Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Is anyone here good at matching rods, reels, and lines? Seems like just about every time I'm out with my 7' Ugly Stik, I get a whopper of a bird's nest and have to spend 10 minutes or so fixing it. There's obviously something wrong with the rod and reel combo, because this happens regularly no matter what line I'm using.
    Operator error is generally the most likely explanation. However, some types of line are best suited to spinning and baitcasting reels respectively. There's the out; it may not be you. A spinning reel that is overloaded with line will often spill out a bird's nest of coiled line when cast, so that is something to look out for.

  2. #27
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22,010
    Different kind of fishing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  3. #28
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    ...A spinning reel that is overloaded with line will often spill out a bird's nest of coiled line when cast, so that is something to look out for.
    I second this.

    Also, hey, Len.

    Nice fish.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,895
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I use a swivel all the time. There's some weird correlation when casting between the rod pre-loading the line with tension, the weight of the bait and lure using that preload to get a little more distance with each cast, and the size, speed, and location of the spool on the reel in relation to the first eyelet providing proper tension when reeling in. If anything along that chain of events is amiss, that can cause the line to be spooled improperly, so next time you cast, it goes out in a mess. I realized, while typing all that, how incredibly silly and convoluted it sounds...but, obviously, the best solution is a new rod and/or reel

    I do find it odd how regularly I get bird's nests with one specific rod though...There's at least some grain of truth in the conundrum above...
    No argument here.

    Line tension is definitely a factor. But I can't think of how that has anything to do with anything but resistance of what's you're reeling in.

    Whatever, time for a new rod and reel.

    I still have the same Ugly Stik I got for Christmas when they first came out circa 1977. Love it. I just can't get a feel for anything else including newer ugly sticks. It's seen at least 10 different reels come and go.

  5. #30
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No argument here.

    Line tension is definitely a factor. But I can't think of how that has anything to do with anything but resistance of what's you're reeling in.

    Whatever, time for a new rod and reel.

    I still have the same Ugly Stik I got for Christmas when they first came out circa 1977. Love it. I just can't get a feel for anything else including newer ugly sticks. It's seen at least 10 different reels come and go.
    Something's obviously changed...The rod and reel combo worked fine for years, then I tried some Maxima line, and nothing's functioned properly since then. I swapped reels, tried many types of monofilament, flourocarbon, and braided lines, and that one particular rod is still giving me conniptions. I began reading into it, and discovered all that jazz in the previous post about preloading and tension, so I did all the online "cures" or fixes, and still nothing changed.

    But, enough of that. I was out along the river last night and nearly fell in!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,895
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    But, enough of that. I was out along the river last night and nearly fell in!
    happens to the best of us.

    I've fell from about 10 feet up in a tree into a river. The fall wasn't too bad.....but the hook from the lure I was rescuing clear though my finger was not pleasant.

  7. #32
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,959
    I am not a fishing addict but looking forward to this year. I built a new 21 foot skiff to go up in the rocks in the Susquehanna. After I get locked into a floating Golden Corral for 12 days (cruise), I am going to start perch jerking (white perch) and shad and herring fishing. I could catch a 100 perch a day when they start.

    Len, fly in and hang for a while and fish.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No argument here.

    Line tension is definitely a factor. But I can't think of how that has anything to do with anything but resistance of what's you're reeling in.

    Whatever, time for a new rod and reel.

    I still have the same Ugly Stik I got for Christmas when they first came out circa 1977. Love it. I just can't get a feel for anything else including newer ugly sticks. It's seen at least 10 different reels come and go.
    You just took me back to a day where my dad tried to show me how great ugly stick rods were. This had to be around 90 or 91. He proceeds to pull a 6 or 7 footer off the rack at a local walmart and bends it tip to the base of the handle and it snaps right in half. He had a stunned look of shock on his face and we left the building. Of course, I got the proverbial " they don't make em' like they used too"

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Rest in piece old man...

    Back to the OT, I'm looking forward to chasing walleye on Lake Erie this summer. Always good times if the fish are biting or not.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,895
    Quote Originally Posted by OHroadie View Post
    You just took me back to a day where my dad tried to show me how great ugly stick rods were. This had to be around 90 or 91. He proceeds to pull a 6 or 7 footer off the rack at a local walmart and bends it tip to the base of the handle and it snaps right in half. He had a stunned look of shock on his face and we left the building. Of course, I got the proverbial " they don't make em' like they used too"

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Rest in piece old man...

    that's hilarious. He was definitely correct. Mine passes that test and has been run over and slammed in car doors and it's fine.

    At some point they started making two versions of it. The good and expensive one you'd see in a specialty fishing shop and then a 'self knock off' that they'd sell at Walmart and the like.

  10. #35
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,598
    Well, fishing season ended in March here in Michigan. I haven't gotten a new license yet. What really threw me for a loop was seeing 6 fresh trout for sale in Costco for $14...a little over $2 a fish. Last year, I spent $26 on a license, and lost countless lures at $5 apiece, for one measly rock bass that I ate and one ginormous sheepshead that I threw back. My dollar-to-fish ratio was somewhere around $26 per fish. Honestly, I'm apparently a terrible fisherman, and am considering for the first time in my life, not buying a license for 2017 and seeing if I miss it.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    976
    Most of my fishing is catch-and-release style, either because the regulations require it, or I just do it anyway when fly fishing for trout. However I love eating salmon and spend quite a bit of money to catch them. I don't even want to think about how much they cost per pound, but I know that buying them in the market at $10 or more per pound would be a bargain by comparison. Just the $1200 I spent on a second outboard motor for salmon trolling would go a long way at the fish market, not to mention the special rods, reels, lures, bait, and fuel for each trip.

  12. #37
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    Most of my fishing is catch-and-release style, either because the regulations require it, or I just do it anyway when fly fishing for trout. However I love eating salmon and spend quite a bit of money to catch them. I don't even want to think about how much they cost per pound, but I know that buying them in the market at $10 or more per pound would be a bargain by comparison. Just the $1200 I spent on a second outboard motor for salmon trolling would go a long way at the fish market, not to mention the special rods, reels, lures, bait, and fuel for each trip.
    For me, it's about return on investment. I fished dozens of times last year, and only caught 2 fish...Seriously. It's more that fishing has become more stress for me than relaxation.

    Of course, the same applies to hunting as well...It's been years since I've seen a deer in the woods, and every year, I seriously contemplate not hunting as well.

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,895
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    For me, it's about return on investment. I fished dozens of times last year, and only caught 2 fish...Seriously. It's more that fishing has become more stress for me than relaxation.
    Bummer. Hard for me to relate. You better not take up golf as a substitute to get out and relax. In probably thousands of hours of fishing I've yet to throw a fishing pole in a pond or break one over a tree. Golf clubs haven't enjoyed the same fate with me in a small fraction of the time.

    Edit: Although I must admit when I hook 'the big one' and it gets off before landing it that gets me pretty riled up.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    976
    Fuji, I measure my return on investment in the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from fishing. Pounds of meat per dollar spent would make me hate it in no time. Kind of like cycling, I have 5 bikes but can only ride one of them at a time. I guess that makes my return on investment in bikes really bad. But I have fun, and the metric is my enjoyment in riding and what it adds to my fitness and health, not the miles per dollar spent.

    Now hunting, I haven't done that for decades. And we have so many darn deer that I try to keep fenced out of the part of our yard that we are seriously trying to landscape, ugh! I'm inviting a couple archer acquaintances over this September to help thin out the local herd. I walked past 7 the other day. I told the guys they can sit in lawn chairs drinking their morning coffee under my back deck and pick out the one they want to shoot. They mentioned camo clothing, and I said to just dress like you're going out to get the morning paper. These deer have zero fear until you get closer than 15' to them. They walk into our front flower beds and up four steps onto our front porch to eat any plants we have growing there in pots. I keep thinking about taking up deer hunting again, but I just don't want to deal with it.

  15. #40
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    Fuji, I measure my return on investment in the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from fishing. Pounds of meat per dollar spent would make me hate it in no time. Kind of like cycling, I have 5 bikes but can only ride one of them at a time. I guess that makes my return on investment in bikes really bad. But I have fun, and the metric is my enjoyment in riding and what it adds to my fitness and health, not the miles per dollar spent.

    Now hunting, I haven't done that for decades. And we have so many darn deer that I try to keep fenced out of the part of our yard that we are seriously trying to landscape, ugh! I'm inviting a couple archer acquaintances over this September to help thin out the local herd. I walked past 7 the other day. I told the guys they can sit in lawn chairs drinking their morning coffee under my back deck and pick out the one they want to shoot. They mentioned camo clothing, and I said to just dress like you're going out to get the morning paper. These deer have zero fear until you get closer than 15' to them. They walk into our front flower beds and up four steps onto our front porch to eat any plants we have growing there in pots. I keep thinking about taking up deer hunting again, but I just don't want to deal with it.
    I totally get the ROI thing...What I was really getting at was that I only caught 2 fish last year, and over the years, it's honestly gotten a little tiring between all the hours spent in boats, on piers, along rivers, without any bites whatsoever, fighting tangles and snags, and losing all those lures.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
  2. warning: gun thread, dead horse beating thread, etc.
    By joker1656 in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •