RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

A pit bull for a K-9 cop??? What'll they think of next?

But apparently, they're too "nice" to make good police dogs.

Canine cops help police | abc7chicago.com

"...The two newest members of the Cook County Sheriff's K9 unit are unique and are already performing beyond expectations....

...The K9 unit consists of a variety of dogs, including bloodhounds and German shepherds, but the most recent member of the force is a very loving, very friendly pit bull.

A pit bull named Elliot Ness is anything but untouchable. Loving and friendly, these traits keep most pit bulls from being good police dogs.

"The main problem we're finding with pit bulls is that they're too darn nice. All they want to do is just sit at your feet or crawl in your lap. They're very nice dogs," said Deborah Thedos, Cook County K9 Unit..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pitbulls and bully blends are great family pets. They are also very trainable, but not a great nose I think. So maybe not so great for police work in that regard.
    I like the positive press!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can not plan sincerity; you have to make it up on the spot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elcameron View Post
    Pitbulls and bully blends are great family pets. They are also very trainable, but not a great nose I think. So maybe not so great for police work in that regard.
    I like the positive press!!

Funny! My pit enjoys "sunning" herself much the same way the dog in your pic does.

As far as "noses" go, no a Pit won't beat a bloodhound. But they are known to track quite well.

They're pretty much all 'rounder dogs from what I'm discovering with a bit of research and experiential anecdotes. A jack of all trades but master of none...they're much like the favorite "go-to" bike in your stable: equally at home navigating the road, the worst mountain trail, blasting through muddy bogs, fording rivers, rounding up stragglers, going balls-out for hours, or just hanging out in the house patiently waiting for the next adventure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A pit bull for a K-9 cop??? What'll they think of next?-rainy.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Having worked with Pit Bulls in the past they are truly very family oriented and very loving dogs and I have to wonder just exactly how much torture and cruelty these sick bastards who fight these dogs make them endure in order to get them to fight.

As far as I am concerned anyone caught dog fighting or training dogs to fight needs to be put to death immediately!

Captain Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    But apparently, they're too "nice" to make good police dogs.

Canine cops help police | abc7chicago.com

"...The two newest members of the Cook County Sheriff's K9 unit are unique and are already performing beyond expectations....

...The K9 unit consists of a variety of dogs, including bloodhounds and German shepherds, but the most recent member of the force is a very loving, very friendly pit bull.

A pit bull named Elliot Ness is anything but untouchable. Loving and friendly, these traits keep most pit bulls from being good police dogs.

"The main problem we're finding with pit bulls is that they're too darn nice. All they want to do is just sit at your feet or crawl in your lap. They're very nice dogs," said Deborah Thedos, Cook County K9 Unit..."

cool. thanks. I just stole that for fb.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBoy1 View Post
    Having worked with Pit Bulls in the past they are truly very family oriented and very loving dogs and I have to wonder just exactly how much torture and cruelty these sick bastards who fight these dogs make them endure in order to get them to fight.

As far as I am concerned anyone caught dog fighting or training dogs to fight needs to be put to death immediately!

Not much.

Take a willing-to-please, physical breed with powerful jaws, add in some line-breeding that departs from the "unwanted niceness" of their traditional English/American Staffordshire Terrier traits, and whammo...you've got yourself a fighting dog.

Disgusting.

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    Not much.

Take a willing-to-please, physical breed with powerful jaws, add in some line-breeding that departs from the "unwanted niceness" of their traditional English/American Staffordshire Terrier traits, and whammo...you've got yourself a fighting dog.

Disgusting.
    It's my understanding that human aggression and dog aggression are two different things.

When my dogs were alive the reason I didn't like unleashed pit bulls wasn't because I thought they were going to attack me. Rather, I was worried about dog aggression.

And then there are just generally aggressive dogs, which can happen with the odd duck of just about any breed.

RoadBikeReview Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    It's my understanding that human aggression and dog aggression are two different things.

When my dogs were alive the reason I didn't like unleashed pit bulls wasn't because I thought they were going to attack me. Rather, I was worried about dog aggression.

And then there are just generally aggressive dogs, which can happen with the odd duck of just about any breed.
    Unleashed pits are less likely to have an issue than other breeds. Other pits I have had I have kept on leash, this one is a Champ!!

My dog was bitten at an off leash park and did not even respond to the aggressive dog, even though my dog is twice the size. The owner was terrified and embarrassed. But my dog did not respond, and I figure you take your chances at an off leash park, so we left and got it stapled up.

Point being: judge a person by their actions not race or origin, and judge a dog by their actions, not breed. Sorry about the crappy pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can not plan sincerity; you have to make it up on the spot.