Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Here are some facts on dog bite fatalities:

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/ab...ma.243.12.1726

Objective—To examine potentially preventable factors in human dog bite–related fatalities (DBRFs) on the basis of data from sources that were more complete, verifiable, and accurate than media reports used in previous studies.

Results—Major co-occurrent factors for the 256 DBRFs included absence of an able-bodied person to intervene (n = 223 [87.1%]),
    incidental or no familiar relationship of victims with dogs (218 [85.2%]),
    owner failure to neuter dogs (216 [84.4%]),
    compromised ability of victims to interact appropriately with dogs (198 [77.4%]),
    dogs kept isolated from regular positive human interactions versus family dogs (195 [76.2%]),
    owners’ prior mismanagement of dogs (96 [37.5%]),
    and owners’ history of abuse or neglect of dogs (54 [21.1%]).
    Four or more of these factors co-occurred in 206 (80.5%) deaths.

For 401 dogs described in various media accounts,
    reported breed differed for 124 (30.9%);
    for 346 dogs with both media and animal control breed reports, breed differed for 139 (40.2%).
    Valid breed determination was possible for only 45 (17.6%) DBRFs; 20 breeds, including 2 known mixes, were identified.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Most DBRFs were characterized by coincident, preventable factors; breed was not one of these. Study results supported previous recommendations for multifactorial approaches, instead of single-factor solutions such as breed-specific legislation, for dog bite prevention.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    It's the animals that are being attacked that make the noise. Have you heard cats fighting?

So the animals had a 130 acres to run, but not one, even the cats were able to escape?
    Come on, didn't you know, in the face of an evil pitbull, all animals are frozen in fear, and line up to be killed one by one eagerly awaiting their turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Come on, didn't you know, in the face of an evil pitbull, all animals are frozen in fear, and line up to be killed one by one eagerly awaiting their turn...
    Cats are nocturnal so the would have been active at the time of..., oh, wait, I forgot about the duct tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would laugh if this was a laughing matter, but it's not (I love all critters). However, I did have the same mental picture. I have yet to know a cat who will not run & hide at the first sign of danger.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's the animals that are being attacked that make the noise. Have you heard cats fighting?

So the animals had a 130 acres to run, but not one, even the cats were able to escape?
    most of the cats and one dog survived. on a farm, cats as easy picking for any dog though. Once the pit bull is on your neck, you can't exactly run away, dog or cat, or child.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    And for the most part, any dog can be rehabilitated, . . .
    And for the other part people get killed by those things. I say "wack 'em" before they hurt someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    most of the cats and one dog survived. on a farm, cats as easy picking for any dog though. Once the pit bull is on your neck, you can't exactly run away, dog or cat, or child.
    I guess, knowing cats as I do (love4himies is for himalayan cats), they would not stick around if there was a dog/coyote/wolf on the prowl, they would go into hiding. For a dog/coyote/wolf to get one, yes, a surprise attack especially if the cat knows the dog, but once the dog shows aggression, all other cats would scatter and hide and then be on high alert.

Opus was just napping
    With the exception of the one cat that hid under the bed the entire time, so when doggie Speck lost count of how many he had killed she managed to live.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    With the exception of the one cat that hid under the bed the entire time, so when doggie Speck lost count of how many he had killed she managed to live.
    Speck always leaves one alive to spread the message.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good news about pitbulls should be told to keep the truth about them in the public eye:

Pit bull saves family from fire, tries to carry baby outside by - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Pit bull saves family from fire, tries to carry baby outside by diaper
    Perhaps this dog would be a good candidate for a service dog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Good news about pitbulls should be told to keep the truth about them in the public eye:

Pit bull saves family from fire, tries to carry baby outside by - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS
    Was this next to a story about how not wearing a seatbelt saved someone from sure death because they were ejected from their car in an accident? Because that's kind of the same idea -- a cherrypicked exception to the common case.

I love dogs, but pitbulls stand out to me as especially aggressive and easily provoked, along with of course the physical size to make that aggression a serious matter.

No one should assume any dog is safe to be around their small child unsupervised, but pitbulls are in a different league in this regard. A few "aw, the pitbull did something cute/helpful" stories doesn't change that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps this dog would be a good candidate for a service dog.
    raise you this one
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aby/656666002/

The family owns three pit bulls — a mother, one male sibling and one female sibling. The grandmother was walking the dogs when the male dog, which police said was 3 or 4-years-old, got away from her and attacked the baby who was bobbing in a bouncy chair in one of the bedrooms. The family raised the male dog who attacked the child from a pup. The baby was 8 months old!!

Another 8 month old human killed by a family "pet"
    8-month-old baby attacked, killed by family dog in Maryland | WJLA

I raised a bull orphan calf called Isaac when I was about 10. Even when he was nearly weighing a ton I could go and pet him and even ride on him. On cold windy days I would go and snuggle up next to him on the leeward side to get warm if I was out in the paddocks. Being a stud bull he had the fields to himself and I suspected he was lonely. One day my dad saw me playing with Isaac and that bull was sold and trucked out the next day. My dad had seen "tame" cattle crush men within inches of their lives.

Another cow got my brother against a fence in a yard once and was going nuts on him till he slipped through the rails. That cow met a bullet (303) there and then (the dogs enjoyed her for months to come) and her calf was veal for some rich townie to enjoy.
    I learnt two things pretty quickly. Animals are business capital to a farmer and sentiment should be kept for the appropriate species or breed and most animals should never be trusted.

But I'd like to suggest that 2000 pound bulls make great pets, I never got gored.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    raise you this one
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aby/656666002/

The family owns three pit bulls — a mother, one male sibling and one female sibling. The grandmother was walking the dogs when the male dog, which police said was 3 or 4-years-old, got away from her and attacked the baby who was bobbing in a bouncy chair in one of the bedrooms. The family raised the male dog who attacked the child from a pup. The baby was 8 months old!!

Another 8 month old human killed by a family "pet"
    8-month-old baby attacked, killed by family dog in Maryland | WJLA

I raised a bull orphan calf called Isaac when I was about 10. Even when he was nearly weighing a ton I could go and pet him and even ride on him. On cold windy days I would go and snuggle up next to him on the leeward side to get warm if I was out in the paddocks. Being a stud bull he had the fields to himself and I suspected he was lonely. One day my dad saw me playing with Isaac and that bull was sold and trucked out the next day. My dad had seen "tame" cattle crush men within inches of their lives.

Another cow got my brother against a fence in a yard once and was going nuts on him till he slipped through the rails. That cow met a bullet (303) there and then (the dogs enjoyed her for months to come) and her calf was veal for some rich townie to enjoy.
    I learnt two things pretty quickly. Animals are business capital to a farmer and sentiment should be kept for the appropriate species or breed and most animals should never be trusted.

But I'd like to suggest that 2000 pound bulls make great pets, I never got gored.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oma/619598002/
    A pack of dogs mauled and killed a woman in Oklahoma last week, prompting police to ponder criminal charges in her death.

Tracy Garcia, 52, was near her home on the outskirts of Ardmore in the state's southern end when the seven dogs attacked her May 10.
    Dachshunds no less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    but pitbulls stand out to me as especially aggressive and easily provoked,
    But what do the experts say? There are other big dog breeds that fit such description as well.

along with of course the physical size to make that aggression a serious matter.
    German Sheperds are bigger and faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    correct it it not really the manner of the pit bull that is the problem (although they are known to harbour an ostensible quietness, and very occasional latent rage which appears out of nowhere), it is that it is a unique breed which is too powerful. It is like allowing folks to attach a minigun turrent to their pickup trucks: It has the firepower and you never know when one of them will unleash their killing power in a rage. Those other dogs are inherently less deadly, packing less of a deadly punch, as proven by the statistics, and the physics.

Solution: don't allow the ownership and breeding of this specific breed to save humans from injury and deaths.

It is not a difficult or complicated thing at all. It's a breed that humans artificially created, a frankenstein breed which is only detrimental to life on earth. There is no moral, historical nor reasonable reason that it should continue to exist, given the hundred other, better, nicer, safer breeds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's a breed that humans artificially created, a frankenstein breed which is only detrimental to life on earth.
    There are many 4 legged killing "machines" not created by humans. Here's one in recent discussion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    There are many 4 legged killing "machines" not created by humans. Here's one in recent discussion.
    Was that a family pet?

German Sheperds are bigger and faster.
    And what are GSs bred for? Hint, look at the last name. Horses for courses and the APB is bred for fighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pitbull mauled 1 yr old girl-worlds-smallest-stretch-armstrong.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/arin-...b_5623555.html

The term “pit bull” doesn’t actually refer to a specific breed of dog. It’s a catch-all term that usually means dogs who are one of a couple of types of terriers — American Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshire terriers are the usual ones — or dogs who resemble these terriers in some physical ways, but who may or may not actually have any genetic relationship to these kinds of dogs.
    They don’t. Pit bulls have just the same old mouths as every other kind of dog — and not even the strongest around.

An academic study, “Cranial dimensions and forces of biting in the domestic dog,” does show that bigger- and wider-skulled dogs have stronger bites. It’s worth noting, though, that not all pit bulls have big, wide skulls — these dogs come in a huge variety of sizes, especially compared to the world of dogs at large. And, it goes without saying — though I’ll say it anyway — that even if a dog has a big, wide skull, this does not make the dog any more likely to bite.*

No one, meantime, has found any dog to have a locking jaw. This anatomical trait is a myth.
    Not to beat a dead horse — we love horses here, too — but it all depends on the individual dog. A dog being labeled a pit bull tells you nothing about how that pup will be with other dogs.

And regardless of breed, good socialization is always recommended, to help dogs play nice.
    Now there is no doubt they are extremely strong dogs, but so are labs, bull mastiffs, huskies, rotties and the list goes on.

Can a dog be aggressive even with the correct socialization and training? Absolutely, but it's the dog, not the breed and that dog should be put down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now there is no doubt they are extremely strong dogs, but so are labs, bull mastiffs, huskies, rotties and the list goes on.
    Can a dog be aggressive even with the correct socialization and training? Absolutely, but it's the dog, not the breed and that dog should be put down.
    So just ignore centuries of selective breeding?

Labs bite more people than pit bulls globally. Use that next time. It's a fact. Oh and more people are injured by hot coffee than guns but no one wants to legislate coffee. Degrees of severity, something APB owners all too often overlook.

American Pit bull isn't a breed
    https://www.ukcdogs.com/american-pit-bull-terrier

"The United Kennel Club was the first registry to recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier. UKC founder C. Z. Bennett assigned UKC registration number 1 to his own APBT, Bennett’s Ring, in 1898". oops.

Opinion pieces aren't necessarily facts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I beg to differ.

Attachment 321617
    I agree that any type of dog can bite the way they wanted. But, in general, dogs are good maybe the best way to do in order to be safe is have them vaccinated ( anti-rabies).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Was that a family pet?
    My reply to BCSaltchucker wasn't about pet. BTW, there are pet cougars just like there are pet croc (recently in the news for eating another pet) and snakes.

And what are GSs bred for? Hint, look at the last name. Horses for courses and the APB is bred for fighting.
    GSs are often kept as family or business guard dog against other humans. It's one of the most popular pick for law enforcement duties.
    Unlike purebreds such as GS, APB vary a lot. There are many that look pitbull-ish and therefore considered as one. Generalizing it doesn't do justice.

RoadBikeReview Member

the killing stats tell the story.

sterilize them all, the sooner the better. jail time for any fool who adopts one

there is no way to argue the world would not be a better place without any pit bulls. period. You've got literally a hundred other better breeds to choose from!! sheesh

RoadBikeReview Member
    the killing stats tell the story.

sterilize them all, the sooner the better. jail time for any fool who adopts one

there is no way to argue the world would not be a better place without any pit bulls. period. You've got literally a hundred other better breeds to choose from!! sheesh
    Well, it's unfortunate that you write off a wonderful breed. At one time pitbulls were considered a good family dog and it's only been recently that they have been considered a "vicious breed". Perhaps because of some bad owners & irresponsible breeders.

Pitbull History - Where it all started

Would Our Gang, Buster Brown or RCA have selected a mascot that was nothing but a vicious killer? The dogs have been in the country for nearly 200 years, so why is it that it’s only in the last 20-25 years that pitbulls seem to constantly make headlines for their aggressiveness?
    https://www.pitbullinfo.org/statistics.html

Breed Risk Table
    The Breed Risk table uses dog bite-related fatality (DBRF) data sourced from a peer-reviewed study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that analyzed 20 years of dog bite incident data. As noted above, one of the benefits of risk rates is that they are resilient to breed population changes over time, so the DBRF dataset from this previously completed CDC study is still fully valid today. The table is sorted by descending risk rates, a higher risk rate indicates a potentially higher risk breed based on the breed's DBRF count relative to its population size. All relevant data, sources, and calculations are provided below.
    Breed Risk Table
    The Breed Risk table uses dog bite-related fatality (DBRF) data sourced from a peer-reviewed study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that analyzed 20 years of dog bite incident data. As noted above, one of the benefits of risk rates is that they are resilient to breed population changes over time, so the DBRF dataset from this previously completed CDC study is still fully valid today. The table is sorted by descending risk rates, a higher risk rate indicates a potentially higher risk breed based on the breed's DBRF count relative to its population size. All relevant data, sources, and calculations are provided below.

pitbull mauled 1 yr old girl-dog-breed-risk-rates_3_orig.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Can we get some statistics comparing the attacks by dogs to those of fish. I think I proved my point. I just don't get this whole 'dog' thing.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

let's not forget that they're also bred for aggression, i.e., it's in their DNA! Sort of like how a lion can never be a house pet no matter how it was raised from cub-hood with the family. The aggression is in the DNA and hard to "socialize it out". There is always risk that some environmental stimulus will trigger that aggression. Then what? That's why you have all these stories of people saying "oh that dog is a friendly dog, never thought it would be like that, blah blah blah"... until something cause it to flip to its wild side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast