Lost in translation

Panasonic Lumix G2, made better

Just before father's day, I went into Samy's camera to look at the various Canon SLR's. Big beastly things shown to me by the Canon rep. Nice shots and all, but lugging around the poundage did not appeal to me. And it would've lightened my wallet big time.

The sales rep overheard me talking about all my old school equipment: manual focus FD-mount Canon F-1's, A-1's, and T90's. And tons of sweet lenses. All weighing about the same as the new DSLR's from Canon, except using film from the dark ages. Everything in mint condition, since I haven't used the stuff since the early-90's.

So the rep shows me this tidy little Panasonic Lumix G2, quickly going over its top features. Amazing light camera, flip screen, view finder, interchangeable lenses, 720p vid, etc. Then he says you can buy an adapter on eBay for thirty bucks that would enable me to use all my old FD-mount lenses! How cool is that? (Turns out you can buy it for Nikon, Olympus, Minolta, Leica, etc.) Only a few minor drawbacks: manual focus (duh), manual aperture selection (I'm decent at judging light & exposure), and the largest lenses are heavy. But saving a couple grand makes up for it, with supreme quality optics. I plan to utilize the old lenses taking shots of my kids for at home portraits or outdoor sports action.

Just got the adapter in today's mail. (Same for some extension tubes for macro photography.) Only had a brief chance to try it out after dinner. My son is a willing subject, although I need more practice. The conversion effectively doubles the focal length and aperture. For example, my 135mm at F2 converts to 270mm at F4. I've got some variable telephoto lenses to test later. The adapter works on the G1 and other Lumix 4/3 micro cameras.

The bits used today

Taken with a 1988 Canon FD 135/2 in the shade

Same 135/2 in the sun

Cropped image taken with a Tokina 300/2.8 from 25 feet on a monopod at ISO 800 at F11

Check out a review at this site -> http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicDMCG2/ I love this camera, even in it's stock form.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you focusing through the view finder or monitor, this camera has live view right? Nice looking kid and good shots. I was looking at Lumix as had one for years and the 3/4ths system appealed but went for the Canon Digital Rebel cause at high ISOs the Canon just did a better job. Like the idea of the adapter.

Spicy Dumpling
    I love the concept of the micro 4/3 but I like wide lenses and they are very expensive for 4/3rds. My pentax can use any lens back to the 1957 screwmounts just fine. But I'm getting a little more acceptable to the concept of a EVF camera with interchangeable lenses. I just have to have a viewfinder instead of an LCD on the back. It's easier to focus and much easier to hold steady at slower shutter speeds. I don't see why we can't get a nice rangefinder with exchangeable lenses without paying 7 grand for a body like the leica.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    The EF canon mount can take nearly every lens....other than FD.

eminence grease
    Do you have an eBay link? Or the seller?

I have a trunk full of FD lenses and a G1 and this might be a fun summer project.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Lost in translation
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Do you have an eBay link? Or the seller?

I have a trunk full of FD lenses and a G1 and this might be a fun summer project.
    Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Terry - I bought the macro extension tubes from the same guy. He was a little slow to ship, but you can't beat his price.

The 14-42 stock Lumix lens does not get me a wide angle, although it focuses closely. I'll need to drop some bucks if I want to go extreme wide angle.

Lost in translation

I'm too lazy for a Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    Are you focusing through the view finder or monitor, this camera has live view right? Nice looking kid and good shots. I was looking at Lumix as had one for years and the 3/4ths system appealed but went for the Canon Digital Rebel cause at high ISOs the Canon just did a better job. Like the idea of the adapter.
    The Canon SLR's produce superior images - no argument there. I just couldn't bear with the heft, plus the expense for more lenses.

I generally use the thru-the-lens view finder, since it's got a built-in diopter to compensate for my farsightedness. On the other hand, the swivel screen/monitor is top notch. Both are live view without any lag.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd
    Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Terry - I bought the macro extension tubes from the same guy. He was a little slow to ship, but you can't beat his price.

The 14-42 stock Lumix lens does not get me a wide angle, although it focuses closely. I'll need to drop some bucks if I want to go extreme wide angle.

Thanks amigo.

RE: 14-42 - I have the 7-14mm standard 4/3 plus the adapter which is a nice combo. I'm very tempted to buy the micro version, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that the burden of the big lens on the small camera is so bad that it would be worth it to spend the money.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Lost in translation
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Thanks amigo.

RE: 14-42 - I have the 7-14mm standard 4/3 plus the adapter which is a nice combo. I'm very tempted to buy the micro version, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that the burden of the big lens on the small camera is so bad that it would be worth it to spend the money.
    It's funny, because I remember a few guys on here said good things about the G1, which opened up my mind to the Panasonic brand. (That's the one without a grip or built-in viewfinder?) So the sales rep showed me the minimalist 4/3 Lumix, which I really liked. Might have been inclined to buy it, except he whips out the G2. Great camera. I bought it at the store, because they had a no-sales-tax promo + it came with a free Sandisk 16gb card. The G2 takes video, too, which I may rarely use. Kinda like getting the sunroof option on a car.

If memory serves me, that 7-14 lens costs over three bills.