Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sounds like Sigur Ros might be up your alley.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yeah, but those are "indie", which I find rather dull and formulaic. Also, another person mentioned Nirvana, which I disliked for more-or-less the same reason. I really don't like anything that could be described as 'west coast punk', because it all seems like copy-cat music. I was punk back before punk was cool (I actually knew Jeff Hyman, a.k.a. "Joey Ramone" back before he was terribly famous...), so when these west-coast guys tried doing it a decade later, I was not impressed. Grunge, the same.

As for Sirius XM stations....nah. Once again, they're only playing what the record labels are trying to push. Listen to the same station 2 days in a row, and you hear a lot of the same music over and over again. Same as with any of those iHeart Radio stations. and as for groups that recorded in 1996....well, that's 20 years ago; I'm looking for TODAY.

College stations, for the most part, have become slaves of the indie labels, and all pretty much sound the same. I call it "edgy lite", where mediocrity is passing as being rebellious and/or relevant.

And, as for Retro Grouch....I'm trying pretty hard to NOT become my parents.

FWIW, I think what music needs is a few good old smack heads. For some reason, it seems that heroin addiction (or the proximity thereto) produced some really good music........

I'll check out those artists that were mentioned that I haven't heard before.
    Well you can give this a try: Live stream to 89.3 "The Current", which is public radio (listener supported, i.e. not private sponsors) from Minneapolis/St. Paul.

https://www.thecurrent.org/listen

They have been doing this for over 10 years and it remains a very popular thing. Very eclectic mix, not repeating playlists, and probably the closest thing you'll get to the college radio experience.

I'm gonna guess though that you're not going to like a lot of it though based on your pretty narrow description of liking sort of prog-rock-british-techno-offbeat stuff. They love Bowie, and I just heard them play King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" just the other day. Give it a shot and maybe you'll discover something interesting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    now at 50 I have heard enough of the music from the 70s, 80s, 90s for my lifetime. Need something new. But i don't like pop of course, and nothing on the radio either. I lived in Jazz for a long time and decided I can live without it too in my life.

but I stumbled across this playlist on Spotify a couple months ago called 'Portlandia.' It's mostly alt-pop-rock from last 15 years, but with an 80s new wave/punk/grunge vibe to it and then some. Almost none of it played on any radio other than university stations. bands like Franz Ferdinand, Penguin Prison, Death Cab, even some Bjork, Lana Del Ray, Empire of the Sun, Phoenix, Elbow, Washed Out, Jack Penate, Cut Copy, and about 200 others ... thankfully no Arcade Fire (LOL). Then I made my own list from it with similar suggestions from Spotify. Keeps me interested in music.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 01-07-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Sigur Rs - gtis Byrjun? Great stuff if that's what you're suggesting.
    https://youtu.be/QY60VAViupk
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Van Cycle View Post
    If it weren't for Nirvana, the Chili Peppers, Beck, and a little bit of The Smashing Pumpkins, I would have no trouble ignoring the '90s at all.
    '90s lo-fi is one of my favorite genres: polvo, sebadoh, dino jr, acetone, folk implosion, pavement, silver jews, etc. etc.

the pixies aren't really lo-fi, but they were incredibly influential in the decade as well.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    '90s lo-fi is one of my favorite genres: polvo, sebadoh, dino jr, acetone, folk implosion, pavement, silver jews, etc. etc.

the pixies aren't really lo-fi, but they were incredibly influential in the decade as well.
    Would you call Dino Jr., and Pavement lo-fi though? I only recently learned of the term being used as a genre but taking it literally I'd definitely classify Sebadoh as such but not those two. I've never heard of Polvo or Acetone but like the others you mentioned, a lot. I only recently learned of the Silver Jews and they seem really good. Pavement and Dino Jr. are among my all time favorites.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Sigur Rs - gtis Byrjun? Great stuff if that's what you're suggesting.
    https://youtu.be/QY60VAViupk
    Not just that but the band in general. They definitely qualify as "gotta be in the mood for it" type music for me but for that type of music I've not heard better.

a real member's member
    Would you call Dino Jr., and Pavement lo-fi though?
    definitely with pavement ... until their last album, terror twilight, which has some serious production on it. it's really good, but maybe not lo-fi.

i threw dino jr in there because of lou barlow, who bleeds lo-fi in most of his bands and solo recordings. j mascis is more hard rockin' punk or something. both guys are phenoms. check out j's drum lesson on youtube. we don't usually think of him as a drummer.

when you search "lo-fi," some stuff i love but don't consider part of the genre comes up, like american analog set.

another i forgot is modest mouse. his early stuff is really unique, melodic, beautiful punk.

acetone is a real favorite. i love jazzy, dissonant rock. they were sorta close to sounding like gram parsons on one of their albums (york blvd). so some of this stuff is more fluid and hard to pigeonhole.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I actually like Sigur Ros.....I just wish I knew what they were singing.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    definitely with pavement ... until their last album, terror twilight, which has some serious production on it. it's really good, but maybe not lo-fi.

i threw dino jr in there because of lou barlow, who bleeds lo-fi in most of his bands and solo recordings. j mascis is more hard rockin' punk or something. both guys are phenoms. check out j's drum lesson on youtube. we don't usually think of him as a drummer.

when you search "lo-fi," some stuff i love but don't consider part of the genre comes up, like american analog set.

another i forgot is modest mouse. his early stuff is really unique, melodic, beautiful punk.

acetone is a real favorite. i love jazzy, dissonant rock. they were sorta close to sounding like gram parsons on one of their albums (york blvd). so some of this stuff is more fluid and hard to pigeonhole.
    Thanks.

I found a few Mascis on drums videos on youtube. Pretty cool, thanks. He makes it look so easy.

I'm a pretty big pavement fan. Sounds like you'd already know but FYI the Stephen Malkmus sans Pavement stuff I've heard is pretty darn good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They aren't 'new artists' but yeah. Cool stuff.

OP, I'm in the same boat. I find that once I do find a new artist or two that I like, setting up a pandora station for them is a good way to dig out others.
    Exactly where did I imply Porcupine Tree was a new artist?

They may not be new to you or me but to someone else they are new.

Last.fm seems to have a better mixture of new artists than pandora when looking for new music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yeah, but those are "indie", which I find rather dull and formulaic. Also, another person mentioned Nirvana, which I disliked for more-or-less the same reason. I really don't like anything that could be described as 'west coast punk', because it all seems like copy-cat music. I was punk back before punk was cool (I actually knew Jeff Hyman, a.k.a. "Joey Ramone" back before he was terribly famous...), so when these west-coast guys tried doing it a decade later, I was not impressed. Grunge, the same.
    Funny, grew up with West Coast punk (DK, Black Flag, etc.) and always though the Ramones were lame.

Anyway... some "newer" stuff I've liked include This Town Needs Guns (check out the album Animals) Sleigh Bells (check out Treats--probably too harsh for most folks but I think pretty inventive). I like Jack White a lot--including recent solo stuff and stuff he did with the Raconteurs. Old folks that still make good albums--The Fall, Neil Young, PJ Harvey. Also been listening to a bunch of RL Burnside lately.

a real member's member
    I'm a pretty big pavement fan. Sounds like you'd already know but FYI the Stephen Malkmus sans Pavement stuff I've heard is pretty darn good.
    yeah, i've seen him a couple times. got to talk with him after a show in houston, which was cool.

he has such an emotional voice for often singing the most absurd, nonsensical-sounding lyrics. i love all the pavement albums. such strong material. the silver jews albums have more clever, meaningful lyrics, to me, but i like it all.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    The Fall
    highly influential on pavement. listen to the fall, and you'll be like, "oh, this is where pavement comes from."

Neil Young
    i'm crazy over all his 1970s albums, but four of them -- zuma, tonight's the night, on the beach, and american stars n bars -- are in a different category. they should have their own genre. they're like rock n roll's version of cinema verite.

PJ Harvey.
    man, that white chalk album is sooo hauntingly beautiful. wooooo. i have some of her other stuff, but her voice on that album really gets me. i feel the same way about jana hunter. she has a really beautiful voice. ethereal. and dark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    something from downunder
    the accent will be different at least.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...IHhE6AFqU8fh_8

a lot of fun in this playlist

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    Courtney Barnette. Jason Isbell. Drive By Truckers.
    +1 on Isbell. I think East Nashville putt out quite a bit of good music over the last few years.

Todd Snider / Hard Working Americans have been the first music I've "really gotten in to" since discovering the Grateful Dead 25 years ago.

Gary Clark Jr.

Not Banned
    I saw Crimson 3 times in the heyday of which you speak. I have seem later line ups as well, you have to approach them differently or you will be disappointed. I like Tool because they get pretty math-y as well, not to the extent of KC but not straight 4/4. Adrian has a new band with Stewart Copeland called Gizmodrome, pretty cool almost Talking Heads-esque with Stewart's wacky lyrics.
    Sigur ros is a great band as well, haven't heard from them in long while
    Here's a flashback on topic.
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 01-09-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

a real member's member
    ^ i love that period of bowie with belew. those mid-late '70s albums are so incredibly good: station to station, heroes, low ...

'stay' is an awesome track. here's the full show (with 'stay' at 16:20): bowie musicladen '78.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    +1 on Isbell. I think East Nashville putt out quite a bit of good music over the last few years.

Todd Snider / Hard Working Americans have been the first music I've "really gotten in to" since discovering the Grateful Dead 25 years ago.

Gary Clark Jr.
    If you like Isbell/Snider try James McMurtry,Darryll Scott and Sturgill Simpson. Great songwriters.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Frog Whisperer
    What Vaughn said, and Mark Knoffler.... Imo, one of the finest guitarists that has ever lived. John Hiatt,..... excellent songwriter.

Have been listening to the same artists for 40 years in a lot of cases, and they are still cranking out new music, Rodney Crowell comes to mind. Chris Hillman, one of the founding members of the Byrds just released a new album a few months ago (produced by Tom Petty)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

waterproof*
    Not a big prot rock guy but my buddy is, and he is also a huge Grateful Dead and Wilco fan so check those guys out. Of course he's also a huge fan of 1 Dimension and LCD Soundsystem and Phantogram, so who knows.

I still have not found a reliable method for finding good new-ish music that meets my tastes... every once in a while I'll stumble onto something good.

But really, prog-rock is old now, if you want long instrumental noodling you can get that, if you want big rock you can get that, it's all out there. But the new work being done is in pop, hip hop, r@b.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    But really, prog-rock is old now, if you want long instrumental noodling you can get that, if you want big rock you can get that, it's all out there. But the new work being done is in pop, hip hop, r@b.
    it was old by 1980, LOL. never underestimate the power of nostalgia though. us 80s kids would not listen to that oldie stuff back then

pop, hip hop, R&B is still an exceedingly narrow scope of new music though. Have to respectfully say, uh no those genres are not contributing the lion's share to evolution of great music today. The real work is being done on the fringes in the indy scenes of maybe 50 different genres today. Music is more splintered into numerous genres and the public has much easier access to these now more than any time in history. It's why the industrialized big-money music industry has crumbled, and we've moved on into the information age allowing in a much wider spektrum of artists. Albeit there is arguably less money overall than there was 20 years ago - not a bad thing imho
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    Wilco ... LCD Soundsystem ...
    like!

I still have not found a reliable method for finding good new-ish music that meets my tastes.
    type an artist or genre you like in pandora, and when you hear a different artist, vote up/down on it and/or skip it.

use metacritic to lookup new artists and reviews.

watch the "tiny desk concerts" and similar shows on youtube.

Russian Troll Farmer
    type an artist or genre you like in pandora, and when you hear a different artist, vote up/down on it and/or skip it.
    Problem with Pandora is after a couple of songs, they start playing crap like Lana Delray, or old Beastie Boys junk. Gave up on Pandora after less than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    What Vaughn said, and Mark Knoffler.... Imo, one of the finest guitarists that has ever lived. John Hiatt,..... excellent songwriter.....
    Not a big prot rock guy but my buddy is, and he is also a huge Grateful Dead and Wilco fan so check those guys out.....
    Geez, the request was "new​ music for old guys", not old music by dead guys!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast