We have met the enemy...

The peleton sounds different...

than back in the day.

I was on my morning ride, & pulled over to let the racers from the Bear Mountain Spring Classic shoot on by...

Funny how thirty years on you can still remember the sounds of the bunch--in the old days more chain noise (as good as campy was) and that unmistakable sound of a lot of alloy rims with sewups--that weird, pingy metallic sound with the singing overtone of tire on pavement.

On a quick look I saw mostly crabon wheels and the sound is harsher and less lively...

Still though--a lovely sight on a Sunday morning & I even got cheered up a hill by a cute girl jogger until I confessed I was just a tourist.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

waterproof*
    yep... the sound of a mass start used to be the distinctive scraping of cleats on toe clips.
    now it's "clickclickclickclickclick"

and the deep carbon wheels make a really cool whoosing noise, sometimes sounds like a car overtaking almost. (a handy way to know where other riders are around you).

and the shifting. click click click - and it's funny with fingertip shifting, everybody shifts at the same moment now.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

vexatious enigma
    I really like the sound of a carbon wheelset; especially when they are on a track bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown
    than back in the day.

I was on my morning ride, & pulled over to let the racers from the Bear Mountain Spring Classic shoot on by...

Funny how thirty years on you can still remember the sounds of the bunch--in the old days more chain noise (as good as campy was) and that unmistakable sound of a lot of alloy rims with sewups--that weird, pingy metallic sound with the singing overtone of tire on pavement.

On a quick look I saw mostly crabon wheels and the sound is harsher and less lively...

Still though--a lovely sight on a Sunday morning & I even got cheered up a hill by a cute girl jogger until I confessed I was just a tourist.
    There's something about the sound of newer wheels, or perhaps it's the how they resonate through a crabon frames, or maybe a combination of the two that is lifeless.
    Instead of a tight, precise "tick", I'm hearing a more harsh, but yet somehow dull "tock". It sounds like you've put a ten-foot section of PVC pipe to your ear and pointed the other end at a proper spinning rear wheel.
    It's like the difference between the clean sound of plucking a correctly tensioned stainless steel spoke, and plucking a drastically under-tensioned spoke that's vibrating against a plastic spoke protector.