Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Filling in some blank spots in my 'old music' collection, I just bought a re-release CD of Lou Reed's Transformer...
    Forgot to say--I'm a semi-fan--Lou Reed can't carry a tune in a bucket, but he is oddly musical at the same time. And I agree with Mapei--'Take a Walk' is one of the great cuts of all time.

The same friend who loaned me the Van Ronk book, also lent me a CD--part of a series--of recordings that were made at the Bottom Line (another Village institution) of singer-songwriters discussing their music.

The one he lent me is one of the more unlikely pairings of all time, Kris Kristoferson and Lou Reed, on stage together, talking about song writing and everything else too. Last cut is the two of them playing 'Tracks of My Tears' and it's cool.

It is pretty great--I stuck in the player in the truck one day when I had a long drive to make, and listened straight through:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Line-A...SIN=B074WJ82LJ
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Filling in some blank spots in my 'old music' collection, I just bought a re-release CD of Lou Reed's Transformer...
    Good choice!
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

What the Hell is going on
    Can I get on the good foot?

Man, I wish I could've seen James Brown in his prime.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Frog Whisperer
    I still listen to The Byrds, their progeny or their predecessors every day.
    I have a Gene Clark (Live on Mountain Stage (1986)) cd on my desk right in front of me that Oily sent me a while back...hmmmm I MAY have spread that around huh?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I loved the Hollies with a passion, as well. A quadra-fecta shoulda-been.
    I also liked the Hollies in the 60's, never realized till much later that Graham Nash was one of the driving forces in that group. My recall was he left at their peak because he was sick of writing hit pop songs and wanted to do something more meaningful - CSN.
    He was probably my favorite member of the original CSN, and his solo albums were good too. I really liked "Songs for Beginners". Have a listen to "Chicago" for instance.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I will never have the stereo system that I dreamed about in my youth
    I had a similarly melancholy epiphany just the other day: Despite the fact that I'm now in a position financially where I could have the stereo system that I dreamed about in my youth -- or, frankly, one several orders of magnitude better than what was available back then -- I will most likely never have the space to set up such a system, nor the time to devote to listening to music in this non-existent space on this hypothetical system.

FML

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I had a similarly melancholy epiphany just the other day: Despite the fact that I'm now in a position financially where I could have the stereo system that I dreamed about in my youth -- or, frankly, one several orders of magnitude better than what was available back then -- I will most likely never have the space to set up such a system, nor the time to devote to listening to music in this non-existent space on this hypothetical system.

FML
    'zactly. Sometimes you just miss the bus.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer
    'zactly. Sometimes you just miss the bus.
    Not so much, at some point, I will replace my deceased McIntosh. The Integra is not bad, but it's not a McIntosh.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Paredown -- I gotta respond to your footer regarding Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. I actually read those two books pretty much simultaneously when I was fourteen. Atlas Shrugged was my mother's toilet reading at the time. It was sitting there atop the tank so naturally... A buddy and me simultaneously read Lord of the Rings. We were so into it, we pored through the appendices and actually got halfway literate in Dwarvish and Elvish. We'd send each other postcards written in Elvish or Dwarvish when one of us or the other were off on family vacations.

About a year later in High School English class, the teacher asked us students if we'd read any quality novels. I perked up and mentioned Shrugged. The teacher let out a loud "Ugh!" I guess I was supposed to have said something like Great Expectations. It's a good thing I didn't say Fanny Hill.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Can I get on the good foot?

Saw him twice. Once in a bowling alley in a nothing-ville town in Florida, trying to come back after jail time; once years later in San Francisco, over-the-top big time show. He gave just as much of himself in the bowling alley as he did in the big-time stage: hardest working man in show biz. What a pleasure to watch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I remember my uncle with Stephen Stills

RoadBikeReview Member
    Channel 215 (is it VH1? name has probably changed) has been showing all sorts of classic rock stuff. My head nearly exploded when I saw they were running The Making of Aja documentary, one of my favorite videos ever. It's painful that Steely Dan didn't do this for each album, and now with Becker gone, ain't gonna happen

There are still other interviews and documentaries to get me through. Dan Rather's been doing a lot of interviews with the likes of Santana, Billy Gibbons, CSN, Geddy Lee, etc. Not too shabby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    On the local PBS channel I've recorded many American Masters shows that included the Doors, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc. These are great shows, not sure how to watch these old episodes now online.
    they do have a limited of videos available here, including Carol King, Fats Domino, BB King and others,
    All Video | American Masters | PBS

Their complete archive is here, but it's not apparent to me how to view more than the trailer, and a few interviews.
    Masters | American Masters | PBS
    Still lots of good stuff, for instance here is the Doors page
    The Doors | About The Film | American Masters | PBS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Channel 215 (is it VH1? name has probably changed) has been showing all sorts of classic rock stuff. My head nearly exploded when I saw they were running The Making of Aja documentary, one of my favorite videos ever. It's painful that Steely Dan didn't do this for each album, and now with Becker gone, ain't gonna happen

There are still other interviews and documentaries to get me through. Dan Rather's been doing a lot of interviews with the likes of Santana, Billy Gibbons, CSN, Geddy Lee, etc. Not too shabby.
    Christine,

Thanks for posting this. I did not know about these Rather interviews. I just went to Youtube. Man, I have trouble putting Geddy in the same room as Rather, let alone the same frame. I grew up in the Cleveland corridor, so RUSH was a part of our fiber & being

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Channel 215 (is it VH1? name has probably changed).
    I believe the channel you're describing is AXS TV (formerly called HDNet), which carries an odd mix of programming: lots of rock stuff, including concert and festival films and documentaries; some comedy; and mixed martial arts. There's a lot of good music stuff, and the Dan Rather interview series is terrific.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Satanic Watch Winder
    Great NEW music is everywhere. If all you want is OLD, you're aging yourself twice as fast.

The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Satanic Watch Winder
    But if you like old stuff........

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    Great NEW music is everywhere. If all you want is OLD, you're aging yourself twice as fast.
    ...........But if you like old stuff........
    Old.....yep, almost bedtime, BUT I know what I am listening to with my coffee in the morning!!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post

I did! Austin, TX 1965.

Yes it was awesome!!!

Boobies!
    Agreed--I avoid anything called 'Classic Rock'....

Favorite listening for me is WFUV--the NPR Fordham University station--a steady (albeit limited) diet of "new" music including the ones posted.

I've been telling friends that I think there is some kind of renaissance going on in that alt-country meets roots music meets Americana--I mean how long has it been since bands with banjos (Punch Brothers) got airplay?

I subscribe to the Duke Ellington school--there are only two kinds of music--good music and bad music--so I range all over. We're lucky to have a second fave in our local market--a NPR Jazz affiliate out of Newark (WBGO Jazz 88), and I find myself listening to them a lot as well. Like all loose NPR stations, sometimes it is tedious, but sometimes it is great.
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    One great internet stream station - Radio Free Phoenix

The Radio Free Phoenix What's Up Page »

"
    Radio Free Phoenix is now in its 13th year of serving you Free Form Rock Commercial Free 24-7! With over 16 thousand songs RFP brings back freedom and diversity to radio!.Listen to a station that has the heart, soul and passion that once peppered the great underground rock stations of the past. Radio Free Phoenix playsRock, Folk, Blues, Psychedelic, New Wave, Americana, Progressive, 60s, 70s,80s, 90s, 00s and new music too."

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Old.....yep, almost bedtime, BUT I know what I am listening to with my coffee in the morning!!!!!!!!
    Well......?

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Frog Whisperer
    Well......?
    Sorry got sidetracked with work and riding. Tomorrow is a new day and it's probably going to rain!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed--I avoid anything called 'Classic Rock'....

Favorite listening for me is WFUV--the NPR Fordham University station--a steady (albeit limited) diet of "new" music including the ones posted.

I've been telling friends that I think there is some kind of renaissance going on in that alt-country meets roots music meets Americana--I mean how long has it been since bands with banjos (Punch Brothers) got airplay?

I subscribe to the Duke Ellington school--there are only two kinds of music--good music and bad music--so I range all over. We're lucky to have a second fave in our local market--a NPR Jazz affiliate out of Newark (WBGO Jazz 88), and I find myself listening to them a lot as well. Like all loose NPR stations, sometimes it is tedious, but sometimes it is great.
    Did someone say Jazz...

Live Stream | 90.9fm WDCB

Program descriptions

https://wdcb.org/programs
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Well......?
    It improved my coffee substantially. You had turned me on to Miles Nielson previously, he's great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast