Thread: NNC - 3PiC F@L3

donuts?

NNC - 3PiC F@L3

decided to go out and do the local MUT today with the Long Haul Trucker - 10 minutes from my house were i connect to the MUT - pssssssst. no problem, i hop off, pull the wheel, get the tube out, find the snake bite and get the wheel back together. i'm nearly done inflating the tire when ARGHHHH i ripped the valve stem off the tube.

i grab out the spare tube from my bag and get things sorted out. i take care and decide to not put a few more in her. off i go - it's now 30 minutes since i left my house, i'm still in good spirits.

i get to the end of the MUT 12 miles from my connection point and hop off to stretch and then it's back on the bike. no problems, it's hot and there are a few more people on the MUT at this point. i take it easy thru the known congested area and then hop back on the pace.

i'm about a mile from my jumping off point on the MUT when i start feeling the back end bounce. look back and the tire is running flat. no worries, i hop off and remove the wheel, pull out the tube and quickly find the problem - another snake bite. dang.

i get things back together after wrestling with glue. i'm pouring sweat and can't get the area around the snake bit dry. ugh. i regroup and get things sorted. i am pumping up the tire and can't help but think the snake bite was due to under inflating the tire from the last flat. i pump it up and decide to give it one more and ARGHHH i rip the valve stem off.

i'm just under 4 miles from my house and it's time to walk. about dozen people ride past and don't ask if i need help. punks. a guy on a crab rolls past and asks me if i need some help - i let him know i need a tube and he can't help.

about a 1/2 mile down the MUT a woman stops and offers me a tube. i thank her and get it installed and am back under way.

my 25 mile trip takes 2 hour 45 minutes. cycling is fun, right?
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Master debator.
    You're a better man than me. I usually head home after the first flat, cuz I only bring enough stuff to fix 2. I have had a rash of flats lately, they seem to come in bunches like that.
    Sucky.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    What pressure are you running that you snake bite so frequently?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to hear about your luck, Ascii. One of the owners at my LBS sold me one of these:

I love the fact that it has a flexible rubber hose on the end, which helps to reduce the amount of force being applied to the valve stem. The hose is carried inside the pump when not in use.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    lay off the donuts.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA
    lay off the donuts.
    Bring along donuts, that way you have something to snack on while you work. I guarantee the frustration of having to change a flat in the heat will be significantly less if you get to have a donut afterward.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    about dozen people ride past and don't ask if i need help. punks.
    I used to always ask. Then it dawned on me that people should take steps to be prepared.

Of course, one could just have a horrid day, for which no reasonable preparation would have gotten you home, but whatevs.

I had to call my wife for a pick-up because I had two flats. I'd used up one of my CO2 carts helping someone else. Last time.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I had to call my wife for a pick-up because I had two flats. I'd used up one of my CO2 carts helping someone else. Last time.
    Been there. Learned the same lesson.

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA
    What pressure are you running that you snake bite so frequently?
    i run 6 atmospheres on the Surly. the first snake bite was due to the large bump i hit - the second was because i didn't pump up the tire enough out of fear of HULK SMASHing the valve stem.

i haven't had a flat in a few years but apparently i was due and then some.

as for helping others - i believe that we should look out for our fellow cyclists. it could be you needing a tube in a downpour 40 miles from home.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.