Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    speaking of cheerleading. I read it's quite dangerous due to the tossing that the girls do, many injuries have resulted from such falls

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Did the log fall on his head?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Did the log fall on his head?
    Yes. A massive cut apparantly and they could not stop the bleading.

A NY Times article commented that they were using a very heavy log weighing somewhere around 400 lbs., as opposed to what the Navy Seals use, which might be 200 lbs, though I question how accurate this info. is. No mention of numbers of students in the drill and lifting the log.

In the communities favor, nobody is blaming anybody at this point, it was not an official school event but was training sponsored by a football league, with participation by hue school team coaches and using school property.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Great news for soccer Too boring.

Great news for baseball.

I'm glad my kids have no interest in football. It's dangerous, and the guys who coach it in my area are all winners.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I agree that it was a stupid training method for the coaches to employ. I just don't agree with those trying to place the blame for this one on the sport of football. It was bad decision making by the coaches. Could have been any sport or training program and still have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Fortunately, it's not likely to happen in my remaining lifetime. I think I'd start watching professional floor scrubbing before I'd watch soccer.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    from the article:

In 2014, Bloomberg revealed that 50% of parents questioned in a survey said they wouldn’t let their kids play football. And even the players who have made fortunes from the lucrative game aren’t exactly excited about the prospect of having a football-playing kin. Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson told TMZ that his young son “won’t be playing football,” a sentiment echoed publicly by former New York Jets star Bart Scott.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I agree that it was a stupid training method for the coaches to employ. I just don't agree with those trying to place the blame for this one on the sport of football. It was bad decision making by the coaches. Could have been any sport or training program and still have happened.

Fortunately, it's not likely to happen in my remaining lifetime. I think I'd start watching professional floor scrubbing before I'd watch soccer.
    Curling is an exciting alternative to snoozefest soccer. Bocce too.

a real member's member
    football is one of the great games ... with golf and texas hold 'em.

i like what college football is doing with the targeting rule. it needs to go a little further with punishment if the hit was well over the top.

there are some things we can do to make football more safe. the 25 yd kick return rule could be increased to 30. or maybe fumbles caused by a leading helmet go back to the ball carrier. the game can and should evolve.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    If you think about it, other than the ice, curling kinda is professional floor scrubbing.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    No match for football's 30 seconds of action and three minutes of commercials.

Gives you time to mop the floor, have another brew, and text a Get Well Soon message to your neighbors HS quarterback with that neck brace.

Not Banned
    No match for football's 30 seconds of action and three minutes of commercials.

Gives you time to mop the floor, have another brew, and text a Get Well Soon message to your neighbors HS quarterback with that neck brace.
    5 seconds of action, 30 seconds of huddle, and commercials
    takes 3 plus hours to run a 1 hr game clock and in all less than 15 minutes of play
    don't believe me? Watch a game with a stopwatch
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    If you think about it, other than the ice, curling kinda is professional floor scrubbing.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LWP again.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    5 seconds of action, 30 seconds of huddle, and commercials
    takes 3 plus hours to run a 1 hr game clock and in all less than 15 minutes of play
    don't believe me? Watch a game with a stopwatch
    I believe you. That's why I DVR games I want to watch. I have my DVR skip set to 1 minute, and my DVR rewind set to 10 seconds.

In a typical game, I watch a play, then hit skip... once between downs on a normal drive, and 2 or 3 (or more) times when there's been a turnover, a score or an injury.

Works like a champ... a 3-hour game is compressed to about 45 minutes, or less if there are boring parts I choose to watch at 2X or 4X or even 8X fast-forward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    so a 400-lb log was carried by 4 guys? That made it 100-lb per guy, and the guy was only a 5'6" 134-lb guy, not exactly a big guy. Navy Seals only uses a 200-lb log. This lawsuit will get something for sure.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    so a 400-lb log was carried by 4 guys? That made it 100-lb per guy, and the guy was only a 5'6" 134-lb guy, not exactly a big guy. Navy Seals only uses a 200-lb log. This lawsuit will get something for sure.
    Sorry, I just can't resist:

Fake President
    CTE is definitely real, and it is casting a pall over the game.

That said, it's still the #1 sport in 'merica, and it's incredibly well-marketed. It won't go away anytime soon, but it could, very slowly, start to fade.

It starts, as your article mentions, with parents not letting their kids play it, thus drying up the future talent pool.

Even if football does fade, not sure soccer will a major beneficiary, beyond a certain point anyway. 'merica seems to prefer hands-skill sports, not foot-skill ones. And many of us still find soccer terribly boring, unless our own kids are in the game (rightly or wrongly).

I'm pretty open-minded sports-wise (I even like curling- it's strangely fascinating), but even I can only watch soccer during the Olympics or the World Cup.

I suspect the NBA, MLB, and hockey will get more benefits from the slow fade of football than anyone else.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Back in the stone age, our coach had us do "head to head" drills. This was before people knew about concussions.
    Yeah. Nobody knew stars, jumpy eyes, & dizziness was a concussion. It was "just a stinger."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

That said, it's still the #1 sport in 'merica, and it's incredibly well-marketed. It won't go away anytime soon, but it could, very slowly, start to fade.

It starts, as your article mentions, with parents not letting their kids play it, thus drying up the future talent pool.

Even if football does fade, not sure soccer will a major beneficiary, beyond a certain point anyway. 'merica seems to prefer hands-skill sports, not foot-skill ones. And many of us still find soccer terribly boring, unless our own kids are in the game (rightly or wrongly).

I'm pretty open-minded sports-wise (I even like curling- it's strangely fascinating), but even I can only watch soccer during the Olympics or the World Cup.

I suspect the NBA, MLB, and hockey will get more benefits from the slow fade of football than anyone else.
    I started liking lacrosse after my son played for a few years. It's like hockey in the air, on turf, with helmeted dudes bashing each other now and then.

Still not the same as a beautifully executed play in football, especially those long passes that the receiver jumps to grab sight unseen with two defenders surrounding him, and manages to come down consciously putting both feet inches inside the sideline. Or a running back who breaks several tackles, jumping and weaving, to make a breathtaking long run into the end zone. There's nothing like those moments in any other sport I've ever seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

That said, it's still the #1 sport in 'merica, and it's incredibly well-marketed. That said, it's still the #1 sport in 'merica, and it's incredibly well-marketed. It won't go away anytime soon, but it could, very slowly, start to fade.
    Leaving aside the Super Bowl, which while a NFL football game has become more of a hyper-event, recent TV trends can not be avoided. Slow but steady declines in total audience size across most of the age-groups is occurring, while more and more (insert day of the week) Night Football games are broadcasts. Whether this is CTE, too many commercials to fund the game, an over-saturation of broadcasts, or just too many TV/cable/internet/PDF gizmo devises marginalizing audience size is hard to say.

Will soccer overtake the NFL. I doubt it. But at my local parks, which once had pop warner football recruitment signs up all summer, have been transformed into crowds of parents watching their boys and girls play relatively non-contact sports. On Sunday the adult Latins show up for games people show have buy a ticket for. 50 yard-long centerback passes to a forward streaking down the sideline who takes control of the ball on the run, then evading two defensemen with Walther Payton footwork, and kicks a curveball into the upper corner of the net is entertaining.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Football AKA Soccer has brain-damage problems as well:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0215131600.htm

All those header tricks aren't consequence free....although US Soccer is into tapering off header-ings in the game:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/25/...s-4805684f63ca
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    What Happens When Soccer Bans Heading?

If the rules of the game were being written today, making head-to-ball contact would be outlawed — but they were written 150 years ago. Backed by research and growing concussion awareness, U.S. Soccer is trying to reframe how we think about such an ingrained and dangerous part of the sport.
    Thanks Marc. A pro-active soccer effort concerning head trauma is noted.

Soccer without headers and football without helmets?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    speaking of cheerleading. I read it's quite dangerous due to the tossing that the girls do, many injuries have resulted from such falls
    Presto. Cheerleading is on the list:

Sports Concussion Statistics:

•3,800,000 concussions reported in 2012, double what was reported in 2002
    •33% of all sports concussions happen at practice
    •39% -- the amount by which cumulative concussions are shown to increase catastrophic head injury leading to permanent neurologic disability
    •47% of all reported sports concussions occur during high school football
    •1 in 5 high school athletes will sustain a sports concussion during the season
    •33% of high school athletes who have a sports concussion report two or more in the same year
    •4 to 5 million concussions occur annually, with rising numbers among middle school athletes
    •90% of most diagnosed concussions do not involve a loss of consciousness
    •An estimated 5.3 million Americans live with a traumatic brain injury-related disability (CDC)

Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

•Football: 64 -76.8
    •Boys' ice hockey: 54
    •Girl's soccer: 33
    •Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
    •Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
    •Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
    •Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
    •Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
    •Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
    •Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
    •Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
    •Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
    •Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
    •Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
    •Girls' gymnastics: 7

a real member's member
    Sorry, I just can't resist...
    "no, sir. I don't like it."
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12