37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

6 16.22%
  • no

31 83.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

poll time......buzzed or hit?

seriously, how many of you who have been hit, buzzed or nearly hit, ride with some form of rear view mirror? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Mehpic
    2" from being hit in the back of the head from a delivery van mirror. 2" from the other end of my bars was a concrete barrier.

that kept me off the road for about 3 months.

pole? we dont need no skinking pole
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I ride with a mirror but it is more to keep track of my wife then look for cars.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

ToF
    yup
    I have been mildly hit two times, both "right hook" situations. No serious injury but just a little faster both times and I would have been a stain on the road. I ride with a mirror on my commuter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Barry1021 turned me onto Sprintech mirrors. They are on all my bikes, and my wife's too.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=270

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    Barry1021 turned me onto Sprintech mirrors. They are on all my bikes, and my wife's too.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=270

do you hit your knees on them????

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    That was my idea
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Nov 2007
    How would a mirror keep you from getting hit?
    All my near collisions were when some asshat pulled out in front of me.
    Even if you saw them coming from behind what would you do?

On second thought, I should get a mirror.
    There is another biker who likes to get right in my blind spot and shout HI!
    It always startles me.
    He thinks it's funny.
    If I saw him coming I could hook the SOB.
    Pass me now and avoid the rush.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Buzzed more times than I can count, but never hit. At least, not yet.

Frog Whisperer
    frankly, I like seeing behind me.....I don't like surprises on the road...period

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I live in L.A. I can't get down my apartment stairs without getting buzzed. Seriously, if I'm commuting through the city it happens at least once per ride. (Note: I'm also pretty aggressive with my positioning, which tends to really piss off the cagers.)

And that's not including tailgating, honking, yelling, etc.

Yeah. Riding here is joyful.

I've also been hit by someone who tried to buzz me but got too close. That was awesome. Especially the part where I chased him down to a KFC drive-thru and L.A.'s finest refused to give him so much as a warning. In fact, one of the moron cops said I should have been on the sidewalk. I can't remember if that was before or after I saw him laughing and joking with the guy who struck me.

But I digress ...

I've been hit a few other times but that was the only time from someone f-ing with me.

A mirror is useless. I generally stay abreast of what's behind me and I don't move from my line without looking first. Plus they look dorky unless you're 70 years-old and riding a recumbent.

I've also noticed that riders with mirrors rarely seem to use them because they won't move an inch to the right if I'm coming up behind them trying to pass on the left.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I've been hit 3 times and doored once. All three times I was hit was because the vehicle turned left in front of me. Mirror wouldn't have done a thing in any of these situations.

I've been buzzed a number of times in the past year. Oh yeah, someone reached out and punched me once too.

I don't have much of an interest in a mirror, but the stretch of road where I have been harrassed the most over the last couple of years does make me nervous now.

Bacon!
    Wife got blown off the road by a gravel hauling 18 wheeler last year. He was watching her in the rearview mirror and just followed his gaze until she had to ditch into the bushes. I've been yelled at a lot by people (mainly kids) and had a jerkoff (Nevada license plate GHSTWN) in a black GM SUV pull up behind me and hold his horn down and then try to cut me off. But that's been the worst of it so far anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    do you hit your knees on them????
    No, not in normal pedaling. I have knocked them when starting from a stop light, but not on the road.

They are vibration free, the view isn't great, but I can't look over my left shoulder (from being hit), so they really help when I have to turn left.

Great for keep track of whomever is behind you, I played with Barry1021 for miles like that, letting him almost gap and then riding ahead. Yes, I'm a jerk.

I wouldn't ride without them from a safety standpoint.

I find them more useful in the city, where traffic isn't coming up behind you at 60mph, but I do find myself looking in them before I grab a water bottle or anything out of my back pocket even on the country roads.

Try one or two, the discount code for Universal is VIP10 for 10% off a $100 order. Check there specials. I bought some Shimano Ultegra pedals on the cheap in the last order to hit the discount level. If you go crazy, VIP15 gives you 15% off a $300 order.

Treefortbikes has them as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Hit once, in San Diego by a guy turning right in an intersection. Caught me up under the car a little, thankfully no serious injuries. Guy didn't even stop and no one bothered to stop and check to see if I was OK. I love California.

Buzzed most definitely on purpose not too long ago, by a P/U hauling a camper. Came within an inch or two of running me into oblivion. Almost crapped my pants. I still want to get my hands around that man's neck and squeeze until the juices are running down my fingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Hit once, in San Diego by a guy turning right in an intersection. Caught me up under the car a little, thankffully no serious injuries. Guy didn't even stop and no one bothered to stop and check to see if I was OK. I love California.

Buzzed most definitely on purpose not too long ago, by a P/U hauling a camper. Came within an inch or two of running me into oblivion. Almost crapped my pants. I still want to get my hands around that man's neck and squeeze until the juices are running down my fingers.
    Like I said in another thread, don't kill them, just maim them and make sure they can't procreate.

It's not TOO Cold!
    I've been hit twice, once as a kid nad hte other time in college, commuting to class. Both were left crosses, first time, driver hit the brakes and just bumped me, no harm, no foul. 2nd time I went OTB and landed on the hood of a Honda Civic, then she realized I was there. Helmut pulled the windshield wipers off hte car and I left a nice Sledge print in the hood. I walked my crumpled bike to class and they paid to have it fixed. I've had countless sodas and such thrown at me, all missed and been yelled at and honked at tons too. My favorite is to catch the offender at a red light or parking lot (many were high schoold kids when I was in college) and watch them soil themselves as I TAP on they're window/hood. It's only fair
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

waterproof*
    yes. after a few hits, I am usually pretty buzzed.

Banned forever.....or not
    Sometimes it's better to be hit from behind, than to look like a bicycler.

Case in point. Last Saturday. Sure, I could have avoided being hit, if I had a mirror, but at what cost? .....Some things are worse than death.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    seriously, how many of you who have been hit, buzzed or nearly hit, ride with some form of rear view mirror? Inquiring minds want to know.
    nah, no mirrors. They fall into the "riding with earphones" category, atmo. By the time you notice, its too late. Or you never did notice and its too late. The closest calls I've had from behind have been Metro buses, which are easy to catch at the next light and #$%&! the driver out

the only serious wreck I've been in was a car pulling out in front of me (in the bike lane) from a blind spot. I never hit the brakes. That one hurt.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    nah, no mirrors. They fall into the "riding with earphones" category, atmo. By the time you notice, its too late. Or you never did notice and its too late.

I gotta disagree, I regularly spot my wife coming up behind me on my bike a good 1/4 mile back, and she drives a little silver sub-compact, before she even knows it's me.
    I use my mirror all the time and have trained myself to keep it in my peripheral vision all the time.

I know it isn't going to save my a$$ every time, but it has more than a few. Keep in mind I do NOT ride in a metropolitan area, rural almost exclusively. There is little traffic, if any on most roads.

In town, the morons try to mow me down at every opportunity.
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 06-13-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Frog Whisperer
    the view isn't great, but I can't look over my left shoulder (from being hit), so they really help when I have to turn left.
    I use a Cycle Aware that clips on my sunglasses......I can't look over my left shoulder because I am old and have abused the snot out my body for too long

I also see that mirrors out number the not 4 to 1 at this point!

toomanybikes
    I don't ride with mirrors and I don't ride with earphones or anything else that will distract me.

I rely on my five good senses, especially my ears.

I got buzzed but good yesterday, the mirror would have made no difference.

FWIW I had that "feeling" right before I got hit, all the little hairs on the back of my back standing up.

Too late.

Second time in my riding career I've been really buzzed.

I've had stuff thrown at me, it all missed.

Someone (3 redneck hicks in a jacked up short box pick-up outside Kannaskis) tried to run me one time but I heard them coming and got the h$ll off the road.

I've been hit once and doored once.

Mirrors would not have helped me, or saved me, in any case.

I should probably quit riding.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    I don't ride with mirrors and I don't ride with earphones or anything else that will distract me.

I rely on my five good senses, especially my ears.

I got buzzed but good yesterday, the mirror would have made no difference.

FWIW I had that "feeling" right before I got hit, all the little hairs on the back of my back standing up.

Too late.

Second time in my riding career I've been really buzzed.

I've had stuff thrown at me, it all missed.

Someone (3 redneck hicks in a jacked up short box pick-up outside Kannaskis) tried to run me one time but I heard them coming and got the h$ll off the road.

I've been hit once and doored once.

Mirrors would not have helped me, or saved me, in any case.

I don't have 5 good senses left, I'm down to 2 or 3......

And no way you should quit riding..

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by >>>>toomanybikes<<<<<

but then you'd have to change your name then too!
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast