RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Non-contact bruising from working out?

I did a quick Google search and what I found can be summed up with a post in some weight lifting forum, "there's a lot of bro-science out there".

Anyway, I've been hitting the gym pretty hard this year by doing lots of light-weight high-intensity circuits. Twice now, I've noticed bruises that I think are related to my workouts.

The first time I noticed a faint dime-size bruise on the inside of each bicep, in almost identical positions. I didn't think much of it and didn't immediately associate it with the workout.

A couple days ago I worked out my triceps pretty hard then the next day I noticed a one-inch diameter bruise on the same position of each tricep. A day later the bruises were noticeably darker.

I don't notice any unusual pain so I don't think I sprained anything. I'm wondering if this is a sign of some vitamin deficiency or a soon-to-be fatal blood clotting issue.

Frog Whisperer
    how tall are you?....Can I have your bikes if you die?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    how tall are you?....Can I have your bikes if you die?
    Well, you did ask first. I'm 5'11". Are you interested in the MTBs or just the road and CX bike? My wife will probably want to sell the tandem.

gazing from the shadows
    WebMD says brain cancer.

You are damaging blood vessels, obviously. Are you on any meds that thin blood? Some supplements thin the blood too, btw, like fish oil. Nose bleeds recently? Are contact bruises more common for you now, or more serious? If so, you might want to get some blood work done, since the visible bruising might be a sign of slower clotting or something weakening your vascular system, which can come from a variety of underlying problems.

Small bruises are pretty common as people age, btw. Not a big deal, but something to keep an eye on if you notice an increase for sure.

What do you mean by "light-weight high-intensity"? As for a guess, given bicep and tricep, are you throwing the light weights REALLY fast? If so, you might be doing the damage at the end of the rep, as you reverse direction. Try a steadier pace with a more gradual transition, might help.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    WebMD says brain cancer. etc

Man, that's what I was thinking too.

As for your other questions/comments;

The only "meds" I'm on is a multivitamin that I've been taking for about a year and I've also reduced my alcohol consumption quite a bit in recent months (being happy with my exercise results motivated me to cut down my empty calories too. Bonus).

No nose bleeds.

I get a pretty thorough blood workup every year. I'll have to see if that includes platelet count or anything else along those lines. The doc never suggested that there's issues there.

I am indeed aging.

I think you're on to something with the comment about end of rep damage. I guess, for me, "high intensity" = high volume with little rest, but some things are pretty fast and that included a couple of movements in that particular workout.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    WebMD says brain cancer. etc

Man, that's what I was thinking too.

As for your other questions/comments;

The only "meds" I'm on is a multivitamin that I've been taking for about a year and I've also reduced my alcohol consumption quite a bit in recent months (being happy with my exercise results motivated me to cut down my empty calories too. Bonus).

No nose bleeds.

I get a pretty thorough blood workup every year. I'll have to see if that includes platelet count or anything else along those lines. The doc never suggested that there's issues there.

I am indeed aging.

I think you're on to something with the comment about end of rep damage. I guess, for me, "high intensity" = high volume with little rest, but some things are pretty fast and that included a couple of movements in that particular workout.
    A.) drink more
    B.) Exercise less

Well, you did ask first. I'm 5'11". Are you interested in the MTBs or just the road and CX bike? My wife will probably want to sell the tandem.
    Too tall... Got pictures of the wife, might be interested.... Lol

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not normal... odds are, I'm guessing here, broken capillaries kind of thing. What do you mean low weight high reps specifically? You know there isn't much use for that approach... be patient, wait out initial adaptation, give it at least 3 weeks and better off 5 if you don't lift much in a given year. Let that adaptation take hold and start upping weight. Stay away from weird low weight high rep theories. Let yourself adapt. Then do 8-12 reps. Classic. 8 until 10 until 12, add weight, 8... you get the picture. Your experience is not normal.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Sure you're not coming in contact with the bar on the lifts or pressing against the machine or pad somewhere?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by touch0gray View Post
    too tall... Got pictures of the wife, might be interested.... Lol
    lol!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=PBL450;5123900]Not normal... odds are, I'm guessing here, broken capillaries kind of thing. What do you mean low weight high reps specifically? You know there isn't much use for that approach...

After some more research, it's not normal but it appears somewhat common. I've lifted for about 15 years now, mostly taking off in the summers when my biking ramps up. I used to do the 3 sets of 10 reps, upping weight over time thing then realized it was counterproductive to the things I'm training for (snowboarding, alpinism, biking). There's a whole other world of workout theory centered around the ski-mountaineering race scene and given that I live in something of a mecca for that, there's a lot of gyms/trainers that cater to it around town.

A good example of one of my circuits is wall balls (15 lb med ball) > halos (35 or 45 lb plate) > squat clean and press (50 or 60 lbs) > push ups > sumo squats (45 lb). First circuit is 50 reps, then 40, then 30, then 20, then 10. Stuff like that*. It's the happiest I've been with my body and performance in years.

* Full disclosure, I usually have to cheat on the reps at some point while my wife blasts through this stuff like it's nothing. I worry a little bit about how much of her $ pays for her trainer 2x per week but, well, who is ever going to tell their partner to quit getting hotter?

Frog Whisperer
    [QUOTE=dir-t;5124067][I]
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    * Full disclosure, I usually have to cheat on the reps at some point while my wife blasts through this stuff like it's nothing. I worry a little bit about how much of her $ pays for her trainer 2x per week but, well, who is ever going to tell their partner to quit getting hotter?

Useless without pictures....you new here?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Useless without pictures....you new here?

She took this one

Frog Whisperer
    Nice try, looser. You probably don't even have a wife! (image not found)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Nice try, looser. You probably don't even have a wife! (image not found)

Aw, that's weird. I had a really nice picture of my mtn bike crew with a hugely spectacular mountain range in the background.

I couldn't host it on this site because of the silly 200 kb limit and apparently TinyPic.com is no more (without an account). I loaded it to my VW forum and it DID appear here for a while.

You got to move quicker.

Frog Whisperer
    Aw, that's weird. I had a really nice picture of my mtn bike crew with a hugely spectacular mountain range in the background.

I couldn't host it on this site because of the silly 200 kb limit and apparently TinyPic.com is no more (without an account). I loaded it to my VW forum and it DID appear here for a while.

You got to move quicker.
    The hell with it, sign me up, I will take her sight unseen......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The hell with it, sign me up, I will take her sight unseen......
    Oh, man. I didn't even see that one coming!!

Enjoy your weekend!

Frog Whisperer
    Oh, man. I didn't even see that one coming!!

Enjoy your weekend!
    I aim to please!
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 02-10-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    She's probably young enough to be my daughter

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=dir-t;5124067]
    Not normal... odds are, I'm guessing here, broken capillaries kind of thing. What do you mean low weight high reps specifically? You know there isn't much use for that approach...

After some more research, it's not normal but it appears somewhat common. I've lifted for about 15 years now, mostly taking off in the summers when my biking ramps up. I used to do the 3 sets of 10 reps, upping weight over time thing then realized it was counterproductive to the things I'm training for (snowboarding, alpinism, biking). There's a whole other world of workout theory centered around the ski-mountaineering race scene and given that I live in something of a mecca for that, there's a lot of gyms/trainers that cater to it around town.

A good example of one of my circuits is wall balls (15 lb med ball) > halos (35 or 45 lb plate) > squat clean and press (50 or 60 lbs) > push ups > sumo squats (45 lb). First circuit is 50 reps, then 40, then 30, then 20, then 10. Stuff like that*. It's the happiest I've been with my body and performance in years.

OK, way too much lifting experience to be some kind of adaptation issue... even wih the off-seasons. You are re-adapting quickly, so I'd think it was weird to have this happen. If you enjoy your workouts and you are happy with the results than it's a great workout. Doing hundreds of reps seems like a waste of time when you can force adaptations with heavy loads and less reps. Great circuits!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    She's probably young enough to be my daughter
    And that's a deal breaker?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    And that's a deal breaker?
    yeah it really is.....I have a conscience, or something.BUT as long as she is 40 I am good!(although my oldest is only 36 (day before yesterday as a matter of fact))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    yeah it really is.....I have a conscience, or something.BUT as long as she is 40 I am good!(although my oldest is only 36 (day before yesterday as a matter of fact))
    42 actually

Frog Whisperer
    whew...... good thing since i already committed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I noticed a faint dime-size bruise on the inside of each bicep, in almost identical positions..
    I get those when I do easy bar curls on a preacher bench with high weight.
    Two warmup sets 10x65 pounds, 10x85 pounds.
    Five work sets 5x105 to 5x125.

High intensity as you describe might cause more tissue damage. Instead of steady load on the muscle you have sudden pulls.