Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,624

    pitbull mauled 1 yr old girl

    Horrific event. Hoping the girl will make it thru and will not suffer scarring for the rest of her life. I carry a tough ballistic stick with a pointy when I walk my nieces and nephews around our neighborhood because there are lots of dogs, and some of them are loose, particularly a couple folks who would let a rott and a pit loose sometimes. I'm not a dog owner, so my fear of dogs is probably a little heighten sometimes. Dog owners sometimes don't understand why I look paranoid, because in their mind their dogs are cute and friendly. But if a loose dog were to come running at my nephews and nieces, I don't think I would hesitate to use my stick. But I would like to hear the opinion of dog owners, experts, of what could possibly went wrong here. The dog was family dog, no history of aggression toward any human nor other dogs. So why did it attack a family member?

    1-Year-Old Attacked By Pit Bull, Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries « CBS Boston

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Horrific event. Hoping the girl will make it thru and will not suffer scarring for the rest of her life. I carry a tough ballistic stick with a pointy when I walk my nieces and nephews around our neighborhood because there are lots of dogs, and some of them are loose, particularly a couple folks who would let a rott and a pit loose sometimes. I'm not a dog owner, so my fear of dogs is probably a little heighten sometimes. Dog owners sometimes don't understand why I look paranoid, because in their mind their dogs are cute and friendly. But if a loose dog were to come running at my nephews and nieces, I don't think I would hesitate to use my stick. But I would like to hear the opinion of dog owners, experts, of what could possibly went wrong here. The dog was family dog, no history of aggression toward any human nor other dogs. So why did it attack a family member?
    This so much, dog owners just don't get it.

    once read a FB post reply by someone (about a dog attack) the person was defending dogs, gist was it's the owners and the training not the dog that's the problem, then went on to explain how they had a dog that no matter what, was completely untrainable and would attack anything and everything...er OK...
    All the gear and no idea

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,827
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Horrific event. Hoping the girl will make it thru and will not suffer scarring for the rest of her life. I carry a tough ballistic stick with a pointy when I walk my nieces and nephews around our neighborhood because there are lots of dogs, and some of them are loose, particularly a couple folks who would let a rott and a pit loose sometimes. I'm not a dog owner, so my fear of dogs is probably a little heighten sometimes. Dog owners sometimes don't understand why I look paranoid, because in their mind their dogs are cute and friendly. But if a loose dog were to come running at my nephews and nieces, I don't think I would hesitate to use my stick. But I would like to hear the opinion of dog owners, experts, of what could possibly went wrong here. The dog was family dog, no history of aggression toward any human nor other dogs. So why did it attack a family member?

    1-Year-Old Attacked By Pit Bull, Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries « CBS Boston
    I know that Pit bull owners will say that they can be trained to be non-aggressive but the reality is that fighting and aggression is in their DNA and they are just not as innately gentle as other breeds. The fact that so many pit bulls are involved in these incidents compared to other breeds bears that out.

    Funny story. We have a 130lb Newfoundland. She is a friendly dog but likes to bark a lot. My wife was expecting a package via UPS one day and it did not come. The next day the doorbell rings and I see the UPS guys running away. On the package is written "Not delivered: attack dog in backyard"

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    All aggressive species of dogs need to be round up an incinerated (post humane euthanasia). Too big a liability and danger to the public. No reason at all to own these types of dogs.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,283
    don't even get me going on those stupid animals. there have been countless pitbull maulings in my town in the last 10 years and yet the local shelters still pump them out to idiotic owners for pennies...

    I hope the girl lives and I hope her idiotic parents have good health insurance because they'll be spending a LOT of time with facial plastic doctors in the next 2 years...
    Not banned yet.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,938
    no reason to own one of these dogs other than to project something. Seriously, these parents should be arrested for child endangerment. With fear of prosecution the message might get across. If you leave your car parked with no brakes on and it rolls off and injures someone you get prosecuted. Isn't having a dog bred to fight and attack kinda negligent? Two Brossard pit bull owners to be charged with criminal negligence | Montreal Gazette

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    620
    People are talking like they are assault dogs or something. Owned a pit, have had plenty of German Shepherds.Name:  IMG_4153.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  23.4 KB

  8. #8
    30 mpdb
    Reputation: beeristasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    999
    I was able to find one that looks relatively harmless, unless you're a fan of better-than-terrible lyrics...


  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,283

    this story..

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    People are talking like they are assault dogs or something. Owned a pit, have had plenty of German Shepherds.Name:  IMG_4153.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  23.4 KB
    and countless others...flies in the face of this stupid meme. shelters pump out pit mixes with no information about previous history or breeding lines..and people think they can train out genetic aggression at the expense of their children's faces or lives.
    Not banned yet.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    and countless others...flies in the face of this stupid meme. shelters pump out pit mixes with no information about previous history or breeding lines..and people think they can train out genetic aggression at the expense of their children's faces or lives.
    genetics you say, interesting.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,624
    here are some statistics to shed some light on pits and rotts attacks

    In the 12-year period of 2005 through 2016, canines killed 392 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 65% (254) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.
    .....
    From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days
    .....
    Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population. [2016]
    source: https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2016.php

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,624
    a point of view from a poster in that article comment section:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Solesky View Post
    From the year 2000 to presently in 2017, Takata airbags caused 13 deaths and 180 injuries, from among 42 million affected USA cars on the road, activating the largest recall in US history. Since 2016 IKEA children furniture killed 8 toddlers, implementing measures recalling 17 million childrens chests of drawers.

    During this same time frame, pit bulls have caused 328 US deaths. From among the CDC estimated each year, 4.5 million dog bites in America -an incident rate greater than 1 every 15 seconds Just like the child in this attack, Pit Bulls cause multi thousands of Trauma level 1 injuries . In 2017 alone, pit bulls caused 28 US deaths, along with 2.5 Trauma level 1 wounded daily. Pit Bulls make up about 6 to 7 million of the estimated 86 to 90 million dogs in the USA.

    I wonder out loud why with Zero (0) public resistance, Takata airbags and IKEA furniture combined for (21) deaths in the last 18 years leading to two of the biggest recalls in USA history? How on the other hand, on far more grossly horrific numbers and (7) more deaths beyond the recalls combined totals, people advocate for pit bulls, a completely unnecessary risk in pet keeping ?

    Would pit bull kooks think it would be cute to have a Pit Bull sitting in the front seat riding in a car with faulty airbags? How about a Pit Bull with its bed placed at the foot of some IKEA furniture? No but they do not hesitate to have them around their own children

  13. #13
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    All aggressive species of dogs need to be round up an incinerated (post humane euthanasia). Too big a liability and danger to the public. No reason at all to own these types of dogs.
    Well, Thanks for posting ths dumbest thing I have read all day. You should really post more like this in PO.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    302
    Ive been chased by a loose Pit Bull in upstate ny while cycling and most recently a loose Rottweiler on a local ride. Have video of the rott and the town and police did squat. Even though the owner has previously been cited for a loose dog & the dog has a documented history of biting. See video for rott. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AnWvDp5KU

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    All aggressive species of dogs need to be round up an incinerated (post humane euthanasia). Too big a liability and danger to the public. No reason at all to own these types of dogs.
    All dogs have the potential to be aggressive. NO dog should be allowed around a 1 year old because NO dog is predictable.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  16. #16
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    18,276
    Man this thread is screaming for Doug Sloan!

    //Pepperidge farm remembers.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,624
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Well, Thanks for posting ths dumbest thing I have read all day. You should really post more like this in PO.
    Not the most tactile comment, but his idea is right. Pits should never have been bred and really have no place in the home and around people. It's no different than keeping a while jaguar as a pet, because they're not. The statistics on people killed by pits is pretty damning.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,615
    There is so much bullshit in this thread, I need a pooper scooper just to wade through it.

    There is nothing wrong with pits, there is nothing wrong with rotties. The issue comes down to breeding, and ownership. If you have a temperamental dog, regardless of breed, it is up to the owner to take appropriate action in keeping the dog under control.

    Training for both humans and their dogs are needed, else the dog will become a problem. Lets look at Great Danes, they were bred as guard dogs originally, and can have a mean streak, yet you don't hear about them eating people. Dalmatians, they are more temperamental than pitties and rotties combined, and really high strung, you don't see those in the news eating people. Why, because the people who own those animals take great care (for the most part), in training, and handling their family members (yes, pets are family members).

    The problem with pitties and rotties, is not the breed, or the dogs themselves, but the owners. They are breeds that are seemed to be liked by people who should never be allowed to own a stuffed animal, never mind a dog. In many of these attack cases (I am not saying all), the dogs were mistreated, or ignored and never trained or socialized. That is when they become problems. In Breeding is a huge problem as well, many pittie and rottie's come from backyard breeders and puppy mills, and in breeding, in any breed causes many problems, including aggression. It just happens that rotties and pitties are larger dogs that can do more damage, but even those little ones (I will hereby refer to little dogs as cat food as I owned a cat many times larger than some of those little yappy dogs) can be aggressive, they just don't have the capability to do any damage.

    Don't blame the dog, blame the owner, and to some extent the breeder.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,498
    I would wager that half the dogs (and cats) come from the pound, so they really don't have an 'owner'. Other 25% dogs, the owners don't have a clue or don't want to really 'train' their dogs, they just want to possess a 'dog' for other kinds of reasons (some of which are really not in the dogs best interest).
    When these dogs are large and kinda mean, that is a problem.
    BANNED

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,929
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    There is so much bullshit in this thread, I need a pooper scooper just to wade through it.

    There is nothing wrong with pits, there is nothing wrong with rotties. The issue comes down to breeding, and ownership. If you have a temperamental dog, regardless of breed, it is up to the owner to take appropriate action in keeping the dog under control.

    Training for both humans and their dogs are needed, else the dog will become a problem. Lets look at Great Danes, they were bred as guard dogs originally, and can have a mean streak, yet you don't hear about them eating people. Dalmatians, they are more temperamental than pitties and rotties combined, and really high strung, you don't see those in the news eating people. Why, because the people who own those animals take great care (for the most part), in training, and handling their family members (yes, pets are family members).

    The problem with pitties and rotties, is not the breed, or the dogs themselves, but the owners. They are breeds that are seemed to be liked by people who should never be allowed to own a stuffed animal, never mind a dog. In many of these attack cases (I am not saying all), the dogs were mistreated, or ignored and never trained or socialized. That is when they become problems. In Breeding is a huge problem as well, many pittie and rottie's come from backyard breeders and puppy mills, and in breeding, in any breed causes many problems, including aggression. It just happens that rotties and pitties are larger dogs that can do more damage, but even those little ones (I will hereby refer to little dogs as cat food as I owned a cat many times larger than some of those little yappy dogs) can be aggressive, they just don't have the capability to do any damage.

    Don't blame the dog, blame the owner, and to some extent the breeder.
    Good post. Any dog can be aggressive.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,929
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Not the most tactile comment, but his idea is right. Pits should never have been bred and really have no place in the home and around people. It's no different than keeping a while jaguar as a pet, because they're not. The statistics on people killed by pits is pretty damning.
    You are kidding, right?

    https://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseamars...Kr8#.owk98w5v1

    https://www.caninejournal.com/pit-bull-facts/
    It Is Not Okay to Minimize Pit Bull Bite Incidences

    With all of these statistics under your belt, it is important not to minimize pit bull bite incidences, but it is crucial to also draw attention to the fact that there are a some mitigating circumstances in these bite statistics. The truth is that people do get bitten by pit bulls, just as they get bitten by huskies and German shepherds. It is possible however to become a proponent for pit bull terriers while also respecting incidences of pit bull bites. Encourage individuals with reservations about pit bulls to understand that not all dogs within a certain classification are bred to fight, that upbringing and good breeding can result in a wide range of dispositions. Many people have experiences that have colored their opinion of one dog breed or another, but as a proponent for fair treatment of the pit bull it is important to make others aware of the fact that not all pit bulls are like the one that bit that boy.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,929
    Even those pits bred for fighting may actually be love bugs:



    https://moderndogmagazine.com/galler...re-now?slide=1

    Where the Former Michael Vick Dogs Are Now
    Since their rescue, they have gone on to find peace in the best ways they could.

    Sox and Hector
    Sox and Hector both received therapy dog certification, and spend their days at hospitals, nursing homes, and schools. Sox, who came into rescue as one of the worst of the low-response cases, has improved dramatically since being adopted by her foster family. Hector, with scars over his chest and legs bearing testament to his past life, was adopted into a home with a pack of six dogs, and has made many friends, canine and otherwise.
    Bonita
    Bonita, who was used in the dog-fighting ring as a bait dog for others to practice on, came into Best Friends rescue with scars, worn or broken teeth, and an instinct to flee from other dogs. She also had babesia, a blood-borne condition common in fighting dogs, and nerve damage in half of her face, so when she smiled nervously, it was crooked. She learned to crave warm laps to sleep in, and found a little bit of peace there. In 2008, she required dental surgery and never woke up from anesthesia.
    This is so very sad.

    Jonny Justice
    Jonny Justice was adopted by a foster family who discovered his love of children, and he participated in a program called Paws for Tales, where dogs provide a nonjudgmental audience for children struggling with reading. Jonny excelled at it, until the librarian banned Pit Bulls from the program after receiving some complaints from parents. Jonny and his family resigned from the program in protest, and volunteers from BAD RAP looked into state law, finding the breedbased discrimination unlawful. When they brought this to the librarians attention, however, the library withdrew from the Paws for Tales program.
    Zippy
    Zippy, a small, energetic dog,
    has found peace and companionship
    with the Hernandez
    family, spending her days
    romping and rolling around
    the floor with two fellow
    dogs and three young children
    under the age of 10.
    Of course if you click on the link you get to see their beautiful faces.

    https://www.thedodo.com/michael-vick...652308280.html

    Survivors Of Michael Vick's Fighting Ring Grow Old And Happy
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,615
    What many people don't realize, is that you don't just get a dog and you are done and wohoo we have a cute family member.

    No, it takes training, a lot of it, not just one and done. Too many people just buy or adopt a dog and then don't do anything, and then when the puppy is no longer a small fluffy cute fuzzball, they dump them at the shelter, or worse, just ignore them, and then they become anti social and aggressive. Then you have the people who just chain the dogs up outside, some in places where we have cold winters. Others let their children torment the animals.. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

    And for the most part, any dog can be rehabilitated, just look at the Vick dogs, look at Best Friends Animal Society and the work they do.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,929
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    What many people don't realize, is that you don't just get a dog and you are done and wohoo we have a cute family member.

    No, it takes training, a lot of it, not just one and done. Too many people just buy or adopt a dog and then don't do anything, and then when the puppy is no longer a small fluffy cute fuzzball, they dump them at the shelter, or worse, just ignore them, and then they become anti social and aggressive. Then you have the people who just chain the dogs up outside, some in places where we have cold winters. Others let their children torment the animals.. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

    And for the most part, any dog can be rehabilitated, just look at the Vick dogs, look at Best Friends Animal Society and the work they do.
    What some people also don't realize is that dogs are NOT human. They don't reason as we do and can react to what we see as "nothing" such as a scent or even posture or sounds that they see as a threat.

    We don't know what happened immediately before that dog attacked that child, but there was something that set it off.

    Some dogs require more exercise and/or "jobs" to keep them happy and it's up to the owners that their dogs are kept well exercised, not locked up or chained up.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  25. #25
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,360
    what if we removed their teeth?

    another idea is some kind of mandatory 'clockwork orange' training.

    (this is the lounge.)
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Loose Pitbull chasing cyclist in Mooers, NY Friday May 6, 2016
    By FasterStronger in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 01:12 AM
  2. How we keep the French Bulldog and Pitbull Friendly
    By Ridgetop in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  3. Another viscious pitbull thread
    By bmxhacksaw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
  5. Forget the PitBull, beware of BigBill
    By OldEndicottHiway in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.