RoadBikeReview Member

New music from old guys who are still good.

Van Morrison has a new album, "You're Driving Me Crazy," which is a collaboration with jazz organist Joey DeFrancesco and his band. Good stuff. Jazz has always been part of the mix in Van's musical approach, but this is straight-up jazz singing for the most part, with terrific accompaniment. Very enjoyable.

Here's a sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBdreGU4Ds4
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Van Morrison has a new album, "You're Driving Me Crazy," which is a collaboration with jazz organist Joey DeFrancesco and his band. Good stuff. Jazz has always been part of the mix in Van's musical approach, but this is straight-up jazz singing for the most part, with terrific accompaniment. Very enjoyable.

Here's a sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBdreGU4Ds4
    funny I was listening to some Van Morrison today and caught myself wondering what he was doing now. Thanks for posting that... Van Morrison changed my life, in spite of the fact that MaryAnn had blue eyes, she was my brown eyed girl......Spring of '67. Talk about a flashback......................................... .....................................
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Not like this year new, but recently stumbled across 2 Robert Plant YouTubes of his Band of Joy with Patti Griffin, doing old Led Zep, Ramble On and Black Dog. As good if not better then the originals.

Boobies!
    'Van the man'. Nice cut... He's still got the phrasing....

(He's been singing a little flat on the high notes for a while now--if you go back and listen it was always there a little, but youthful exuberance used to carriy him past it. At least he's not using Auto-tune...)

I too had a 'brown-eyed girl'--a high school sweetheart that I am still friends with.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

xxl
    Not new music, certainly, but these are older guys, doing a Raymond Scott tribute, and well, I just stumbled across it, and...

Believe it or not, the guy playing guitar was in The Strawberry Alarm Clock, and Oingo Boingo (he's Steve Bartek):

He doesn't do much recording, mostly film/TV work, very occasionally performs.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Frog Whisperer
    I have mentioned it before and I will give it another plug. Chris Hillman has a pretty recent album out (produced by Tom Petty and release a couple of weeks before he died) Hillman was one of the founding members of the Byrds as well as a few other bands like the Flying Burrito Brothers and the Souther, Hillman, Furay band. He can can still hold his own!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Not like this year new, but recently stumbled across 2 Robert Plant YouTubes of his Band of Joy with Patti Griffin, doing old Led Zep, Ramble On and Black Dog. As good if not better then the originals.
    I also liked his collaboration with Alison Krause (saw her live some years ago and was spell-bound) on Raising Sand. Helped that T-Bone Burnett was involved, I thought...

I'll look for the Band of Joy stuff--I know they played some NYC dates recently.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I have mentioned it before and I will give it another plug. Chris Hillman has a pretty recent album out (produced by Tom Petty and release a couple of weeks before he died) Hillman was one of the founding members of the Byrds as well as a few other bands like the Flying Burrito Brothers and the Souther, Hillman, Furay band. He can can still hold his own!
    "Souther, Hillman, Furay band"--now there's road trip music from the past.

Just tried the samples on Amazon--on my shopping list.
    William J.H. Boetcker

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    "Souther, Hillman, Furay band"--now there's road trip music from the past.

Just tried the samples on Amazon--on my shopping list.
    Richie Furay, Steve Stills and Neil Young= Buffalo Springfield..... 1967. Music that started a revolution. We need some of that right now!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Good stuff.

Speaking of Van collaborations, I'm a huge fan of this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNevlS-zlo