FNG

Peace on Earth, and goodwill toward.....

.....well, I don't know who, but it certainly wasn't toward me.

And you should have seen the fur fly when I asked him to put some salt or something on the inch of ice which formed from all the water which dripped off his roof and flooded his half of the driveway, in order that I might shovel my side without cracking my skull open. Nor did he seem to understand how asinine this system is at a point when it REALLY snows, and I have the option of working from home while he has to dig out to get to his job.

As I did last year, I just shoveled the whole thing this morning after another snowfall last night. I said my piece about the one in the photo, and now I'm on to killing him with kindness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peace on Earth, and goodwill toward.....-driveway.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Sharing Driveways looks ruff. I think you did good somebody needs to be the bigger person there) after living in city's my whole life I'm on a mission from god to settle down
    where I can look in every direction an not see another house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    That's a funny picture.

Cheese is my copilot
    Get a plow.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I did a shared driveway earlier in life. It's a drag if your neighbor is lazy.

Velocipediologist
    I'm a dummy from the South................what is going on here?
    This mssg brought to you by Mr. Bananas.

Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Just shovel YOUR snow onto HIS side of the driveway; that'll take care of everything.

Obviously, shared driveways are a crap shoot and you're learning how bad of an arrangement they can be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    ask him if he wants to go in on a snow blower. If not, get one your self and do your thing. When the big snow hits, work from home for a few days or go out of town.

I have a 1/4 mile long paved driveway so I have a tractor with a plow. It amazes me that some of my neighbors cant do anything for themselves.
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Commute by snowmobile.

FNG
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    I'm a dummy from the South................what is going on here?
    We have a shared driveway which leads to our respective garages in the back of the lots. The property line is +/- down the middle, with an easement/right of way for each of us onto the other's half for ingress/egress/maintenance. If it wasn't for the easement, neither of us would, in theory, be able to access the garage with our cars as it would be considered trespassing (just as if you were driving over your neighbour's lawn).

However, his interpretation of it is that he only needs to shovel his half. Apparently, 15 years ago when they moved in, the guy in my house at the time explicitly said they were not to shovel on "his property". It's been that way ever since, with 3 successive residents in my house. I think it's nothing short of idiotic, and since I have a right of way for use and maintenance and cannot conceive of how someone thinks the above is a reasonable solution, I'm shovelling the whole thing, whether he wants me to or not.

He can do as he pleases, but on principle now I feel that I've shown goodwill by shovelling the whole thing myself once last year (before I was aware of "the rules", and not made aware of them until the other night), if there is a good hard snowfall (truthfully, maybe once per season here), I'm doing my half at my convenience. If he has to leave, he now gets to do the whole thing if I haven't had a need to get to it first.

And the thing that gets me, is we've been getting along just fine for the past 15 months since we've moved in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Velocipediologist
    Thanks for the explanation. I was really getting hung up on this part;

Nor did he seem to understand how asinine this system is at a point when it REALLY snows
    I wasn't too sure what the SYSTEM was exactly.

I've often debated which type of neighbor is the best to have, a jack wipe that I don't interact with much or your 'best buddy' that is always under foot. I've had both. I also had one that started out as the 'best buddy' that quickly became a jack wipe.
    Shoveling snow..........
    This mssg brought to you by Mr. Bananas.

Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?

Eddy 53:11
    I used to live in a town home. I paid a plow driver one night to plow my space and my next door neighbors space.

The next day, I had a note on my front door from my next door neighbor who claimed after talking to the other neighbors, they felt it was not safe to have had the snow plowed/pushed from the car's space onto the sidewalk out front of our houses (which was never used).

. . . . and that's way I pay dearly to not live so close to a$$clowns. A good dead never goes unpunished.

I feel for you! Sometimes though, you just gotta HTFU, get the exercise benefit, and move forward. You can't be reasonable with unreasonable people.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I say just pretend like it's your driveway. Shovel the whole thing 100% of the time and bask in the smug superiority that you're a better person.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    .....well, I don't know who, but it certainly wasn't toward me.
    I feel your pain. I use to cut the entire property front of a neighbor in another home I owned because... well? Where do I stop seeing our properties which flowed together and ...they never cut their lawn at the same time ...[as in hardly ever]? So I continued to cut our mutual grass. Same with the snow removal on the side walk [as well] during winters. What is it? An extra 20 minutes?

Glad I'm out of that game. I am no longer as close to anyone. I really don't need the time wasted thinking about it. Good guys finish last.

I give you hats off for the effort though. Chapeau!

Living on top of each other can suckatage.