Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    who was the guy that was a big san rensho fan? i think he had quite a few retro bikes. dave i think was his name? always wondered what happened to him.

back in the late 80s when i started riding i wanted a san rensho so bad it hurt. back then i didn't have the money. now i have the money but there is no builder. finding one in my size just hasn't happened for me, so, c'est la vie.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    In that case, I'm still a n00b.
    Yup--me too. I consider myself to be part of the second wave--overlapped with a lot of the stalwarts, crazies and weirdos that used to hang out here a lot--then it all kinda fell apart.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    who was the guy that was a big san rensho fan? i think he had quite a few retro bikes. dave i think was his name? always wondered what happened to him.

back in the late 80s when i started riding i wanted a san rensho so bad it hurt. back then i didn't have the money. now i have the money but there is no builder. finding one in my size just hasn't happened for me, so, c'est la vie.
    Dave Hickey--he was probably the reason why I started hanging out here--he used to moderate the Retro-Classic section, and offered really sound advice.

He is a good dude--I seem to recall very hairy legs and a career with Fedex, along with the love for 3-Renshos. He had a blog on the same which doesn't look like he is keeping up these days...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    yup.
    i forgot he had a blog. i used to look at it once in a while but do remember, now, that he stopped posting. always seemed like a nice guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Dave Hickey--he was probably the reason why I started hanging out here--
    yep, me too...I pm'd him about something and was impressed with his friendliness and knowledge.

thought it would be a good place to hang out and see what's up...

found the The Lounge and was amused at first, but later came to find it tedious and too KKK (kool kids klub) for my tastes...the incessant LOL cats (can I haz cheezburger) and other boring memes got old fast.

watched the whole Podium Girls meltdown, the mass migration to FB, and the general malaise that's become the norm...

still better than Bike Forums tho...that place blows.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Was on MTBR, then got a lot of crap after buying a fixie and having the nerve to post about it! Came over here and the Lounge grew on me. Can discuss anything here including bikes, without getting the look you would get with actual 3D people.

Also had to re-join after the crash, so my join date is a bit off. Never did join FB so I'm way out of the loop, though sometimes I wonder about the drama that's going on over there!
    actual 3-d people FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I haven't seen Hollywood Jeff in these parts for awhile.

Great interview

Hollywood pretty much instigated the exodus to Facebook, he and DrRoebuck. they are still around over there.

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Yup--me too. I consider myself to be part of the second wave--overlapped with a lot of the stalwarts, crazies and weirdos that used to hang out here a lot--then it all kinda fell apart.
    wrong, didn't fall apart, a lot of the riff raff moved on. I RARELY visit the actual facebook Lounge Hangout, but there is a splinter group called The Kitchen, it consists of the kinder/gentler Loungers. Personally I hate facebook but a lot of friends moved that way so I bounce back and forth This place is still my real home!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Banned forever.....or not
    I often wonder how many of the "old folks" are serving time in a Turkish Prison?........Back when the FB thingy started, I got an invite, but I could never join a "club" that would have someone like me as a member.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    yep, me too...I pm'd him about something and was impressed with his friendliness and knowledge.

thought it would be a good place to hang out and see what's up...

found the The Lounge and was amused at first, but later came to find it tedious and too KKK (kool kids klub) for my tastes...the incessant LOL cats (can I haz cheezburger) and other boring memes got old fast.

watched the whole Podium Girls meltdown, the mass migration to FB, and the general malaise that's become the norm...

still better than Bike Forums tho...that place blows.
    I joined a little before the FB exodus. Mostly a lurker and never did get a kool kid kard. I have seen a Dave Hickey over at the forum you mention; I poke around a little over there but not thrilled with the overall vibe.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonHowl View Post
    I joined a little before the FB exodus. Mostly a lurker and never did get a kool kid kard. I have seen a Dave Hickey over at the forum you mention; I poke around a little over there but not thrilled with the overall vibe.
    Dave's a great guy, got to ride with him with Team Collin in Indy once.i have had the fortune of meeting and riding with 50 or 60 of the older members. My wife got to babysit the Lounge team on Ragbrai one summer, Hollywood, Bulldozer, MarkS, Dmlka (did I get that rigbt?) and his dad, BJ... Rode with Opus, LenJ, Just too big, Kykr, Weltyed, MrWood and his lovely wife, and a couple of dozen others. HELL, there were 26 of us in Indy with team Collin one year i have made some great friends here!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    As a matter of fact, I think I will go post a link to this thread on facepalm

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    No, none of us are left! 😂

Windrider (Stubborn)
    When they did the (alleged) SW upgrade in 2004, all first post dates reset.

I think I first posted in 1999 or so.

Good to see you Fixed. Whats new in your life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

I am unoriginal.

Frog Whisperer
    Seek and you shall find!

Large Suburban Male
    I come back once in a while.
    Joined RBR Lounge in 2004, moved on when it became an argumentative pissing match.
    The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
    William Gibson

Review RoadBike Member
    Where am I, and why am I all wet?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by jpelaston View Post
    Where am I, and why am I all wet?
    Was it 2010 we met at LenJ's with your lovely wife? It rained that last day, haven't you dried off yet?

eminence grease
    Sure. I was here sub 199x, first MTBR as "tb" the night Roadies Rejoice. Lost that handle when the site was upgraded. Left when Bikes & Frames went to hell. Im reminded of the other reason I left while typing this via Chrome on my iPad - the performance still sucks.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    I am unoriginal.
    I don't think so.....

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    Sure. I was here sub 199x, first MTBR as "tb" the night Roadies Rejoice. Lost that handle when the site was upgraded. Left when Bikes & Frames went to hell. Im reminded of the other reason I left while typing this via Chrome on my iPad - the performance still sucks.
    Ditch the iPad for Android!

Frog Whisperer
    This whole only being able to post every 2 minutes (which was not an original feature) pretty much sucks

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I am pretty much a n00b, but I know a lot of people here. I got tired of the clunkiness and the trolls.

On a bicycle related note, those who know me and remember when I first started cycling will be happy to know that I met all my cycling goals. I did 4 major challenges that I never thought I could do. I rode:
    1) Seattle to Portland (STP) which isn't that big of a deal but I actually provide ride support (officially, and yeah, shocks the heck out of me too) by helping people with minor mechanicals, medicals, moral support, etc. Not bad for a girl who didn't know how to change a flat.
    2) Washington Pass up on Hwy 20,
    3) Hurricane Ridge over on the Olympic peninsula, and
    4) RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day, 10000 ft of climbing, 150 miles, in 11 hours). And yes, I still find that one hard to believe. I have the patch and witnesses to prove it.
    5) For fun, I rode the Chelan Century also, including the Cat 1 climb of McNeil canyon.

Yeah, I know! Me... The totally inept, unathletic one. Who would have believed it? You all helped me do it. You encouraged me and supported me. I am not sure I ever said thank you, so THANK YOU!

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    There are no kool kids. That's the dirty little secret.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    It took a lot of tries to remember my password.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post

Dave Hickey I think
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast