RoadBikeReview Member

Nikon folks, thoughts pleae

I am replacing an old Canon Digital Rebel and a couple of very sloppy lenses.

I want to go up a level of camera and had pretty much decided on the Nikon D7500. Touching the camera it feels plasticy and not quite robust enough. THe search continues
    . Does anyone have any experience with a semi pro or keen enthusiast level camera similar to what I am looking at? I ruled out the D80 Canon just as I find Canons not that sharp in low light conditions. thanks in advance. Simon
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 06-02-2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: changed original option

RoadBikeReview Member
    DX format or non full frame always gonna suffer compared to FX in low light (it's physics). That digital rebel is pretty much on the low end of canon's line. But if all you have used is sloppy lenses with no small Fstops.. well you are going to get what you get(or pay for). Overall I give Nikon a slight low light advantage, but I dont like some other factors of their RAW files.. their jpg files I absolutely dont like. Thus I'm still a Canon person and I'm just ergonomically attached to 1 series pro camera over the years.

The only thing that would make me switch is some quantum leap in Dynamic range... until then I stay put.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    What he ^ said on FX capability in low light condition. After using Nikon D700 (FX format) for a while, I would never go back to DX again. Sure FX costs more but if you don't mind getting into used market, it's reachable.

My decision for Nikon SLR was one features I wanted / needed that Canon didn't offer at the time (may still not) which was the auto focus freeze button on the telephoto lens (f2.8 AF-S 80mm - 200mm).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can custom function that feature with the AF-On button in the Canon world.. but again I'm 1 series Canon which is pretty feature packed.

Full frame is the only way to go.. if you are an available light shooter.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, I just went down and played around with some couple of cameras and ergonomically the Canons beat the Nikons. I guess you just get used to handling a certain camera soon enough. Yes I looked at the D7500 and it won't do. It's a bit plastic feeling so it looks like FX format is where I'm at. My wallet isn't happy however. The slightly used market looks appealing and here in Japan a heap of hardly used cameras up for sale as new models come out.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    My opinion here is probably hilariously out of date, but when it comes to the images that Nikon cameras and Canon cameras create, Nikon pictures tend to be sharper and less saturated (in other words analytical) while Canon pictures tend to be more full-bodied and pretty (i.e., romantic). I once mentioned this to a wedding photographer who was using a Canon and he gave me a grin and a thumbs up. In other words, choose your poison. As for how the two makes handle, well, everybody has different prejudices.

I also have to say that in the past fifteen years or so I've come to really love Fuji and Panasonic cameras. They approach (if not attain) a Leica-esque sense of visual magic while being far more inexpensive.

Sogno's Sony, meantime, rendered some truly superior images...until it broke.
    Last edited by Mapei; 06-01-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more material
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Another vote for FX over DX here, with the possible exception of a Nikon D500 (which is a DX camera) if your thing is shooting sports or wildlife where frames per second can matter. I presently use an old Nikon D700 (FX, 12MP) and would upgrade to another FX body if I could spare the funds.

If you're looking long-term and can wait, there are persistent rumors that both Nikon and Canon will be introducing high-end FX mirrorless systems in the next year or two. These likely will employ a new lens mount, meaning the "native" lenses for the FX DSLR bodies won't fit on the new mirrorless bodies without an adapter, so if you want to go all-in on the mirrorless idea, it would be best to wait and see how the lens situation pans out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    Another vote for FX over DX here, with the possible exception of a Nikon D500 (which is a DX camera) if your thing is shooting sports or wildlife where frames per second can matter. I presently use an old Nikon D700 (FX, 12MP) and would upgrade to another FX body if I could spare the funds.
    Leaning very heavily towards the D500. Other members of the family will also use the camera and the DX format is probably easier to handle, the D500 seems to do really well image, speed and available light wise although FX will always be king. Now the even harder job of comparing cost performance factors of lenses. Good thing it's a weekend. Can't wait but thanks for the opinions.

And winging their way to me now are, looking forward to getting out and about with it. Trip to Hong Kong in a few weeks. Yum. Thanks for the advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon folks, thoughts pleae-.jpg  
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 06-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Beetpull DeLite
    What are you wanting to do with it? I had a D300; loved the camera, hated the size and weight, so I replaced it with a D7200 and couldn't be happier. It's much more manageable when carrying around while traveling or hiking. I have zero desire to move to FX because of this.

At this point, worrying about low-light performance for FX vs DX is silly. Look at sample shots; the D7500 is incredibly capable. Don't rule out the D7200, by the way. For the current price it's a hell of a deal.

Go into a camera store and play around with them, and buy what you like. They're all good at this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ Weight does become a factor if you are carrying it a lot. Since FX format is generally bigger, it does weigh more. But if one wants to do a lot of wide angle shots, DX is a disadvantage due to its cropping limit.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    ^ Weight does become a factor if you are carrying it a lot. Since FX format is generally bigger, it does weigh more. But if one wants to do a lot of wide angle shots, DX is a disadvantage due to its cropping limit.
    10-20mm ultrawides do just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    10-20mm ultrawides do just fine.
    But at the cost of higher image distortion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks guys. I got a D500 with 18-300mm zoom all DX format. I can't see my abilities being limited by my equipment, pretty much the same for cycling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon folks, thoughts pleae-02612618a5a6d07843db1904708d86ef.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I can't see my abilities being limited by my equipment, pretty much the same for cycling.
    Yeah but when you are riding down the slope in wet condition, which brake would you rather have, DX type or FX type...

DX = rim, FX = disc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Yeah but when you are riding down the slope in wet condition, which brake would you rather have, DX type or FX type...
    DX = rim, FX = disc
    Fast and loose, like all the good ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love my D7100. Doesn't feel plasticy to me and takes great shots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'm still rolling my D80, love it...but it's a bit out of date. And I def want FX!