do to make it safe.

I'm looking for tips and tricks and general advice from pool owners on how I can make the pool an enjoyable, safe experience for my family and guests.

-no glass bottles
    -everyone brings there own towel
    -you bring your kid, you watch your kid
    -one dedicated adult that is on pool duty when people are swimming
    A fence is probably in your future. Some cities/counties have ordinances requring a fence. You probably want to check. At minimum, your insurance company is certainly going to want one. I would check with them. A fence is probably the one thing that is absolutely necessary with a pool in terms of limiting your liablity should a neighbor kid wander into your yard and drown.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

your text here
    make sure there is a lil pool house. that way, when your son is older and working at long john silvers he can prime it to his sisters friend.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Backhoe. Fill that hole in.
    Cannot imagine even wanting a pool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor View Post
    A fence is probably in your future. Some cities/counties have ordinances requring a fence. You probably want to check. At minimum, your insurance company is certainly going to want one. I would check with them. A fence is probably the one thing that is absolutely necessary with a pool in terms of limiting your liablity should a neighbor kid wander into your yard and drown.
    I checked with the city and our pool currently meets the fence requirements as the yard is fenced in with self closing gates...etc but I still might get a fence for around the pool. It already has the holes drilled from the previous owner and a co-worker has a fence they want to give me so that should be ok. A few people have told me to just do the cover as it guaranteed safety. I like the fence idea as it stops the ball...etc from just rolling in when we are playing.

Fecal indicator
    fill it 3/4 full of river rock, add a few plants and toss in some koi...

makes a great pond.

pool ownership is hugely unappealing...
    eff all y'all...

Steaming piles of opinion
    Pull the bung.

Add ladder.

Skate park!
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Ricardo Cabeza
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by superflylondon View Post
    A few people have told me to just do the cover as it guaranteed safety. I like the fence idea as it stops the ball...etc from just rolling in when we are playing.
    Nothing can "guarantee" safety with a pool. It can only reduce the risk. Having a pool is a lot like having a gun in the house - you have to be vigilant all of the time. Even safety covers can be breeched by a persistant, curious, and clever child.

Again, I might talk with your insurance company about what they recommend. A lot of them are very happy to do this as it is in their interest as well as yours to have a safe pool.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    make sure there is a lil pool house. that way, when your son is older and working at long john silvers he can prime it to his sisters friend.
    My thought was that you desperately wanted to post the pic of Phoebe Cates just before the reveal, but realized that it would get deleted. So you posted this to remind us of the Phoebe Cates scene...

//greatest breasts in the history of cinema.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

n00bsauce
    My advice? HIRE A PROFESSIONAL concrete guy, that is. Have him bring in a couple of cement mixer trucks and fill that sucker in. No maintenance, no safety concerns, no worries. You can thank me later.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Honey Smack!
    Fence it, just having a backyard fence is good to make it slightly less of an attractive nuisance, but a 2nd one will also help from general accidents happening.

Also, up your HO liability. Whatever you have now, is probably not enough. Someone is going to get hurt at some point in/around the pool.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

No hero that's understood
    I had a pool and an infant.

We got one of those catch-a-kid safety nets installed. It worked like a charm, not only did the boy never get in, but neither did we. That thing was such a pia to take off and put on that we just never used the pool. The other kind of cover where the water can sit on top of it is just as bad as having no cover at all. My experience tells me that the fence is the only real option.

My wisdom has taught me never to buy a house with a pool as it is way more trouble than it's worth.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

n00bsauce
    A $1,000,000 umbrella at a minimum, and up your liability too. Holds doubly if you've got a swing set, dog(s), hot tub or other attractive nuisance.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Meow!
    You might want to enroll in the American Red Cross's online pool safety program. You and your wife should all get certified in CPR, if you aren't already.
    You can't change people. They have to change themselves. Just like babies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When we had to sell the family house, I was amazed that we were being told that the inground pool was a liability. That's when I learned!

My father did consider filling it in when a wall collapsed and the liner had to be re-done. I talked him out of it, since the cost to fix and fill in would be the same.....but I was a teenager and rather enjoying it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think that we'll not be fill it in.....we currently have an above ground pool that we put in which we love and use daily in the summer so the pool is staying at the new house. Also my wife and I have CPR training as we are both the health and safety reps at our respective employers. Funny enough my wife is right now with our son at a swimming class for babies and mommies...

The divide among the I love a pool to I hate it is huge! I have 3 people in my department who have in ground pools who say they love them and seem to be using them often based on FB updates. Others at work when I told them our new place had a pool tell me that basically it is only a matter of time that our son drowns and everyone on the face of the earth who comes within 3 miles of it will fall in and drown and sue me penniless! I try and think preventative and positive though.

I do think I'll and see if I can get extra insurance coverage (my wife handles that so she might have already) but again this is Canada and the first reaction is not to sue people but better safe than sorry I guess.

I do like the fence idea even if the backyard where it sits is fully fenced in, they have nice clear ones that you can install that I think we'll hire a contractor for. I already use a pool company to maintain our current pool so no issues with maintenance or time involved for me. I find it relaxing to vacuum and do that stuff.

I do think that the cover would be a pain in the arse to put on, I'd need to see a demo of how long it takes to install and how difficult it is but a second fence is going up for sure based on what I've seen so far. The covers I see are the ones you can walk on and jump on fine that look to connect to the deck spring loaded but again just looking at them it appears it might be a pain to take on and off. The pool comes with a new solar blanket and heater so not sure if that comes into play either.

Any other tips from people who like pools? If we do decide to get rid of it I think I would fill it jello for wrestling parties.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    When we had to sell the family house, I was amazed that we were being told that the inground pool was a liability. That's when I learned!

My father did consider filling it in when a wall collapsed and the liner had to be re-done. I talked him out of it, since the cost to fix and fill in would be the same.....but I was a teenager and rather enjoying it!
    We heard this when we were selling our current house (above ground) and when buying our new place.

We had one person who told our agent they liked our place but did not want the pool and would want us to remove it; but the first firm offer we received on our house was from a family who loved the pool we have and the custom deck we built around it. So love them or hate them I guess. Only took 10 days for our house to sell so don't think the pool helped or hurt.

Our agent warned us when we go to sell the new place the pool with do the same, either help or hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    You might want to enroll in the American Red Cross's online pool safety program. You and your wife should all get certified in CPR, if you aren't already.
    Great idea, I think I'll make my sister who is the most frequent guest at our house and her kids take this with us! thanks for the tip.

haole from the mainland
    A friend of mine has a safety pool cover. When she lived in a suburb of Detroit, she didn't need a fence with the pool. Now that she's back in the Cleveland area, she does. But they were allowed to put up a shorter, non-obstrusive fence.

The cover has tracks on the side of the pool and I think it's controlled electronically, not manually. You definitely need a professional to install the cover. The cover is very strong. They have tested it by walking on it. Once, her 200+ lb nephew jumped off the diving board onto the cover (he has autism), and it didn't budge.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    To the OP: get a fence. Don't even think twice. By the time your kid can climb it worrying about him hitting the pool unattended will be the least of your concerns. Plus, our fence is sort of a mesh that's pulled taut ... You can't climb it.

Good fences have doors that will swing shut.

A pool cover sounds like an unbearable PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Backhoe. Fill that hole in.
    Cannot imagine even wanting a pool.
    There may be NOTHING better than ending a 100+ degree ride by jumping in the pool.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    My thought was that you desperately wanted to post the pic of Phoebe Cates just before the reveal, but realized that it would get deleted. So you posted this to remind us of the Phoebe Cates scene...

//greatest breasts in the history of cinema.
    All of this.

Just this week I heard Moving in Stereo at a client's office and got all distracted.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Second on the fence with the auto closing gate.

Also make sure you have a walkable cover for the winter.....well worth it.

Finally.....Is it a salt pool treatment system or a regular one.

If it's salt....it is uber easy to maintain...if not...good luck.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    There may be NOTHING better than ending a 100+ degree ride by jumping in the pool.
    That sounds amazing. I live in VA. I've been known to turn on the sprinklers and stand in front of them, in my kit, after a hot ride. I'm sure my neighbors LOVE that sight.

OP, I have no advice, but I do have fond memories of going to friends' and relatives' homes who had pools when I was a kid. I'm sure your son will love it as he gets old enough to enjoy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fences suck. I have a pool net. It took me 10 min to install and set once I did it a few times and looks MUCH bettor than a crap fence that needs to stay up all the time.

Get yourself a PROFESSIONAL test kit for $60. Never trust the pool store.

Join a website forum called troublefreepoll.com and you will thank me and the members for it!

I have had my pol for just over 3 years now. We use it 4-6 days a week. Takes me 1-1/2 hrs a week t maintain and clean.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast