Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New turntable

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

New turntable

Well what the heck. Bought a new turntable, a VPI scout JR. It's been shipped and I'm excited.

Gave my daughter my Technics SL1700 that I had ben using.

When I was younger, family didn't have money for a stereo. My first girlfriend in HS had a stereo in her bedroom with cool turntable. I was like WOW. We had a Montgomery Wards cheap 8-track crap at home, in the parlor.

Real excited, have my turntable throne dusted and polished, waiting.

Now I need more albums. I'm way too late to this obsession.

To those who responded to my electric guitar thread last year. I ended up with a Gibson Les Paul studio, a Fender Mexican Strat and a PRS custom PS2 in whale blue. I noodle with all of them on my couch.

Couldn't decide.

Peter

Eddy 53:11
    Congrats. Looks like a nice piece.

Why that brand/model? I just upgraded my entire home system and my, "weak-link" (if you could say so) is my turntable. It's a $350 Denon that's 4 years old and sounds just fine. Wondering what I -MAY- be missing with a "nicer" model???? BTW, I'm no audiophile . . . .
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm totally impressed. Enjoy the heck out of your records....sorry....vinyl.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

off the back
    Congrats. I took a slightly different course last fall. My Acoustic Research "The Turntable", circa 1985, which I picked up used around 2000, was in need of some service. Springs were shot, and I was experiencing an annoying ground hum, due to some frayed wiring in the tonearm. Did some online research, and discovered that there's a guy in the southern part of my state who specializes in restoring and updating old AR and Thorens turntables.

So after a few emails back and forth, I ordered some stuff from him to get my table back to new condition. New motor and pulley, spring kit, a used tonearm similar to mine, a used cover he had that would fit, new rubber feet, and a record weight. Polished the thing up with lemon oil, installed all the new parts, and the thing looks and works as if brand new. My records have never sounded better.

Only upgrades left are a new Jelco tonearm and a Zu modded Denon 103 MC cartridge.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-22-2017 at 06:28 AM.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Vinyls sound like s*&t.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Vinyls sound like s*&t.
    Ahh, but is it as s*&tty as your grammar?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Fake President
    Vinyl sound like s*&t.
    You've obviously never heard vinyl played on a truly good turntable/arm/cartridge combo, and through a good system.

I used to have a Linn Sondek turntable, and vinyl played on it pretty much completely blew my CD player away, to my surprise.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    Congrats. Looks like a nice piece.

Why that brand/model? I just upgraded my entire home system and my, "weak-link" (if you could say so) is my turntable. It's a $350 Denon that's 4 years old and sounds just fine. Wondering what I -MAY- be missing with a "nicer" model???? BTW, I'm no audiophile . . . .
    Why that brand? Well there are lots of different brands. This is a USA made one, sort of important to me. It got great reviews. If truth be told I can't tell the difference in sound. I buy for the look and "feel" of the mechanics. Really beautiful and it spins my prop so to speak.

I've been having so much fun finding old albums on craigslist and going to used record stores. Also there are these vinyl mania events that bring in 50 dealers to set up tables and sell. A really unique mass of humanity I tell you.

An article I read about turntables recommended a $300 technics, that is was the best value. Probably right.

To the lister that said vinyl sounds like sh*t. Sometimes. But I figure you're just a troll.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Why that brand? Well there are lots of different brands. This is a USA made one, sort of important to me. It got great reviews. If truth be told I can't tell the difference in sound. I buy for the look and "feel" of the mechanics. Really beautiful and it spins my prop so to speak.

I've been having so much fun finding old albums on craigslist and going to used record stores. Also there are these vinyl mania events that bring in 50 dealers to set up tables and sell. A really unique mass of humanity I tell you.

An article I read about turntables recommended a $300 technics, that is was the best value. Probably right.

To the lister that said vinyl sounds like sh*t. Sometimes. But I figure you're just a troll.
    Let us know how the VPI sounds. Seem to remember them having a very good rep back in my 'serious audiophile' days.

Turntables are strange beasts... there are many, many expensive ones that really don't sound any better than run-of-the-mill turntables (a lot of high-end Technics seem to fall into this category). But there are also some not too expensive ones that sound really good (Systemdek IIX, some Rega Planars).

The most awesome ones are pricey, though.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Congrats on the Scout Jr. table.
    That was the model derived from the short lived Traveler, which Fremer reviews and very much likes at the site below.
    I've always been a fan of VPI, they make great turntables. I use a Rega Planar 3 here.

If you never saw this site, it's worth a look. Michael Fremer knows his vinyl, and this is his site -
    Home | Analog Planet

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Ah, Audiophilia! Even this lifetime audiophile has been getting a chuckle out of how much the things can cost. The Hundred Thousand Dollar turntable (arm & cartridge extra). The Hundred Seventy Thousand Dollar per pair mono power amplifiers. The Two Hundred Ten Thousand Dollar pair of speakers.

I've actually heard some of this stuff at audio shows and high-end dealers. In a word, the sound is big. Lots of slam (in other words the sounds' initial transients punch you in the chest). Lots of bass. The musical instruments are giant-sized. Detail galore, both from the instruments themselves and the space in which they were recorded.

The trouble is, I've yet to hear one of these super systems actually make instruments and voices sound real. Go to a party. Listen to a bunch of people talking. Listen to them break out their guitars or finger their pianos. The sounds you hear don't sound at all like what comes out of one of the super systems. On the other hand, I gotta say that my modest system actually does get within spitting distance (yes, a lengthy spitting distance) of the real thing.

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    You've obviously never heard vinyl played on a truly good turntable/arm/cartridge combo, and through a good system.

I used to have a Linn Sondek turntable, and vinyl played on it pretty much completely blew my CD player away, to my surprise.
    My local stereo store used to do an A/B listening comparison for prospective customers.
    Source A was a CD. Source B was a vinyl version of the same song. Customers preferred B every time.
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    My local stereo store used to do an A/B listening comparison for prospective customers.
    Source A was a CD. Source B was a vinyl version of the same song. Customers preferred B every time.
    What was the turntable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ahhh... the good ol' days of albums. Are you using D3 Discwasher system ?

Eddy 53:11
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post

I appreciate your candor for sure. I'm hunting for some "good listening records" myself. Seems tough as people are demanding high dollars on CL and Goodwill is a bust I've also discovered.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Hey, if Keoki prefers to listen to The Chipmunks Christmas Album in MP3....
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Use my Apps :)
    Cool. I'll add to Old Roadie88's Discwasher question and add do you have a Zerostat gun? I still had mine up until recently as an antique out on display. Unfortunately it fell and broke.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    Cool. I'll add to Old Roadie88's Discwasher question and add do you have a Zerostat gun? I still had mine up until recently as an antique out on display. Unfortunately it fell and broke.

Zerostat! I still have mine packed away in a box in the basement. I have been slowly making noises to the one who must be obeyed about turntables. I figure only about 2 more years to achieve greatness.

Rega, me likey!
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Fun thread. I have an ages old somewhat upgraded (American) Sota Sapphire with The (rather weird) Well Tempered Arm and an Audio-Technica AT-OC10 pickup.
    Since my four way active dipole with ELF subs speaker system run it's crossover in the digital domain my RIAA is digital too.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    I appreciate your candor for sure. I'm hunting for some "good listening records" myself. Seems tough as people are demanding high dollars on CL and Goodwill is a bust I've also discovered.
    Check out musicdirect.com for new vinyl. Fairly large catalog of old and new recordings, as well as equipment.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Ah, Audiophilia! Even this lifetime audiophile has been getting a chuckle out of how much the things can cost. The Hundred Thousand Dollar turntable (arm & cartridge extra). The Hundred Seventy Thousand Dollar per pair mono power amplifiers. The Two Hundred Ten Thousand Dollar pair of speakers.

I've actually heard some of this stuff at audio shows and high-end dealers. In a word, the sound is big. Lots of slam (in other words the sounds' initial transients punch you in the chest). Lots of bass. The musical instruments are giant-sized. Detail galore, both from the instruments themselves and the space in which they were recorded.

The trouble is, I've yet to hear one of these super systems actually make instruments and voices sound real. Go to a party. Listen to a bunch of people talking. Listen to them break out their guitars or finger their pianos. The sounds you hear don't sound at all like what comes out of one of the super systems. On the other hand, I gotta say that my modest system actually does get within spitting distance (yes, a lengthy spitting distance) of the real thing.
    Well said.

And yeah, I remember the impress-'em/blow-'em-out-of-their-socks BIG sound audiophile systems of the '80s and '90s. It's just that back then, they cost *only* $20-50K or so.

Glad I never spent that kind of money on them, much less what they're asking nowadays... it's gotten pretty terrifying.

Best-sounding system I ever owned cost around $5k, total. Some of it was bought used, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Hey, if Keoki prefers to listen to The Chipmunks Christmas Album in MP3....
    Actually prefer the sound of CDs.

There seems to be a consent buzzing sound from Vinyls.... which is why they suck.

off the back
    Actually prefer the sound of CDs.

There seems to be a consent buzzing sound from Vinyls.... which is why they suck.
    Try hooking up your phono ground.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

DBT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    VPI makes great tables. I'm certain you will enjoy it. If the time comes that I need to replace my LP12, they will be on the short list.

What cartridge did you choose?

Record Store Day is coming up next month: RECORD STORE DAY - Home

The list of releases looks expensive this year.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The Music Direct catalogue I got today has a Shinola Turntable on the cover. Bicycles. Watches. Now a turntable. I guess those folks are just crazy for circular stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast