The Divine Spin

Paste magazine (public radio rag)

When we were living in Jersey, we supported the local public radio station (WXPN). Since moving down to TN and having no decent alternative radio stations to listen to, we still support WXPN. One of the benefits is a subscription to Paste magazine. Very cool rag, with articles about singer/songwriters, indy film producers/actors/directors, etc. With the mag comes a sampler cd every month. This month's is definetely worth a listen. My favs are Fiona Apple's "O' Sailer" (from her much anticipated latest release), Winterpills' "Pills for Sara" (a beautiful and painful song about addiction and loving an addict), and Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" (a cappello, but with some funky synthesized sound along with the harmonized vocals). Honestly, there is nothing that I skip past, everything is well worth a listen.

Anyway, I plan to pick up Apple's latest cd, as well as Winterpills (never heard of them until this sampler). Just thought I'd pass on the recs to all you alternative music/singer-songwriter fans...
    Ravings from a mad farmgurl...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heap's Speak for Yourself is one of my favorite CD's of this year

She who enjoys analog as much as me bought the vinyl of Extraordinary Machine when it came out. I like this new version of the album much better than the original sessions that were leaked onto the internet at the beginning of this year. The new production work makes the album much cleaner sounding. I like When the Pawn better but Apple's voice is getting more mature and rich with age. I think she is still overwriting her songs. She, who I'm looking at over this screen at the moment as we listen to Kate Bush's new album Aerial for the third or fourth or maybe fifth time, likes all of Apple's work. She will occasionally throw out a comment about dirty windows after listening to Extraordinary Machine and I'm really hoping that doesn't mean something I wouldn't like. That will make sense when you listen to the song Window. Apple does do angst well. The way Bush's writing on the second disc of Aerial gives gratitude for everyday life during the passing of a day gives me more satisfaction in content and emotional vision than Extraordinary Machine though. You also get Bush's unique and beautiful voice and her usual eclectic instrumentation throughout the two discs.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free" Bill Hicks

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I got a copy of Paste a couple of years ago at my local newstand. This one featured an article on U2's making of "The Joshua Tree". The sampler CD in this one consisted of music compiled by U2 that influenced them as they were writing and recording "Joshua Tree". I still have the CD on my frequent play pile. Great music, great magazine.

In need of sock puppet
    Good for you for supporting Public Radio.

The Divine Spin

I'm a Kate fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by axolot1
    Heap's Speak for Yourself is one of my favorite CD's of this year

She who enjoys analog as much as me bought the vinyl of Extraordinary Machine when it came out. I like this new version of the album much better than the original sessions that were leaked onto the internet at the beginning of this year. The new production work makes the album much cleaner sounding. I like When the Pawn better but Apple's voice is getting more mature and rich with age. I think she is still overwriting her songs. She, who I'm looking at over this screen at the moment as we listen to Kate Bush's new album Aerial for the third or fourth or maybe fifth time, likes all of Apple's work. She will occasionally throw out a comment about dirty windows after listening to Extraordinary Machine and I'm really hoping that doesn't mean something I wouldn't like. That will make sense when you listen to the song Window. Apple does do angst well. The way Bush's writing on the second disc of Aerial gives gratitude for everyday life during the passing of a day gives me more satisfaction in content and emotional vision than Extraordinary Machine though. You also get Bush's unique and beautiful voice and her usual eclectic instrumentation throughout the two discs.
    So I may have to put that one on my Christmas list. I agree that Apple's voice is maturing and I like the sound.
    Ravings from a mad farmgurl...