Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Long read for some of you, from the Guardian which attempts to explain the reaction to the ad.

“Frankly, it’s as if Donald Trump created the spot. The dystopian read on where brand communication is going is the awful current reality of a post-truth world, where we lie, we create alternate facts, we try to hoodwink the public with artifice, we sidle up to a couple of celebrities, and we hope that 51% of the population like it. I think it could be the worst ad of all time, and we have made a fair few of those, as an industry.”

Still, he says, there has been at least one positive to come out of it – for once, everyone has been on the same side, even if just for a moment. “For me, the most refreshing thing about today is that everybody hates it,”
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...co-opt-protest
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Controversial? Why? Because it has a lot of brown-skinned hipsters?
    I think the "controversy" is that it trivializes some of the real conflicts we have. Then you throw in Kendall, who is famous for being famous. But, if a Pepsi can truly heal the divides, I am all for it. I personally did not find it offensive, just silly. I have to say those are the happiest protesters I've ever seen

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Massive numbers of people who never think about the Pepsi brand are now thinking about it and discussing it ad nauseam on social media.

Mission Accomplished!

We're so stupidly gullible now, we get what we deserve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OH man, this really IS a great commercial for Coke. The morning news is replaying the classic Coke ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing....."

They say "THIS is what Pepsi was trying to re-create, woe is Pepsi...."

Cops might not always be violent toward protesters, but they break up protests in more subversive ways. They'll send plain-clothes people into a peaceful protest to start trouble, while the uniformed cops push people into a tighter space.

Once fights break out, they can cause chaos and break up the protest with justification. But they also don't need justification to spray mace into people's eyes, that still happens.

Anyway. Some Pepsi marketing person is getting fired today I suppose.......or is this an example of "no PR is bad PR"??

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    OH man, this really IS a great commercial for Coke. The morning news is replaying the classic Coke ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing....."

They say "THIS is what Pepsi was trying to re-create, woe is Pepsi...."

Cops might not always be violent toward protesters, but they break up protests in more subversive ways. They'll send plain-clothes people into a peaceful protest to start trouble, while the uniformed cops push people into a tighter space.

Once fights break out, they can cause chaos and break up the protest with justification. But they also don't need justification to spray mace into people's eyes, that still happens.

Anyway. Some Pepsi marketing person is getting fired today I suppose.......or is this an example of "no PR is bad PR"??
    That's my take on it.

Crusty AF
    I thought the Pepsi ad was kind of meh as well.

Nivea, OTOH, just put on a clinic on how to make an offensive ad. To add insult to insult, Nivea is a German-based company.
    Nivea deodorant advert branded 'racist' for saying 'white is purity' | Metro News

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    I thought the Pepsi ad was kind of meh as well.

Nivea, OTOH, just put on a clinic on how to make an offensive ad. To add insult to insult, Nivea is a German-based company.
    Nivea deodorant advert branded 'racist' for saying 'white is purity' | Metro News

Sony: "Hold my beer."

Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is what happens when you appoint people you know socially to highly-coveted marketing positions.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Here's my cynical take on it:

The ad was meant to be inflammatory, and have a short shelf life with the intention that repetition in social media would continue long after the ad was "pulled" in response to outrage.

Further, I'd say the ad struck a nice note will all the people out there who detest BLM and all it stands for, and how BLM is represented in the streets at protests.

You probably know a few of these anti-BLM people. They typically respond to every mention of BLM with something along the lines of All Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter.

That demographic is not only not outraged, they're seeing the Pepsi brand in a new, more favorable light. And a bunch of them who currently drink 2 liters of Coke every day may decide to give Pepsi a try next time they're in the supermarket. "If it pisses off the lefties and libtards and the blacks, I'm all for it!"

Giant companies like Pepsi and their agencies don't make amateur doofus moves as this is being portrayed. In fact, this ad has probably been in proposal and production for the better part of a year, complete with focus groups, legal review, etc, etc.
    Last edited by SPlKE; 04-06-2017 at 10:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=SPlKE;5141007]Here's my cynical take on it:

I'd say that's a very plausible take on it based, in part, on the attitudes of the folks I know who drink lots of soda.

Unrelated but, would you have any idea why I haven't been able to quote RBR posts for the past couple months?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    [QUOTE=dir-t;5141022]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Here's my cynical take on it:
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

I'd say that's a very plausible take on it based, in part, on the attitudes of the folks I know who drink lots of soda.

Unrelated but, would you have any idea why I haven't been able to quote RBR posts for the past couple months?
    You're not including the [ / QUOTE ] (without any spaces) at the end of the quote.

Lost in Space...
    Not Nivea's first rodeo..

Pepsi, WTF were you thinking ??-nivea-advertising-ruudbaan_g1i33.jpg

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Sony: "Hold my beer."

Holy sh*t.

Guess they're trying to sell to Trump supporters.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think the "controversy" is that it trivializes some of the real conflicts we have. Then you throw in Kendall, who is famous for being famous. But, if a Pepsi can truly heal the divides, I am all for it. I personally did not find it offensive, just silly. I have to say those are the happiest protesters I've ever seen
    I think that's the 500# gorilla.

The wig, to a lesser extent... but you have to read into that one. The fact that she tosses it to a black woman seems an incredibly bad choice given that it's likely not channeling protests in general, but rather, references to Black Lives Matter.. so it's not that it just trivializes, as it's sort of blatantly done in bad taste.

Ieshia L. Evans, a nurse and mother was arrested that day in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
    Pepsi, WTF were you thinking ??-0106bsss11.jpg

Seat's not level
    Pepsi Lives Matter... until they don't

Actually, they wanted controversy, so they could get more PR. It worked.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

take on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pepsi Lives Matter... until they don't

Actually, they wanted controversy, so they could get more PR. It worked.
    Of course they were going for PR. But I don't think they fully anticipated the level of "F**k you, Pepsi" they got alongside of the attention.

This is the problem with static, low-quality products like sugar water and cheap beer... it's all about the marketing, since the product is 'meh' to poor and never really changes much (and

So to move the needle, the executives of said companies pushing the stuff have to engage in 'stupid marketing tricks' from time to time.

I still remember the beer cans that had the 'skunky beer indicator' on 'em. As if anyone in the history of man ever gave a sh*t, or could taste the diff between bad beer and bad skunky beer. Bad is bad.

Last edited by SystemShock; 04-06-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Of course they were going for PR. But I don't think they fully anticipated the level of "F**k you, Pepsi" they got alongside with the attention.

This is the problem with static, low-quality products like sugar water and cheap beer... it's all about the marketing, since the product is 'meh' to poor and never really changes.

So to move the needle, the executives of said companies pushing the stuff have to engage in 'stupid marketing tricks' from time to time.

I still remember the beer cans that had the 'skunky beer indicator' on 'em. As if anyone in the history of man ever gave a sh*t, or could taste the diff between bad beer and bad skunky beer.
    Mickey's Big Mouth was the skunkiest beer ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You're not including the [ / QUOTE ] (without any spaces) at the end of the quote.

Why does RBR no longer do that automatically when I click "Reply With Quote"? Sometimes it doesn't include any of the quote at all, others it only includes the first "[ / QUOTE ]" and maybe a sentence fragment of the total quote that I'm after.

a real member's member
    the real irony: for decades, both coca-cola co and pepsico have been pursuing a monopolization of world water supply which creates more poverty and unrest.

they're corporations with one primary goal, maximizing profit.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Giant companies like Pepsi and their agencies don't make amateur doofus moves as this is being portrayed. In fact, this ad has probably been in proposal and production for the better part of a year, complete with focus groups, legal review, etc, etc.

Years ago, I attended some sort of focus group thing that lasted most of the day. It involved watching some presentations (on a big screen in a theater of some kind) and answering questions about our thoughts on them.

The presentations were from lawyers for big tobacco. That's about all I remember. It was boring, but it paid a couple hundred dollars or so for the day. Made me feel a little dirty, but they didn't tell us what it was for, and we weren't supposed to discuss the details.

I was amazed at the amount of money that went into simply perfecting the legal arguments. Nothing was being left to chance.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Some levity as WW3 begins:

Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Pepsi, WTF were you thinking ??
    They were thinking that it would be a good idea to align their product with people that are represented in the ad.

Mellinnials, Protesters, Hipsters .... and chippendales cops...

Seat's not level

Proof, examples, documentation or are you just pulling this out of wishful thinking/bias?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [I]
    I was amazed at the amount of money that went into simply perfecting the legal arguments. Nothing was being left to chance.
    I've had telephone calls, prior to elections, that were clearly trying to figure out the best way to formulate poll questions in order to get a preferred response. I get pretty offended by that and make sure to let them know.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Proof, examples, documentation or are you just pulling this out of wishful thinking/bias?
    Start here: LMGTFY
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast