Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 119
  1. #26
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    18,672
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    what if we removed their teeth?

    another idea is some kind of mandatory 'clockwork orange' training.

    (this is the lounge.)
    Remove them like a bumble?
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    what if we removed their teeth?
    It worked in one of the zombie movies I saw. It stopped spreading to other humans.


    Oh, wait, it's a movie...

  3. #28
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,613
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It worked in one of the zombie movies... Oh, wait, it's a movie...
    good fiction can teach us pretty much everything we need to know.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,021
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It worked in one of the zombie movies I saw. It stopped spreading to other humans.


    Oh, wait, it's a movie...
    surviving a zombie apocalypse is a very transferable skill, but where do you find a dentist willing to take this on?

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Well, Thanks for posting ths dumbest thing I have read all day. You should really post more like this in PO.
    Well, Thanks for posting the dumbest thing I have read all day. You shouldn't really post anymore....

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: superflylondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    342
    Do you know how to spot a crazy person? It is when they start with the phrase "my dog/how I train my animal would never do..." sorry it is an animal you have no idea what your family pet is capable of. You do? I didn't know you speak dog....lol

    People....animals are all capable of things we have no idea. To act like you "know" is insane.

    I once had a cat...it would hide from every person. My family would come over and it would hide...I'm talking like 7 years of this cat hiding from anyone that was not me or my wife. Got it as a kitten was normal at first then boom it became a recluse to everyone but us.

    Fast forward i am buying my first house...the realtor says "if you have any cats please lock them away i am afraid" so i laugh in my head as my cat hates people and here is a lady saying she is scare of cats.....now she comes over and is at my house 3 minutes before my cat come saunter out of the basement and jumps in her lap! i think I was more shocked than she was!

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by superflylondon View Post
    Do you know how to spot a crazy person? It is when they start with the phrase "my dog/how I train my animal would never do..." sorry it is an animal you have no idea what your family pet is capable of. You do? I didn't know you speak dog....lol

    People....animals are all capable of things we have no idea. To act like you "know" is insane.

    I once had a cat...it would hide from every person. My family would come over and it would hide...I'm talking like 7 years of this cat hiding from anyone that was not me or my wife. Got it as a kitten was normal at first then boom it became a recluse to everyone but us.

    Fast forward i am buying my first house...the realtor says "if you have any cats please lock them away i am afraid" so i laugh in my head as my cat hates people and here is a lady saying she is scare of cats.....now she comes over and is at my house 3 minutes before my cat come saunter out of the basement and jumps in her lap! i think I was more shocked than she was!
    That's a funny story, thanks for sharing.

    My husband is allergic to cats and he is the first person a cat makes a beeline for when he goes into a house.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  8. #33
    I make Eagles fly
    Reputation: Terrasmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    All dogs have the potential to be aggressive. NO dog should be allowed around a 1 year old because NO dog is predictable.
    Iím more worried about the person who would try mess with my kids.

    Attachment 321612
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    There is so much bullshit in this thread, I need a pooper scooper just to wade through it.

    There is nothing wrong with pits, there is nothing wrong with rotties. The issue comes down to breeding, and ownership. .
    well you've nicely outlined some ripe smelly dog shyte, that is for sure From your own keyboard

    a good pittie is a dead pittie. Should NEVER have been bred into existence.

    period

    Why? no pet animal should ever have such physical killing power in its jaws. WHY DO YOU NEED A DOG THAT HAS THE POWER TO KILL AN ADULT LIKE THAT???? Even if you think it is tamed adequately, bred adequately, all you really know is that freak has the jaws that can seriously maim and kill another human and it has a mind of its own you cannot 100% control.

    I applaud the too-few places which have instituted bans on these 2 breeds Pits and Rottis).

    My best friend's brother had a wonderful, well bred pit bull. Played with their 5 year old daughter. Aw such a cute dog. A quiet friendly doggie ...

    ... until they woke up one morning and the pit had killed the other two dogs and a couple cats overnight. Solved with a bullet
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    well you've nicely outlined some ripe smelly dog shyte, that is for sure From your own keyboard

    a good pittie is a dead pittie. Should NEVER have been bred into existence.

    period

    Why? no pet animal should ever have such physical killing power in its jaws. WHY DO YOU NEED A DOG THAT HAS THE POWER TO KILL AN ADULT LIKE THAT???? Even if you think it is tamed adequately, bred adequately, all you really know is that freak has the jaws that can seriously maim and kill another human and it has a mind of its own you cannot 100% control.

    I applaud the too-few places which have instituted bans on these 2 breeds Pits and Rottis).

    My best friend's brother had a wonderful, well bred pit bull. Played with their 5 year old daughter. Aw such a cute dog. A quiet friendly doggie ...

    ... until they woke up one morning and the pit had killed the other two dogs and a couple cats overnight. Solved with a bullet
    Try again...
    From Animal Planet,
    Stories of bullies' super-strong jaws might make great horror film fodder, but science doesn't support them. Research conducted by Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin at the University of Georgia shows that bully breeds don't show any mechanical or morphological differences in jaw structure when compared to other dogs -- nor do their jaws come equipped with locking capabilities.
    To explore the question of jaw strength, a 2005 National Geographic study measured force of bite for several creatures as pounds of bite pressure. On average, dogs exhibited about 320 pounds of pressure, while humans came in at 120 pounds and great white sharks at 600. The study also included a simulated bite sleeve test with a German shepherd, a Rottweiler and an American pit bull terrier. The pit bull actually registered the least amount pressure among the group, despite rumors that bully breeds can clamp down with an alarming 1600 pounds of force.


    I guess that means we need to kill every German Shepard now as well...

    You apparent bias and misunderstanding of dogs.. well I hope you don't have any.


  11. #36
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,611
    Quote Originally Posted by superflylondon View Post
    ...and here is a lady saying she is scare of cats.....now she comes over and is at my house 3 minutes before my cat come saunter out of the basement and jumps in her lap! i think I was more shocked than she was!
    Why do cats love cat haters?
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  12. #37
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    18,672
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

    ... until they woke up one morning and the pit had killed the other two dogs and a couple cats overnight. Solved with a bullet
    They managed to sleep through their dog turning into Richard Speck?
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    They managed to sleep through their dog turning into Richard Speck?
    Yeah. I'm calling bullshit on that. The noise the animals would have made would have been blood curdling.

    Again, comes down to the owners, and knowing the animals.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Yeah. I'm calling bullshit on that. The noise the animals would have made would have been blood curdling.

    Again, comes down to the owners, and knowing the animals.
    Yeah, that would have woken up the neighborhood.

    Dogs that have NO history of aggression and suddenly become so is normally due to a health issue.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  15. #40
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,382
    We have 4 dogs; 2 shepherds, a lab, and a mutt. I would never think that one of them would not bite myself or someone else under the right circumstances. Most dogs actually bite out of fear rather than aggression. They feel something is up with the person and they react instinctively to protect themselves. I have seen our female shepherd catch a possum and kill it instantly with one chomp and then she shook the crap out of it. Yet she will lay by me and put her paw on my arm and snuggle. You have to give all dogs the healthy respect they deserve and never say never.

    Any dog can bite if the situation is right, and some breeds are more aggressive and stronger than others, why they aren't required to be registered is beyond me. A rat terrier can be just as aggressive as a pit or a rottie, it's just that the larger dogs have the muscle strength to kill.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    WHY DO YOU NEED A DOG THAT HAS THE POWER TO KILL AN ADULT LIKE THAT????
    For security and law enforcement. It also works as a deterrent and it's been done for thousands of years.

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    For security and law enforcement. It also works as a deterrent and it's been done for thousands of years.
    it's 2018, there is no need for such crude security. We have technology for security. law enforcement do not use pit bulls nor Rotti. they use german shepherds, partly because those dogs do not kill humans and have far less powerful jaws.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Any dog can bite if the situation is right,
    I beg to differ.

    pitbull mauled 1 yr old girl-55906444-ca58-4164-a38a-47a225bbfe5f-tyson-preview.jpg

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    They managed to sleep through their dog turning into Richard Speck?
    it is a farm, 130 acres. pit bulls are quiet too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    it's 2018, there is no need for such crude security.
    Yes we do.
    We have technology for security.
    Not enough as of yet. Plus, it takes 5-10 minutes for the police to arrive even in well managed towns. Most crimes happen in seconds.

    law enforcement do not use pit bulls nor Rotti. they use german shepherds, partly because those dogs do not kill humans and have far less powerful jaws.
    German Shepard has the power to kill an adult.

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    German Shepard has the power to kill an adult.
    and yet the statistics prove that they do not kill in anywhere near the appalling disgusting, immoral, callous frequency as do pit bulls. You can play fancy footwork around those facts, but your argument is zero in the face of the facts.

    and sure, some idiots think they are entitled to a dog for security. I consider such people sadly out of touch with civilized society. almost as deluded as those who think they need to carry a handgun for security. In reality such people's larger motivation is style and fascination with such curious objects.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  22. #47
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,382
    It's a proven fact that simply having a dog on your property is a great first line of defense against home invasion and theft etc. You feel a bit more secure knowing that nobody is going to come through your door at night or get within range before a good dog let's you know about it. I really don't know why you think dogs are not necessary perhaps you live in a place where you don't need one, but many people do and like the option. If you think we are idiots and out of touch with reality because we have companion animals that are also excellent burglar alarms I don't know how to reason with thinking like that.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It's a proven fact that simply having a dog on your property is a great first line of defense against home invasion and theft etc. You feel a bit more secure knowing that nobody is going to come through your door at night or get within range before a good dog let's you know about it. I really don't know why you think dogs are not necessary perhaps you live in a place where you don't need one, but many people do and like the option. If you think we are idiots and out of touch with reality because we have companion animals that are also excellent burglar alarms I don't know how to reason with thinking like that.
    Based on his prior comments, I already determined arguing with him is a waste of time. His mind is made up, and nothing will change it. I sincerely hope he/she is not an animal owner.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    and yet the statistics prove that they do not kill in anywhere near the appalling disgusting, immoral, callous frequency as do pit bulls. You can play fancy footwork around those facts, but your argument is zero in the face of the facts.

    and sure, some idiots think they are entitled to a dog for security. I consider such people sadly out of touch with civilized society. almost as deluded as those who think they need to carry a handgun for security. In reality such people's larger motivation is style and fascination with such curious objects.
    Please tell that to those women who have been murdered and/or raped in their home. I do not agree with guns, but I sure as heck agree that a dog can be quite good security, even if it's just notifying it's owner that there is an intruder or stranger about the property.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    it is a farm, 130 acres. pit bulls are quiet too.
    It's the animals that are being attacked that make the noise. Have you heard cats fighting?

    So the animals had a 130 acres to run, but not one, even the cats were able to escape?
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Loose Pitbull chasing cyclist in Mooers, NY Friday May 6, 2016
    By FasterStronger in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 01:12 AM
  2. How we keep the French Bulldog and Pitbull Friendly
    By Ridgetop in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  3. Another viscious pitbull thread
    By bmxhacksaw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
  5. Forget the PitBull, beware of BigBill
    By OldEndicottHiway in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.