RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

New York Dolls or Velvet Underground and Nico

Which lp do you prefer?

Just got done with NYDs and I cannot find a bad tune on it.

Festina Lente'
    Are they the ones who did "The Humpty Dance"?

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Shrewdest Unit Mover
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrtwist
    Which lp do you prefer?

Do you want to rock or chill?

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Velvets. Venus in Furs rawks my werld.
    Last edited by Fredke; 02-21-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing. ---- Cormac McCarthy

A man can get disouraged many times, but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying --- John Burroughs

Poseur
    "Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean........against bars, tables, chairs, and poles"

AYHCSMB etc.
    velvet underground
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrtwist
    Which lp do you prefer?

VU...no contest--though I do like Johannsen and the dolls also.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I'm not a huge fan of either, really. VU has some good songs, but I really don't care for a lot of it. NYD probably have a few more songs that I like.

Even as a non-fan, I'd say it's an unfair comparison--they're contemporaries (mostly), but are really quite dissimilar.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    I'm not a huge fan of either, really. VU has some good songs, but I really don't care for a lot of it. NYD probably have a few more songs that I like.

Even as a non-fan, I'd say it's an unfair comparison--they're contemporaries (mostly), but are really quite dissimilar.
    Well they both did the glam/punk thing for a while, but the music was very different.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

You Phillip mah census
    Without question it's the Velvet's for me. Listen to 'Ocean' on V.U. It's pretty inspired for 'rawk' music.
    I once ate some biscuits Nico had baked herself. She gave them to a student friend of mine in gratitude for pushing her out of the way of a bass drum that was falling downstairs backstage after a gig she played in Birmingham, England in '81. They were O.K....just biscuits.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a big fan of the Dolls but I gotta give the nod to VU. They were a far more influential band.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprwstsdr
    I'm a big fan of the Dolls but I gotta give the nod to VU. They were a far more influential band.
    I think they were both pretty influential. Dolls inspired the glam movement and the hair metal movement while the VU inspired the punk and post-punks and grunge movements.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The Velvets were much, much better. Tough. Intelligent. Daring.

The Dolls were a good time, but honestly they weren't much more than a sloppy frat band who dressed in drag. I saw them in the early 1970's at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (opening act was Silverhead). They had the poses but they sounded generic. They looked like Bowie, and they tried to sound like the Stones. David Johannsen's vocals were horrible -- nothing more than a bunch of feeble croaks.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.