Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    If you are conservative, and live below your means, you don't have to work until you are 70yo. If you spend all your resources having fun now, well, you are gonna be working for a long time.
    Fully agree with this. You most productive years for earning decent $ are probably from 35-50. You should have had your fun 22-32, and get more serious about a career from mid-30's. Bank / invest wisely as much as you can.

I always felt it's not about how much $ you made, but how much you saved, and how well you invested it. You may also want to think about health and retirement benefits, in the US medicare and Social Security, i.e. how many working years are needed to be vested.
    And like all things, it really comes down to timing. Right now the US job market is excellent, low unemployment, companies are hiring. 7-8 years ago, it was the opposite, jobs were impossible to find. In 5 years it could be that way again.

I'd be looking for the dream job/company, in the dream location at this point, making as much $$ as possible. Whatever that means to you. With experience, you are at the right age to do it. And, kids are flexible. They can handle changes, ideally you want to get them though high school in one place though.
    The time to pull back is at 50-55, IMO that would be the ideal time to pull back and move to Europe.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Seeing Micro to Macro

Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    People are more alike than they'd like to admit, and so I know someone else had to have dealt with the same at some point... ?
    You'll be raising your first child in that european nation. All the "new" family experiences will be in the backdrops of that culture. Your child's first words akin to it too.

I've always felt that no one can be a king on two thrones. You have choices here at an age where this one has to count. For some, like our family, the grass is very green in these united states of america. Some of us have dreamt for such chance.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    You'll be raising your first child in that european nation. All the "new" family experiences will be in the backdrops of that culture. Your child's first words akin to it too.

I've always felt that no one can be a king on two thrones. You have choices here at an age where this one has to count. For some, like our family, the grass is very green in these united states of america. Some of us have dreamt for such chance.
    Prolific and but less helpful. I realize it's not my job to sway opinion, but I'm not sure I agree with the last sentence, though I guess it all depends where you're coming from in the first place. I emigrated from a place that was under martial law, but now routinely return to a place with a gleaming downtown punctuated with logos of American corporations, fancy coffee and fast food, malls where you can practice conspicuous consumption.

Heck, I could even continue to consult remotely in my area of expertise. I would not mind my child spending a few years immersed in our culture. Still, you are on to something as this is a fairly polarizing issue and you are not alone in your general viewpoint.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12