Spicy Dumpling

Photogs: Brenizer Method?

Anybody heard of using the Brenizer Method for getting extremely narrow DOF? I read about it in one of my other forums and decided to give it a try. Basically go with a wide aperture and fixed focus on your subject then make a big arsed panorama around the subject. You can end up with some awesome effects, basically a wide angle lens with a wide aperture ( < 1.0 from what I've read, I don't do math).

I tried it yesterday, the stitching from photoshop sucked but it does have a great look to it. I'm going to try again this weekend. One tip, use lowest resolution on the photos for the stitching. I ended up with a 220 megapixel image that took 2 hours to stitch and render with 12 mp individual shots. One guy even used the DSLR video mode and extracted frames as he swept around the prefocused subject.

One from the guy that came up with the system.

My Attempt, again crappy stitching but enough to make me want to try again:
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Steaming piles of opinion
    So using a longish lens and panning it out, right? I've played that with film and paper with mounting-tape 'stitching' BITD.

That was a to slightly different purpose: I was attempting to capture a large building front with limited setback, without resorting to a fisheye perspective, and also needed to use a lens that didn't barrel if the stitching was ever going to work out.

Once the mosaic was assembled, I had a 3-D curved print that had relatively flat perspective when viewed from the correct spot. For that use, I suffered the effect that this is exploiting: The far reaches of the building started to fall out of focus.

I then wanted to attempt something nearly hemispherical, but gave up when considering the art installation involved.

Interesting stuff.

I really like your shot, though the other image might beat you on subject matter.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Spicy Dumpling
    Yep that's the concept. Mine was done with a 50 1.7 on APS-C. It looks like a great way to get the wide angle feel without a lot of distortion. It also makes for some great looks with the narrow DOF on a wide angle lens look that you can't normally get. It really isolates the subject well.

And it will definitely slow you down. That poorly stitched shot took hours.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    There were some shots in The Social Network with a crazy tight DOF. I wondered if they used special f/x for that or just had some sweet ass lens.

For Barry Lyndon, Kubrick got Zeiss to make some f/.7 lenses for all the candlelit scenes.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    For Barry Lyndon, Kubrick got Zeiss to make some f/.7 lenses for all the candlelit scenes.
    Jeebus. Really?
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio_B
    Jeebus. Really?
    http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Spicy Dumpling
    There were some shots in The Social Network with a crazy tight DOF. I wondered if they used special f/x for that or just had some sweet ass lens.

I'd heard about those lenses, Leica also has an F0.95 50mm if I remember correctly. I have no idea how anyone could use them wide open and get decent focus but I'd love to try. My fastest is the 1.7 and that's a good compromise.

turtle killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    I'd heard about those lenses, Leica also has an F0.95 50mm if I remember correctly. I have no idea how anyone could use them wide open and get decent focus but I'd love to try. My fastest is the 1.7 and that's a good compromise.
    depth of field on that 50 (at 30ft) would be close to the DOF on my F2.8 135mm Nikkor-Q

based off a rough calc using an f == 1.0 on the 50, I'd need to hand do the calcs for the .95 since the calc tool I have won't allow it.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    depth of field on that 50 (at 30ft) would be close to the DOF on my F2.8 135mm Nikkor-Q

based off a rough calc using an f == 1.0 on the 50, I'd need to hand do the calcs for the .95 since the calc tool I have won't allow it.
    I don't have problems at that distance. It's trying to focus on the eyes when doing portrait stuff and not missing it. At 5 feet the DOF is about an inch and a half. It was a lot easier with a Full Frame pentaprism and 20 year old eyes. And I don't think AF helps that much in that situation, at least for me.

turtle killer.
    yea, this is exactly why the 135 is my primary 'portrait' lens.. at least with a Fx type sensor, it's a bit long for a Dx.

btw, that DoF is pretty close to that of my 1.8 50mm when attached to a 25mm macro tube.
    Last edited by dysfunction; 01-21-2011 at 10:36 AM.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    I think you did it pretty well, Vaughn!

I hate to spend a lot of time in PP, but that may be worth it. Those shots on the link you posted are fantastic.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

the fist
    that's cool!
    FlexiSexual

n00bsauce
    Gawd, Barry Lyndon, I forgot about that movie, and for a reason. The only movie I ever walked out on, it was so bad.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

n00bsauce
    Almost a 3-D effect, cool.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Gawd, Barry Lyndon, I forgot about that movie, and for a reason. The only movie I ever walked out on, it was so bad.
    It's such a great movie.
    -- Gut

Spicy Dumpling
    I tried the video system and it works remarkably well. Setup the camera for video. Record the movie then extract maybe 2 frames per second and then stitch them. I missed a couple of spots but my first attempt surprised me. I get a pretty high MP picture and it takes 5 minutes instead of 2 hours. This is with a demo version of a stitcher that I really like so it has watermarks. I'll probably go ahead and buy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photogs:  Brenizer Method?-pano_frame_120.jpg  

Steaming piles of opinion

Dunno those films, but I've seen some foreign films that have used tilt lenses to good effect in chopping out depth-of-field. Not a usual trick for motion pictures, so it can look a little trippy.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..