Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ofishal Anglers' Thread

Anybody looking forward to this fishing season? The fishing season "ends" at the end of March in Michigan, so I've gotta get a new license here soon.

Here's hoping I catch more than 2 fish this year...I've been pretty consistent at 2 fish per year for the past 3-4 years. I need to find better spots, I guess.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

half-fast
    I sure am. The launch at the local lake opens next month.

I hope to use it more than twice this year.

Always changing.....
    I almost prefer ice fishing these days. Gives me something to do in the winter months while I do other stuff during the summer season like food plots, nesting boxes; stuff like that for hunting season.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Well, the local "Big 5" type sports store chain is closing, so they're having some (actually, really bad) sales on stuff. But, I saved a few bucks by buying some sinkers and some crappie rigs.

Anyway, I spent the afternoon today assembling the crappie rigs, making some leaders for trout and steelhead, and organizing my tackle boxes. I've got everything organized into 3 different boxes: Big Lake, panfish/small lake, and stream/trout/flyfishing. We'll see how the whole system works out. Though, I've been jonesin' for a decent fishing backpack...something to carry my tackle, with a rod and a net holder on the ends, and a creel on the bottom.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    You'd probably catch more fish if weren't using crappy rigs
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    not really an angler here. But I am interested in perhaps learning tenkara style fly fishing. I like how the hardware folds up tiny and total gear weighs a couple ounces - so would be a way to get fresh fish on backpack trekking trips in the alpine lakes of the Cascades without much added weight.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    you'd probably catch more bass if you weren't using crappie rigs.
    fixed?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    fixed?
    Technically, yes...But the play on words was clever.

Truth be told, 2 of the biggest (relatively speaking) fish I've ever caught were on crappie rigs...the first being a bluegill that curled up in a 5 gallon bucket, and the second being a 24" sheepshead. When nothing else is working, I can confidently drop a crappie rig into the water and catch something. It may not be a huge bass or walleye, but some sort of fish will bite. Bonus points, of course, to a double-header...which I've only ever achieved a few times, and only in the same lake that yielded that ginormous bluegill referenced above.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    fixed?
    If it were from Big 5 I'd have to say crappy is more appropriate. At least the ones around here.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Been fly fishing for steelhead off and on this winter. It's been slow but looking forward to some warmer drier weather.

Just returned from the North Umpqua with no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Anybody looking forward to this fishing season?

The fishing season "ends" at the end of March in Michigan, so I've gotta get a new license here soon.

Here's hoping I catch more than 2 fish this year...I've been pretty consistent at 2 fish per year for the past 3-4 years. I need to find better spots, I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Anybody looking forward to this fishing season? The fishing season "ends" at the end of March in Michigan, so I've gotta get a new license here soon.

Yes, definitively.
    I used to live in the Port Huron Michigan area, so there was plenty of places to go fishing, most being within biking or walking distance.
    I moved to the ghetto (9 Mile Rd. And Van Dyke) in 2013, and since I don't drive anymore, I really haven't gotten out much in the past few years.
    I'm hoping to change that this year.

This is one of the last decent largemouth that i caught in July of 2014. And I believe this was the second to last time that I've been out on the water.

And yes, I do have a mild fishing addiction.
    All the backpacks, boxes, and buckets on the left are stuffed with tackle.
    Also not pictured are a few fly rods, and a couple ice rods.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I fish for compliments year round, but am rarely successful.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasser_Butterfat View Post
    Nothing wrong with those big bluegills, they are good eating fish. The ones that are north of being one pound are scarce around here.
    There's a private gravel pit lake by my parents' house (actually, a small chain of lakes) that are entirely residential. The homeowners association pays to have it stocked with fish, and occasionally, the nearby creek floods over and lets wild fish into the lake. But, nobody fishes it and there aren't much in the way of natural predators or anything, so there are tons of HUGE panfish in the lake. On warm summer nights, you can walk to the end of a dock and see dozens of smallmouth swarming around. That lake truly is a honey hole...those fish will bite on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnooks View Post
    Yes, definitively.
    I used to live in the Port Huron Michigan area, so there was plenty of places to go fishing, most being within biking or walking distance.
    I moved to the ghetto (9 Mile Rd. And Van Dyke) in 2013, and since I don't drive anymore, I really haven't gotten out much in the past few years.
    I'm hoping to change that this year.

This is one of the last decent largemouth that i caught in July of 2014. And I believe this was the second to last time that I've been out on the water.

And yes, I do have a mild fishing addiction.
    All the backpacks, boxes, and buckets on the left are stuffed with tackle.
    Also not pictured are a few fly rods, and a couple ice rods.
    I've never fished Lake Huron, to be honest. The only Big Lake fishing I've done is Lake Michigan. I can't imagine it's much different. So, do you do mostly pier fishing? Looks like a few of your rods are set up for piers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked up a pair of kayaks last Memorial day along with an annual fishing pass. Didn't catch anything (not even compliments!), but it was also late in the season. Might give it another go soon.

I do miss the days when I lived in Manitoba, it wasn't fishing there, it was catching.

Low rep power
    There's a private gravel pit lake by my parents' house (actually, a small chain of lakes) that are entirely residential. The homeowners association pays to have it stocked with fish, and occasionally, the nearby creek floods over and lets wild fish into the lake. But, nobody fishes it and there aren't much in the way of natural predators or anything, so there are tons of HUGE panfish in the lake. On warm summer nights, you can walk to the end of a dock and see dozens of smallmouth swarming around. That lake truly is a honey hole...those fish will bite on anything.

I've never fished Lake Huron, to be honest. The only Big Lake fishing I've done is Lake Michigan. I can't imagine it's much different. So, do you do mostly pier fishing? Looks like a few of your rods are set up for piers.

Sounds like a 5-weight dream come true.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I'm not much of a big water guy either.
    Yes, I used to fish for walleye off the boardwalk near the blue water bridge all the time. Haven't done that since 2012 or so. That's what the short white rod is for. It's a 5' trolling rod. The tip is about 3/8"diameter. It's a beast! You need heavy gear at the mouth of the St Clair River. Most of the time I would use a 3lb weight just to keep my rig on the bottom.
    My favorite style of fishing is 1 medium, and one ultralight rod, a backpack with some tackle and food/drinks, and a long hike into the woods following a small River, fishing along the way.. Very few people, lots of nature to admire. Very peaceful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    not really an angler here. But I am interested in perhaps learning tenkara style fly fishing. I like how the hardware folds up tiny and total gear weighs a couple ounces - so would be a way to get fresh fish on backpack trekking trips in the alpine lakes of the Cascades without much added weight.
    Yep, Tenkara sounds interesting...might be just perfect for the small streams here in Carolina. Keepin my eyes open for a rod on ebay. Miss them Cascade Mts!
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Master debator.
    Every now and again I go out in the evenings and do some casting for whatever hits. I just use a light rig with a Daredevil or Mepps Aglia red/white and cast off the shore or dock. It's peaceful. I used to fish every day as a youth, I even got in the Mepp's magazine once with a nice northern pike.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I fish year around, weather and water conditions permitting. My state (WA) also sells fishing licenses that are valid from Apr. 1 to Mar. 31, so this thread is a good reminder that I need to renew mine. I haven't fished very much this winter because the water conditions have been horrible due to so much heavy rain. The last fish I caught were sea run cutthroat trout and steelhead last Sept. or Oct. I has a worst ever salmon fishing season last summer, so we had very little salmon in the freezer this winter, and it's been gone for many months now.

I've been retired for a year now, and I intend to do more trout fishing in the spring and summer. So I just began the project of building a fly fishing pram for lake fishing. I got the plywood a week ago Friday and picked up some boat lumber Monday. I spent a couple hours today sanding the long pieces I ripped on the table say for chines, chine battens, and keel. I need decent weather so I can open the garage door and use the saw for long pieces of wood. I'm waiting for delivery of marine adhesive and epoxy; then I start to work cutting plywood and beginning the assembly process. I love a wood working project!

Because of all the rain, I did a lot of sanding in the garage, and I noticed that my mtn. bike (and nearly everything else) is covered with a deep layer of sanding dust. I'll vacuum off the surface dust, but I think it's going to need a major cleaning before using it.

Jasnooks,

It looks like you have the makings of a good start to a collection of fishing gear. For better or worse, my fishing gear collection makes my bike collection seem conservative and responsible. I lost count of my fly rods at 30+, and that doesn't include the assortment of spinning rods, and casting and trolling rods I have for salmon fishing. I just hope that when I die, my wife doesn't sell all my gear for what she thinks I paid for it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It's interesting to read about everyone's gear collection. As I mentioned, I've sorted my tackle into 3 compartments: Big Lake/pier; panfish, bass, and small-lake; and trout/stream/flyfishing. I've got 2 spinning rods, and 1 fly rod. The spinning rods are a 6' Berkley Cherrywood and a 7' Ugly Stick, both with Quantum reels. I'm completely blanking on what brand my flyrod is, but the reel is an Okuma. I bought an 8' leader/tippet last fall and just got around to tying it onto the fly line yesterday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't get as excited as I used to now that I'm into cycling but still look forward to fishing very much.

Back country small steam fishing is what I really enjoy. But because I live in Boston now that doesn't happen as much as I'd like so I make due with fishing for striped bass and blue fish in the harbor. Harbor fishing for blues and stripers is hit or miss but when hit the fishing is really amazing.

I flirting with the idea of figuring out how to carry a rod on my cx bike for trips to Vermont where a lot of the trails and gravel roads have nice trout streams along side.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Is anyone here good at matching rods, reels, and lines? Seems like just about every time I'm out with my 7' Ugly Stik, I get a whopper of a bird's nest and have to spend 10 minutes or so fixing it. There's obviously something wrong with the rod and reel combo, because this happens regularly no matter what line I'm using.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Looking forward to fishing season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I can't think of how there could be any correlation between birds nest and rod/reel/line combo.

Is that, perhaps, the rod you do a lot of lure fishing with and don't use a swivel? Casting spoons or any lure that spins without a swivel will lead to birdsnests because your line will get twisted. Trolling it's even worse.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I can't think of how there could be any correlation between birds nest and rod/reel/line combo.

Is that, perhaps, the rod you do a lot of lure fishing with and don't use a swivel? Casting spoons or any lure that spins without a swivel will lead to birdsnests because your line will get twisted. Trolling it's even worse.
    I use a swivel all the time. There's some weird correlation when casting between the rod pre-loading the line with tension, the weight of the bait and lure using that preload to get a little more distance with each cast, and the size, speed, and location of the spool on the reel in relation to the first eyelet providing proper tension when reeling in. If anything along that chain of events is amiss, that can cause the line to be spooled improperly, so next time you cast, it goes out in a mess. I realized, while typing all that, how incredibly silly and convoluted it sounds...but, obviously, the best solution is a new rod and/or reel

I do find it odd how regularly I get bird's nests with one specific rod though...There's at least some grain of truth in the conundrum above...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast