Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Nor'easter

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,544

    Nor'easter

    With each update, the forecast looks worse. We're now in the middle of the 18-24" band. No riding, but it looks like I'll get a shovel workout this weekend.

    That is all.

  2. #2
    hold my beer n watch this
    Reputation: FlynG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,755
    Isn't that what kids are for?
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal — kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

  3. #3
    Always changing.....
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    With each update, the forecast looks worse. We're now in the middle of the 18-24" band. No riding, but it looks like I'll get a shovel workout this weekend.

    That is all.
    That woodchuck needs a good kick in the furry ass. No looking forward to this; just delays spring riding time.

  4. #4
    Dr. Buzz Killington
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,758
    Just remove the tires and ride your bike like an ice skate.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,544
    I think there'll be enough to go around. Anyway, if I can't ride, I gotta do something for a workout. Might as well do something useful. The timing is good on this one, at least. We'll have a whole Sunday to dig out.

  6. #6
    Dr. Buzz Killington
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,758
    This guy would like you to refer to rule #76.

    Name:  518f9c0646aba28e86e4c4b28529.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  22.9 KB

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    This guy would like you to refer to rule #76.
    Ha. I want to see him ride that thing in drifts above the hubs.

  8. #8
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Ha. I want to see him ride that thing in drifts above the hubs.
    You're worrying too much. I would panic if it was like the storm that hit New England late Octobre 2011 with full foliage. A dump of snow, in excess of 2 feet is not as rare as the weather forecasters make it out to be. Many of the debatable amounts over the past 150 years were recorded and averaged and did not represent the majority of the state. An example is Connecticut. Everything is registered up in Bradley Air Port on the Massachusetts border. I've seen 3-4 inches of rain drop in southern shore regions spring times and Bradley would register 1/10th of an inch of precipitation. Pioneer Valley in not a true reading for an entire state [where Bradley is situated far centre north]. All that to say, you have to wonder why the panic sets in. Answer? Insurance companies subsidise an enormous amount of a meteorological broadcasting station. I know that WVIT and a few others are backed by Aetna and Travelers Insurance groups. Some by Allied. They have a reason to panic people ...they don't want to pay out claims. They want you off the roads.

    You come up to northern New York State, these people in Syracuse for instance have the highest snow fall of any city population over 50,000 in the USA. They never delay schools or close down businesses. People just make their way through it some how.

    I think that we're spoiled in New England with the warmer and lighter snow falls over the past several decades. There were times from what the olde timers told me it would snow from Novembre to April in Connecticut and Massachusetts. You had hurricanes, floods, tornadoes and hail too. We've become very soft on bad weather.

    Just hang in there. Remember your elderly in your neighborhoods and those that can't get out to get their medications filled or food in case of power outages. Knock on doors and check.

    hang in there.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    You're worrying too much.
    Did I say I was worried?

    And I see no signs of panic, just people getting prepared, and wisely planning to be off the roads as much as possible. It'll be inconvenient for a few days. biggest worry is power outages, which could be substantial and slow to repair.

    Syracuse does occasionally delay and close things, (I've had kids in school there, and one son lives in Rochester now) but they do deal with the snow well. Their average snowfall is about triple Hartford's but the number of large (foot +) storms is about the same. They get lots of 6-inch lake effect days, and that adds up, but the clearing problems with each storm are not as drastic. A big Nor'easter is a bit of a special case, with the large area receiving heavy snowfalls, and the population density of the New York to Boston corrider, which is vastly different than upstate.

    I live in the Hartford area (I work for one of those insurance companies). I remember October 2011 quite well.

    I don't think any of the state's insurance companies have had any ownership interest in any broadcast outlet for some years now. WVIT has been owned by NBC since 15 years ago, and was owned by Viacom for at least 10 years before that. Travelers started WTIC radio a long time ago, and later the TV station of the same call letters, but got out of the broadcast business 40 years ago.

    Aetna is a health insurance company. The only "Allied" insurance company I know of is headquartered in Iowa.

    I don't think the weather outlets' coverage of storms has anything to do with any purported insurance company influence.

    Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure we'll be fine. We've had, unfortunately, a great deal of experience dealing with weather-related power outages in the last year and a half. So we're ready for the hassle. I hope CL&P gets the power back on in less than a week (or that it doesn't go out at all), but we'll survive in any event.

    I'm kind of looking forward to the shoveling, perverse as that sounds ;-)

  10. #10
    Low rep power
    Reputation: saf-t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,202
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'm kind of looking forward to the shoveling, perverse as that sounds ;-)
    Well, you're more than welcome to travel a couple of hours north and do my driveway I'll provide food and good beer
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

    “The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

  11. #11
    Slightly Opinionated
    Reputation: robdamanii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10,212
    I'm most pissed that this may impact our Sunday shop ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.


    The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

  12. #12
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Did I say I was worried?

    And I see no signs of panic, just people getting prepared, and wisely planning to be off the roads as much as possible. It'll be inconvenient for a few days. biggest worry is power outages, which could be substantial and slow to repair.
    I guess its a day where choosing words or trying to express myself in biting me in the a$$.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Syracuse does occasionally delay and close things, (I've had kids in school there, and one son lives in Rochester now) but they do deal with the snow well. Their average snowfall is about triple Hartford's but the number of large (foot +) storms is about the same. They get lots of 6-inch lake effect days, and that adds up, but the clearing problems with each storm are not as drastic. A big Nor'easter is a bit of a special case, with the large area receiving heavy snowfalls, and the population density of the New York to Boston corrider, which is vastly different than upstate.
    If you take the 6 inch snow falls in the Hartford area and add up their delayed or cancelled closings vs. the Syracuse closings for the same amounts ...I guess Syracuse does handle their smaller snow falls or 6-8 inches better than Hartford.



    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I live in the Hartford area (I work for one of those insurance companies). I remember October 2011 quite well.
    You don't ride east of Hartford do you? Ever been on the roads near MCC? I'm in the Norwalk area. We should get together a Sunday.


    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I don't think any of the state's insurance companies have had any ownership interest in any broadcast outlet for some years now.
    This is true


    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    WVIT has been owned by NBC since 15 years ago, and was owned by Viacom for at least 10 years before that. Travelers started WTIC radio a long time ago, and later the TV station of the same call letters, but got out of the broadcast business 40 years ago.

    Aetna is a health insurance company. The only "Allied" insurance company I know of is headquartered in Iowa.

    I don't think the weather outlets' coverage of storms has anything to do with any purported insurance company influence.
    From what I've understood from friends working in Hartford with insurance was that the insurance companies spend ad time on local networks, like channel 3, 8, 20, 30, 43, 49, 59, 61, talk radio stations [more importantly during weather forecasts or weather "info and safety" tips and advisories].

    The Allied Group is an Umbrella group of travelers and AAA. You can get car insurance from AAA from the Allied Group. AAA bought them a while a go.... full circle theory.


    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure we'll be fine. We've had, unfortunately, a great deal of experience dealing with weather-related power outages in the last year and a half. So we're ready for the hassle. I hope CL&P gets the power back on in less than a week (or that it doesn't go out at all), but we'll survive in any event.

    I'm kind of looking forward to the shoveling, perverse as that sounds ;-)
    Rubber side up!

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,544
    I live east of Hartford (Glastonbury). I often ride in Manchester, Bolton, Hebron, etc. Nice roads, good hills.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,310
    no riding? why not?
    Pugsley | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Not banned yet.

  15. #15
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I live east of Hartford (Glastonbury). I often ride in Manchester, Bolton, Hebron, etc. Nice roads, good hills.
    We've waved. You were riding in mid-winter last year on Hillstown Rd. Just before the college, on the right, [before "Deaf Child" sign] there's a State Trooper who's selling his house with a pond on his property and a Weeping Willow. I was coming out of that driveway. I never forget a burqa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nor'easter-ride.jpg  

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,997
    You come up to northern New York State, these people in Syracuse for instance have the highest snow fall of any city population over 50,000 in the USA. They never delay schools or close down businesses. People just make their way through it some how.

    When I was in 5th grade, we moved from Long Island to Buffalo for a year before moving back. My sister and I were SO excited- it snows a lot up there, which would mean no more school EVER!!!

    Pffffft. We quickly learned that it was quite the contrary- no SNOW DAYS ever.

    The hype is a bit much. Two feet of snow used to mean "winter," not "EPIC EMERGENCY SNOW EVENT." Sheeeeeesh. I kept hearing the Emergency Broadcast System's classic "boooooooooop" tone today as phones kept getting alerts.

    Guess it's a good thing- I wasn't expecting much after all the "hurricane hype" so what the hell do I know. Except that we might get a SNOW DAY tomorrow!!

  17. #17
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,369

    Nor'easter

    snowboarding time!!!
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  18. #18
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,520
    I was born in upstate New York, and we left a small town around Syracuse when I was 8, I think.

    I remember snow accumulation that would simply cripple us here one state down.

    They get by up there with grim determination and the comforting knowledge that there will be another July.

    All you nor'easter folks in the path, good luck and go buy milk and bread before it's all gone.

    /wishing for a snow day.

  19. #19
    donuts?
    Reputation: asciibaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,922
    i am in Maryland this weekend and am missing the snow in Philly.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    i am in Maryland this weekend and am missing the snow in Philly.
    You're not missing much, it's raining.

  21. #21
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,177
    East Coast storm of the century - Just like last year...

    HTFU.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG View Post
    Isn't that what kids are for?
    And neighbors kids

  23. #23
    Low rep power
    Reputation: saf-t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,202
    My Nokians ftw
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

    “The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mpre53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,131
    In Massachusetts, the governor just issued a statewide travel ban, beginning at 4 PM. I'm here at the very beginning of Cape Cod, by the bridges, and there isn't enough snow to use anything more than a broom to clear. The roads are wet but clear. Been snowing since about 10 this morning, and it isn't sticking to much yet.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ExChefinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    587
    I've got the gopro charged up and ready to be put into service later today when the snow starts to get heavier. I'm going to have it shoot time lapse, 1 minute intervals.



    I am always amused by people who live in New England and can't drive in snow or complain about the cold. You live here by CHOICE, nobody is forcing you to stay. Heck, I MOVED here.

    EEC
    ExChef

    -----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

    Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014.

    Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook