Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

New York HS Football Player Dies After Suffering Injury at Practice

New York HS Football Player Dies After Suffering Injury at Practice | Bleacher Report

They didn't carry logs back when I was in highschool. Is this log carrying thing an adaptation from some crossfit trend? I see a civil lawsuit coming though.

a real member's member
    this is why they ask you to sign a waiver.

and

logging is dangerous.
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 08-11-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The "log thing" is probably from the military.

If I get the story correctly, Air Force pararescue trainees perform an exercise where they carry a log wherever they go. The length of the log is such that it just barely slides into a bus they travel on (think school bus back door).

Navy SEAL trainees do something similar.

Not stuff kids should be doing.

Banned forever.....or not
    Back in the stone age, our coach had us do "head to head" drills. This was before people knew about concussions.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The "log thing" is probably from the military.

If I get the story correctly, Air Force pararescue trainees perform an exercise where they carry a log wherever they go. The length of the log is such that it just barely slides into a bus they travel on (think school bus back door).

Navy SEAL trainees do something similar.

Not stuff kids should be doing.
    Beat me to it. One of those military team/unit athletic building exercises.

Problem with using timber...almost all the weight in a tree trunk is water weight (maybe 75% in green timber). Evaporate most all the water, and you can lift a massive piece of wood easily by yourself. Meaning, depending on the tree and weather-the weight can vary quite literally by a ton.

For all the hand-wringing and sorrow over football-related injury....come September all the NCAA and NFL stadiums will be packed, and the HS football boosters in full swing.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Back in the stone age, our coach had us do "head to head" drills. This was before people knew about concussions.
    Same here. The coaches would congratulate us if we hit each other so hard, our helmets made a loud pop.

When guys got knocked out cold, they were considered to be cured when they were able to say what day it was, and accurately determine how many fingers the coach was holding up.

Fecal indicator
    we were admonished to not drink water during workouts in 95F temps.

it would give you 'cramps'...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Not Banned
    had nothing to do with football really

as stated, group log lifts are borrowed from the military as both exercise, team building and for the players themselves to figure out who isn't pulling their weight. It could have been any sport, hell it could have been Cross Fit.
    Football is a dangerous game, but this had nothing to do with the game of football
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Beat me to it. One of those military team/unit athletic building exercises.

Problem with using timber...almost all the weight in a tree trunk is water weight (maybe 75% in green timber). Evaporate most all the water, and you can lift a massive piece of wood easily by yourself. Meaning, depending on the tree and weather-the weight can vary quite literally by a ton.
    HOWEVER some wood is far heavier that other wood. For example, ironwood (eastern hop hornbeam is dense enough that even dry it doesn't float in water and while a cubic foot of green oak is much heavier than dry, a cubic foot of bone dry oak is heavier than a cubic foot of green pine. Still, it's a dumbass drill, hell if they are going to heft logs around, they can come help me harvest firewood!, I hardly ever get killed!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    HOWEVER some wood is far heavier that other wood. For example, ironwood (eastern hop hornbeam is dense enough that even dry it doesn't float in water and while a cubic foot of green oak is much heavier than dry, a cubic foot of bone dry oak is heavier than a cubic foot of green pine. Still, it's a dumbass drill, hell if they are going to heft logs around, they can come help me harvest firewood!, I hardly ever get killed!
    One theater I worked at needed to move 30,000lbs of steel counterweight 80ft up onto their catwalk galleries for their fly system....they called the local college team's coach, and the team played fireman. One 30lb torch-cut steel brick at a time.

Off the back
    Parents sign a waiver to absolve everybody under the sun against liability. Hell, we signed one for our son's (entering his senior year now) cross country that essentially releases the school from liability for any type of injury sustained from any kind of activity. It even stated something to the effect that such extracurricular activities carry risk of injury or death.

Carrying a log over one's head still seems infinitely stupid.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Exactly.

For all the hand-wringing and sorrow over football-related injury....come September all the NCAA and NFL stadiums will be packed, and the HS football boosters in full swing.
    Yep, my subscription for the U.S. College Sports package renews automatically... so I'm ready. I can get enough NFL through the networks that I'm not willing to pay for that package. But then again, I haven't been doing any hand-wringing.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Banned forever.....or not
    We were given "salt pills".
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I would bet that within 20 years, high school football will disappear, and the NFL will be waning.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    ..., but this had nothing to do with the game of football
    I'll respectfully disagree. Football has a history of macho behaviors including certain training exercises with tough guy names like "suicide drills" etc.; just read the other posts about the helmet hitting during drills.

You can train hard yet be safe.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Tom Brady sucks.

#FTP
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I would bet that within 20 years, high school football will disappear, and the NFL will be waning.
    Kids regularly getting killed on-field during regular-play didn't stop collegiate football in the 1900s. The NCAA was founded in 1905 as a result of Teddy Roosevelt capitalizing on 25 player deaths that season.

Not Banned
    I'll respectfully disagree. Football has a history of macho behaviors including certain training exercises with tough guy names like "suicide drills" etc.; just read the other posts about the helmet hitting during drills.

Bull in the Ring, Pick and Stick....
    I am familiar with the drills, I was a defensive end. My team had white helmets and we'd collect 'stick marks' on them. Paint from the other teams helmets leaving streaks on the white and the bigger they were, and the more you had was a sign of status.

We also had gnarly drills in wrestling, water polo and crew. All had tough guy names. Hell Week was double sessions of Water Polo. I broke a guys nose in water polo, so head to head contact (no helmet) happens in other sports as well. In wrestling they'd make the smaller guys carry the heavyweights around the mat. Not quite a log, but 240 lbs falling on you is gonna hurt

a real member's member
    ... broke a guys nose in water polo, so ... happens in other sports as well...
    i sorta know what you mean.

i got my mom's eyes and nose. got the cauliflower ear from dad.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Suicide drills and other training techniques with similar "macho" names were done by the basketball and baseball teams at my high school, wasn't just us football players doing it. The cheerleading coach at out school had those girls doing things that made just about anything we were doing on the football field during practice seem safe in comparison. Everything is potentially dangerous. Riding a sub-20 lb. vehicle amongst cars and trucks wearing spandex and a little plastic lid that just covers the top of your head certainly doesn't sound safe to me... but it's fun.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Parents sign a waiver to absolve everybody under the sun against liability. Hell, we signed one for our son's (entering his senior year now) cross country that essentially releases the school from liability for any type of injury sustained from any kind of activity. It even stated something to the effect that such extracurricular activities carry risk of injury or death.

Carrying a log over one's head still seems infinitely stupid.
    Generally those waivers are meaningless with regard to absolving anyone against liability, FYI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    One theater I worked at needed to move 30,000lbs of steel counterweight 80ft up onto their catwalk galleries for their fly system....they called the local college team's coach, and the team played fireman. One 30lb torch-cut steel brick at a time.
    Us theater guys are the only ones here who know WTF you are talking about. I LOVE my Clancy Power Assist counterweighted winched electrics.

Seat's not level
    Guess we'd better just have everyone playing field hockey... https://www.safekids.org/sites/defau...t_feb_2015.pdf

Then again, maybe we should keep the kids off bikes also... The four activities with the most injuries to bones and muscles include bicycling, basketball,football and roller sports."
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Not Banned
    I was thinking about getting knocked silly. I don't think I have ever been completely KOd but impacts that made me see stars
    Skateboarding, Cycling and I was hit in the face with a waterpolo ball blocking a skip shot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    New York HS Football Player Dies After Suffering Injury at Practice | Bleacher Report

They didn't carry logs back when I was in highschool. Is this log carrying thing an adaptation from some crossfit trend? I see a civil lawsuit coming though.
    let me guess, coach is an ex-marine wannabe?
    Not banned yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast