Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "El Bwana"

Paypal wants me to send them my SS# and a copy of my picture ID.

It is not Phishing, nor a spoof.

I called them and they said it was now "policy". Then they said it was a government requirement. Then I said "Up yours".

Any good alternatives to Paypal? It appears that Amazon has a service.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post

I called them and they said it was now "policy". Then they said it was a government requirement. Then I said "Up yours".

When did this happen? They've not asked me.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    I haven't heard from them, either.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Beetpull DeLite
    Oh man, you showed them!

"El Bwana"
    Middle of May. Using an Ebay gift card set off the request. My $30 Vermarc sock purchase is tied to an international money laundering scheme.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    Oh man, you showed them!
    I don't feel comfortable with such a request.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know some other folks who have been similarly contacted by PayPal to provide this info recently.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Screw paypal. I quit using them along time ago.

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post

They haven't asked, if they do I will ignore them....The Man only has as much power as we are willing to cede...

/ are you per chance on a govt no fly list
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Urb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Even if is a legit request I wouldn't do it. Giving your SS# to a private organization sounds like trouble to me.
    You get all the sleep you need when you are dead

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urb View Post
    Even if is a legit request I wouldn't do it. Giving your SS# to a private organization sounds like trouble to me.
    Like:
    - your credit card companies
    - your banks
    - your doctor's office
    - your dentist's office
    - your insurance plan
    - your employer
    - your mortgage company
    - your 401k/retirement plan administrator
    - etc

I'm not saying giving your SSN to PayPal is a good idea, but there are lots of "private organizations" that you've already given your SSN to.

is super good looking.
    Get a federal ID tax number.
    Never give it over the phone, only on secure website that are not spelled funny.
    If it says Paypaul.com run, paul is not your pall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    Same thing here, I wont do it.

I've gone to www.dwolla.com. Cheaper and better IMO. Been around for a while, written up in the WSJ and other publications.

Pay Pal might be the biggest and the tie in to eBay certainly helps but there are other options out there.

Urb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Like:
    - your credit card companies
    - your banks
    - your doctor's office
    - your dentist's office
    - your insurance plan
    - your employer
    - your mortgage company
    - your 401k/retirement plan administrator
    - etc

I'm not saying giving your SSN to PayPal is a good idea, but there are lots of "private organizations" that you've already given your SSN to.
    Point taken however atleast I can see the person I'm handing my SS# to from that list.
    You get all the sleep you need when you are dead

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Just open a new Paypal account.

Good news everyone!
    I just sent mine to King Zamunda to claim my inheritance. I'm sure Paypal is legit.

We have met the enemy...
    Nice--good to know there is an alternative.

I really miss the Ibahn bank transfer system in Germany that worked better than PP, and incurred no fees. I used to use an alternate money changer in the UK as well, just 'cause I hate 'em so.

On a previous thread I was *****ing that eBay now require you to explicitly sign a statement that you agree to their charge-back policy as a seller, as part of requiring you to sign up for auto-pay for your eBay charges. You can no longer review and pay the fees when you wish.

I think that B-School classes will be studying the eBay/Paypal fail--take a good, loosey goosey flea market, turn it into a second-rate Amazon, piss off the majority of your small sellers, get greedy and double-dip (Ebay + Paypal), and incessantly tinker with the site and "innovate" so that every time you come back to do something like a listing, you have to spend 1/2 an hour figuring out what they have changed.

They're already offering 50 free listings to try to lure the small people back, but as everyone (except for eBay apparently) always knew, it is easier to keep and support customers and very hard to win them back.

The eBay forums used to be full of people pleading with the powers that be to get their heads out of their collective ass and listen--instead they proceeded by fiat (no negatives can be given by buyers for example) and pissed off most of their small and medium sized sellers, who are all now on ETSI and Craigslist, or selling on their own web pages.

Case in point--Hilary Stone, who sells a lot of classic brit bikes--don't know the particulars, but he left eBay because of their dicking around and now has his own website and has never looked back
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    --Hilary Stone, who sells a lot of classic brit bikes--
    cool thanks for the link!
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Fred the Clydesdale
    I recently was looking for a car on Craigslist and found a great deal on one. I sent a message to the seller telling them I was interested. I got this in reply:

Hi,
    The car is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the car manuals, title,documents. I'm selling this car because my child of only 19 died 4 months ago in a car accident,a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 10 years old. The car belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The last price is $3,421. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program.I just need your full name,full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees).eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need.We will take care of the shipping so don't worry.
    We hope to hear soon from you.

Here are some pictures:Pictures by 2007_Toyota_Camry_LE2 - Photobucket

Mileage: 65,188
    Exterior color: White
    Interior Color: Gray
    Engine: 2.4L I4 16V MPFI DOHC
    Transmission Automatic
    VIN: 4T1BE46K17U529532

Thank you for your interest!

Brian and Linda Mercado

I felt safe sending them my info cuz I had Ebay's Buyer Protection Plan, um through Craigslist ;-). The shipping note was icing on the cake. It was for sale locally...
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urb View Post
    Point taken however atleast I can see the person I'm handing my SS# to from that list.
    What good does seeing the person do? I don't think that visual "bond" offers you much protection.
    Does seeing the secretary at the dentist (who's making $10/hr... and a single mom.... who can barely pay her rent) do much to keep her from passing your info to someone for $$$?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not used them in a LONG time.I actually would if I could, it would be convenient...

When I was younger, around the time when Paypal started to get big I used them, not knowing they stored your info (CC #).
    After a while I forgot my account info, but wanted the account closed so no one could use my CC.
    I tried guessing my old password a few times, and was told if I got it wrong a couple more times the account would be locked and left unusable. At the time that seemed about all I was trying to do anyways... so I guessed twice more and called it good.

A few years later I "had" to use paypal, only to find the credit card info I had thought wasn't saved was still tied to the locked account.

I called to have my credit card removed from the original account, and they told me they couldn't do it. I had to log in and remove it myself. I told them I couldn't log in, and asked them to unlock it...

They required me to send them a copy of my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card.
    I told them I was trying to get my information REMOVED since I never wanted them to store it anyways. They said with out me sending them the requested info there was nothing they could do. Even when I pointed out they didn't have my social security number, so they could not check it against anything anyhow they refused to help with out it.

I told them they had already saved private information I did not want them to, so I was unwilling to send them MORE, (extremely private) information just to get the first stuff deleted.

I told them I owned the credit card, and wanted my credit card information removed from the account... No dice....

I told them they could verify any information on my credit card they needed... But the card was mine and I did not give permission for them to keep it on file, or to associate it with any account, that they did not need to verify ANY information for me about the account my credit card had been linked to, or even that it was linked to any account.... Just remove it from any account it may be linked to, and the name of one particular one I KNEW it was linked to...
    Again, with out a photo copy of at least my social security card, they were unwilling to help.

Credit card info still on file with paypal : (

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I have not used them in a LONG time.I actually would if I could, it would be convenient...

When I was younger, around the time when Paypal started to get big I used them, not knowing they stored your info (CC #).
    After a while I forgot my account info, but wanted the account closed so no one could use my CC.
    I tried guessing my old password a few times, and was told if I got it wrong a couple more times the account would be locked and left unusable. At the time that seemed about all I was trying to do anyways... so I guessed twice more and called it good.

A few years later I "had" to use paypal, only to find the credit card info I had thought wasn't saved was still tied to the locked account.

I called to have my credit card removed from the original account, and they told me they couldn't do it. I had to log in and remove it myself. I told them I couldn't log in, and asked them to unlock it...

They required me to send them a copy of my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card.
    I told them I was trying to get my information REMOVED since I never wanted them to store it anyways. They said with out me sending them the requested info there was nothing they could do. Even when I pointed out they didn't have my social security number, so they could not check it against anything anyhow they refused to help with out it.

I told them they had already saved private information I did not want them to, so I was unwilling to send them MORE, (extremely private) information just to get the first stuff deleted.

I told them I owned the credit card, and wanted my credit card information removed from the account... No dice....

I told them they could verify any information on my credit card they needed... But the card was mine and I did not give permission for them to keep it on file, or to associate it with any account, that they did not need to verify ANY information for me about the account my credit card had been linked to, or even that it was linked to any account.... Just remove it from any account it may be linked to, and the name of one particular one I KNEW it was linked to...
    Again, with out a photo copy of at least my social security card, they were unwilling to help.

Credit card info still on file with paypal : (
    if you're worried about why not just call your cc company and get a new card/number.....old cc is then useless....
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post

The eBay forums used to be full of people pleading with the powers that be to get their heads out of their collective ass and listen--instead they proceeded by fiat (no negatives can be given by buyers for example) and pissed off most of their small and medium sized sellers, who are all now on ETSI and Craigslist, or selling on their own web pages.
    Yeah, but let's think about this from a business perspective. I'm a "small seller" on ebay. I've got a whopping 70 transactions. I recently purchased an item from a seller with >70,000 transactions. That's not a typo - SEVENTY THOUSAND transactions.

Ebay can afford to piss me off - and another 1,000 like me - as long as they keep one 70,000 transaction seller happy. It's much more efficient to have fewer, high-volume customers rather than lots of low-volume customers.

We have met the enemy...
    Yeah, but let's think about this from a business perspective. I'm a "small seller" on ebay. I've got a whopping 70 transactions. I recently purchased an item from a seller with >70,000 transactions. That's not a typo - SEVENTY THOUSAND transactions.

Ebay can afford to piss me off - and another 1,000 like me - as long as they keep one 70,000 transaction seller happy. It's much more efficient to have fewer, high-volume customers rather than lots of low-volume customers.
    From a purely business perspective, I reluctantly have to agree--but the problem for me as a customer is that without the small sellers and interesting stuff (and let's face it, bargains)--there is no longer much interest on my part in shopping on the the 'Bay.

Already by 2008, over 50% of their business was fixed price items (after the 2006 change in rules and the short-lived boycott) and now it is closer to 68%, sales growth was flat as was new users in the US. Growth in the UK and Europe though is double digit. Paypal is the real profit center though for the US.

We've all had the feeling when we've gone looking for something on eBay that all that is there now are 400 fixed price listings for some cheap Chinarello, when what we'd like to find is that bargain Pinarello with no high reserve.

So maybe it has just changed into something else, and I'm nostalgic--I miss the "old" eBay. (actually I was surprised poking around how bullish analysts are and I hadn't realized the stock price had rebounded so much...)

For fixed price shopping I'd much rather go to Amazon where the combination of Prime, better prices and reliable service trumps what most eBay sellers can offer. And the day that I can find a good substitute for PayPal, I will be a happy camper.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member

The problem is those high volume sellers will eventually get big enough to sell on places like Amazon. The only way Ebay can continue to grow is through the growth of their small sellers. If there are no more small sellers than eventually Ebay may run out of customers, theoretically at least. Just a thought.
    "Sticking feathers in your butt doesn't make you a chicken"
    -Tyler Durden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast