Jerkhard Sirdribbledick

OMFG! (MikeBiker: Might want to keep out, lest you squander your IQ ...)

Since the moment we found out my wife was pregnant I've been day-dreaming about how I'd take my kid on a bike. Trailer? Front seat? Back seat? Side chariot?

He just turned 1 a couple months ago and I always had that in my mind as "go" time. So on Friday we hopped in the car drove to the LBS and picked up a seat and a helmet. I was f-ing giddy in the store when he was trying on helmets. OMG.

I had to work all day on Saturday and Sunday it rained most the day, but once the rain let up we went for a quick spin around the 'hood. He giggled the whole time. It was just awesome.

Still don't know if a seat is the way I want to go ... all these toddler/bicycle transport solutions have pros and cons. But while I'm figuring it out I'll get my money's worth ... no doubt.

And now my Soma cruiser/commuter is officially dispatched as a family RV. I even sawed off the front of the front fender (with the hula girl) so I could install a front rack to support my Gilles-Berthoud handlebar bag.

Oh, and the helmet is by Trek, which kind of sucks. I had him try on a Giro but it was too big. Someday ...

"He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    You should buy a new bike for "fast kid haulin'." It worked out well for you on the Gunnar.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Non Non Cyclist
    That's awesome!

I hope that's a non assploding Trek helmet.
    Move along...nothing to see here.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    You should buy a new bike for "fast kid haulin'." It worked out well for you on the Gunnar.
    As I say every year, my days of buying expensive bikes are over.

Quote Originally Posted by CyreneSong
    That's awesome!

I hope that's a non assploding Trek helmet.
    I'm waiting till he's 18 months before he gets a carbon helmet.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Captain Obvious
    sweet. good times. we never tried the seat thing, just used the burley. we also went through several helmets since Chris hated having them on his head a first. J2 looks like he's been having a good time.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    sweet. good times. we never tried the seat thing, just used the burley. we also went through several helmets since Chris hated having them on his head a first. J2 looks like he's been having a good time.
    I took this just before our first spin. By the second spin (after we got back from doing some errands) he was messing with the helmet.
    -- Gut

Born from Jorts®

Yes.

so awesome!

congrats.

// does Rapha make baby clothes?

Call me a Fred
    My IQ has already dropped today. I tried to use a state governemnt web site.

I used the bike seats for my kids. They all loved it. If I was going to do it over, I'd use a trailer. They keep the added weight lower and the kid moving around doesn't affect the bike as much.
    e
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

waterproof*
    Take him on some sweet gnarly singletrack. He will love it.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    // does Rapha make baby clothes?
    God, I hope not.
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    just took my daughter out for the first time for her one year bday- my folks got me a Burley Trailer for my day and was dying to try it out- same excitement as you, was awesome, till she started crying after a half hour- which was fine
    the helmet was way too big, need to go get another one-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BethanyInnocenti

for the love of >> how do you imbed video.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONG LIVE THE SINGLE DOTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aindreas View Post
    By the beard of Johnny Depp, that's a good looking man.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I just experienced rolling brown out a few minutes ago. My stomach feels much better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    Penny loafers are the footwear of cowards.
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Is it safe to fart in these or will it look like a mouse running down the side of my leg? :p

RoadBikeReview Member
    i always did better with one-year olds in a backpack. more stable on me than on the bike. off road always was enjoyed by both of us, especially with some sweet air.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by thedago
    just took my daughter out for the first time for her one year bday- my folks got me a Burley Trailer for my day and was dying to try it out- same excitement as you, was awesome, till she started crying after a half hour- which was fine
    the helmet was way too big, need to go get another one-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BethanyInnocenti

for the love of >> how do you imbed video.
    I don't plan on doing serious riding with him, so my primary concern is that he enjoys himself. A trailer makes sense for longer rides, or when he gets bigger, but I think right now he'd enjoy it more being closer to me and higher up and out in the wind.

Oh, and usually just beneath a YouTube video there's a link for embedding. But your channel looks weird. I did get that link when the video finished, tho:

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    i always did better with one-year olds in a backpack. more stable on me than on the bike. off road always was enjoyed by both of us, especially with some sweet air.
    Hadn't really thought about that, but I'd be concerned that if for some reason I went down, the kid would be more likely to get hurt.
    -- Gut

Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Sounds like a fun day!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMFG! (MikeBiker: Might want to keep out, lest you squander your IQ ...)-1174124368_p8fg4-x3.jpg  

Le Misérable
    That's awesome! What a mug!

BTW, has anyone seen the up-to-toddler-sized, metal-framed backpacks for hauling kids on a bike? I saw one during a stay at the sea a couple weeks ago: it looked crazy. My first (and wholly ignorant of reality) reaction was that the kid was so high up in the air (kid's head was higher than dad's) that if s/he fell it would be worse than if s/he fell from a seat...
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

donuts?
    dude, sweet. the giggles only stop when the smile is too big to allow them... my youngest loved it when i would pick him up from daycare on my bike.

get him some sunglasses and he'll be ready for the maillot jaune.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Cyclist
    We have one of those exact same helmets...I agree that it's the suck.

Try a Lazer BOB (Baby on Board)...

HE8120-HE8125 for your shop's QBP ordering. Not all of them have pink faux hawks either.

It's not TOO Cold!
    I have twins so the trailer was the only option. Little guys in the trailer and helmets are an issue, their heads get pushed forward. By the time they were two, it wasn't a problem.

Our deal was short ride, play at the park till the diapers got crapped, then long ride as they slept in the trailer.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

Seat's not level
    Congrats Dr. Taking the kiddo out for a ride is fun.

We started at about 6 weeks. Strapped the car seat in a burely and went out for a slow cruiser ride. She loved it. At 9 months she got her first bike. Training wheels and all that was pushed around the house for a long time. I think that my back is still recovering. I'm not sure how many bikes she's been through since then, but it's probably 6 or 7. By the time she was 7 she could do a good 9 mile ride on her own bike. She put over 100 miles on a 16" bike that summer. Now we have a tandem she rides with me and our longest ride is 50 miles. We might have to find a metric century this summer.

In the last few months she started riding a unicycle.

As for buying yourself more expensive bikes... yea that kind of stopped. We saved for a year to get the Co-motion periscope tandem. It's fantastic, but wasn't cheap.

Witha grin like that, save those dimes and nickels and keep him on a good bike and soon you will have a riding partner. It doesn't take as long as you think.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

hit it
    Dude... that kid is ALWAYS happy!

Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    We saved for a year to get the Co-motion periscope tandem. It's fantastic, but wasn't cheap.
    OMGWANT!

But I'll wait till it goes up in price. Holy jeebus.
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    Dude... that kid is ALWAYS happy!

Cool.
    Well I ain't finna post pics of him cryin.
    -- Gut

Just Plain Bitter
    We used Burley trailer for ours. I agree with the helmet pushing the head forward for awhile but my kids never lasted more than 20 minutes before they were asleep in the thing anyway. The girls giggled all the way and then it just got quiet. It was fun though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Non non normal
    I love this thread. Kids make you smile. A laughing child is one of the best sounds in the world.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein