Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Russian Troll Farmer

New music for old guys

I grew up in the 70's, and my music tastes and preferences can best be described as those artists in the 'orbit' of Brian Eno and David Bowie; prog-rock to post-punk. I listened less and less to 'newer' music when the hard-rock revival and heavy metal came, less still with rap (although I eventually warmed up to innovators such as Grandmaster Flash), and pretty much can't stand about 99% of country music. My background was heavy in jazz and classical, so I never warmed up to 'simple' music much. Since the mid 80's, only a few artists have caught my ear (Beck, Bjork, the Pixies, Bob Mould come to mind).

Last year, I finally got to see one of my all-time favorite groups, King Crimson, and......I was really disappointed. I realized that I should've seen them at their zenith (with the classic lineup of Fripp, Levin, Bruford and Belew), but now that's not going to happen. In the end, it was just a 'nostalgia show', nothing more. There are a few older artists who are still performing and actually making new music (like Blondie, and Gary Numan), but a lot of the innovators of that period have departed. Time to stop living in the past.

So, for the last year or so, I've been listening regularly to a radio station (WBER) that is heavy on "classic alternative" from my era, with newer alternative (as opposed to just Indie) acts. Most newer acts I just tolerate, but a few new acts have caught my ear, probably none more so than LCD Soundsystem. For the first time in probably 25 years, I actually have a reason to go to record stores (while they still exist), and look for new music.

So, for old of those out there who fall into the group so vividly described by Ian Anderson; "Too old to rock-and-roll, too young to die", what new artists do you find are worthy of notoriety?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Darling of The Lounge
    Between vinyl, cassette and mp3 files, I have enough late 1960-200X music to keep me occupied until I go deaf or die (whichever comes first).

Nothing currently out there is catching my ear. Then again, I'm not really seeking anything new.

I've officially become my parents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Courtney Barnette. Jason Isbell. Drive By Truckers.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Never listened to music, ever. My first discovery was about 5 years ago with an MTV shoot, Nirvana - About A Girl (MTV Unplugged). Honestly, never listened to any music, ever, some Cohen and Gainsbourg - but not really any time until these past 5-6 years. And I really love Johnny Cash. now.

Here's my favourite.

where Did Your Sleep Last Night
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heavy and progressive did I read that right?

If so so check out Riverside, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Storm Corrioson.

I will listen to Sirius XMU station a lot to hear new stuff.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28tZ-S1LFok

Phantogram "when I'm small"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:54 AM.
    -

Grateful Ex-Clyde(-90lbs)
    If it weren't for Nirvana, the Chili Peppers, Beck, and a little bit of The Smashing Pumpkins, I would have no trouble ignoring the '90s at all.

Neither of the following are exactly at their high-water-marks today... but I've enjoyed listening to a lot of tunes from The Strokes. Also, there's more to The Fratellis than the "Dagger."

For quirky fun, I've auditioned some stuff by Palmyra Delran. However, I might be biased by the fact that she's a local-made-good.
    Ecumenical Road Cyclist- multiple group-ride levels, multiple distances, multiple frame materials.
    Praying for the unity of all.
    Have Merckx-y on us.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:54 AM.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    In another thread I mentioned I listen to WPKN in Bridgeport, CT.

I can't recommend new artists as I don't tend to follow artist or music trends (and avoid ANYTHING commercial as I'm too ) , but I can recommend a couple radio programs that might offer inspiration to what you are interested in.

From WPKN, check out Colette Rossignol's Capital Radio program. It usually airs on Saturday nights at 6PM but if you're into downloading podcasts and such or just want to sample her program, you can download archived editions of the program HERE.

For prog rock in all it's forms, check out the University of Hartford's radio station, WWUH. Mark DeLorenzo's weekly program, The Greatest Show From Earth, airs Sunday's at 9PM and has been so since 1982 and is another of my favorites. You can get podcasts of his program HERE. Just select the date, then the program.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    -

Master debator.
    I listen to Sirius on my commute and I frequently tune on Hits 1 or The Blend because I want to listen to new music. I also listen to new R&R and alternative. Some new music makes me want to vomit (Ed Sheeran Justin Bieber etc) but I actually like some Lady Gaga and One Direction (some) once in a while. I do not live in the 80's like most of my friends my age, ugh.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 01-07-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    -

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Maybe not new but I’ve grown from jazz and alternative rock to electronic groove stuff like Bonobo, Thievery Corporation and Boards of Canada. A little twist on that also with Gotan Project - kind of a groove tango.

https://youtu.be/Jc7Lt5FLRiA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Subscribed to this thread.
    I don't have much tolerance for drum machines, I'd much rather have an inventive drummer that's less repetitive. And an overall "live" sound, instead of too many effects added in the studio.

Oh, yeah, I completely missed hearing Mazzy Star when those albums came out. Perhaps it was on another music thread that linked to this track: Roseblood (1996) youtube

The Boards of Canada: Dayvan Cowboy video (2005) is great, diving from the edge of space: youtube

Collective Soul Cat. Heh.
    Last edited by rm -rf; 01-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    everynoise.com

I browsed this, but didn't get too far into it. It's interesting to see, though. You can search "album" on the page to find the "album rock" entry, about 2/3 of the way down the page. It's interesting what genres this links nearby.

The link into "funk rock" has a pretty eclectic list of artists, most not considered funk at all, but the examples do fit.

From the description at the bottom of the page:

@EveryNoise · glenn mcdonald

This is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 1539 genres by Spotify.

The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.

Click anything to hear an example of what it sounds like.

Click the red » on a genre to see a map of its artists. (this opens a new page with many more entries.)
    Last edited by rm -rf; 01-06-2018 at 08:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Walk Off the Earth - more creativity like this please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Van Cycle View Post
    I would have no trouble ignoring the '90s at all.

then you missed Kyuss and Fu Manchu

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Porcupine Tree
    They aren't 'new artists' but yeah. Cool stuff.

OP, I'm in the same boat. I find that once I do find a new artist or two that I like, setting up a pandora station for them is a good way to dig out others.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    Courtney Barnette. Jason Isbell. Drive By Truckers.
    Yeah, but those are "indie", which I find rather dull and formulaic. Also, another person mentioned Nirvana, which I disliked for more-or-less the same reason. I really don't like anything that could be described as 'west coast punk', because it all seems like copy-cat music. I was punk back before punk was cool (I actually knew Jeff Hyman, a.k.a. "Joey Ramone" back before he was terribly famous...), so when these west-coast guys tried doing it a decade later, I was not impressed. Grunge, the same.

As for Sirius XM stations....nah. Once again, they're only playing what the record labels are trying to push. Listen to the same station 2 days in a row, and you hear a lot of the same music over and over again. Same as with any of those iHeart Radio stations. and as for groups that recorded in 1996....well, that's 20 years ago; I'm looking for TODAY.

College stations, for the most part, have become slaves of the indie labels, and all pretty much sound the same. I call it "edgy lite", where mediocrity is passing as being rebellious and/or relevant.

And, as for Retro Grouch....I'm trying pretty hard to NOT become my parents.

FWIW, I think what music needs is a few good old smack heads. For some reason, it seems that heroin addiction (or the proximity thereto) produced some really good music........

I'll check out those artists that were mentioned that I haven't heard before.
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 01-07-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    FWIW, I think what music needs is a few good old smack heads. For some reason, it seems that heroin addiction (or the proximity thereto) produced some really good music........

I'll check out those artists that were mentioned that I haven't heard before.
    I completely misread the subject of the thread, so deleted most of my poop. I thought the subject was Old Guys Music.... or something to that derivative.
    Last edited by Eretz; 04-28-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    As for Sirius XM stations....nah. Once again, they're only playing what the record labels are trying to push. Listen to the same station 2 days in a row, and you hear a lot of the same music over and over again. Same as with any of those iHeart Radio stations. and as for groups that recorded in 1996....well, that's 20 years ago; I'm looking for TODAY.
    Agreed.

When my free XM ended (1 yr free with new car), I didn't re-up. It is the same songs and artists over and over. Just like normal radio, but you can select the genre.

I usually listen to free pandora or amazon prime music. Suffer the same issues, but I don't pay extra for them.

Difficult to find new music. If you are only looking for the same old sound, you are going to be disappointed. Music does not stay the same - it is art.

I like this (https://www.music-map.com/). You can type some artist/band that you like and it word maps similar artists.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast