Misfit Toy

Power Paint Roller

Has anyone used one of these? Do they work?

Wagner 0271008 Cordless TurboRoll Paint Roller - Amazon.com
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the manual version. Used it once and it's been in the box since.
    Does it work.? Yes.
    But I didn't find it any better or faster than a regular roller and paint tray. It definitely takes longer to clean up.
    Plus you can only use their rollers since it needs interior holes for the paint to pass through. So you're limited on the roller quality and types of naps you can use.

Fecal indicator
    haven't tried the roller, but have used a Wagner Power Painter for heavily textured ceilings...

it worked, but you have to thin the latex paint which is a royal PITA. the nozzles wear out quickly, and clean-up was fairly time-consuming.

would have been more cost-effective to just rent an airless sprayer.

I'm guessing the roller option doesn't have many (or any) benefits over the old-school version.
    eff all y'all...

half-fast
    What TLG said.

Misfit Toy
    Guess I'll stick with a regular roller, less angst.

Tanksall!
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Guess I'll stick with a regular roller, less angst.

Tanksall!
    Probably the best thing, from everything I have heard.

But are you doing ceilings? In that case, it might be worth it to lower the time on that part of the job, depending on how much you hate painting ceilings.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Take a pass on that. Almost impossible to clean w/out creating a huge mess. You'll spend more time dialing it in and getting your game tight before there are any time saving benefits.
    I had second hand experience with a friend trying one that his wife bought him as a gift.
    I prefer the lesser quality brushes, rollers and a plastic insert paint tray. Use one time, start over with fresh stuff. Plenty on cheapo paint gear at the bigbox stores.

We have met the enemy...
    I used one of the Wagner powered ones that has a pickup for a 1 gallon can--used it for the first couple of houses until it packed it in.

Like the stick version, it was a pain to clean up, but I found it pretty efficient for rolling a lot of paint.

I never saw the point of the stick version....

Airless sprayers IME are not the tool of choice for amateurs either--they work best for empty new houses, before the trim goes up--and you need to know how to mask quickly and well. People forget that you still have to back-roll on new drywall to get a new job--and they are truly a pain to clean up.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Spicy Dumpling
    We had the manual version and it worked ok. It's for latex only. The Missus didn't get the memo and used oil paint. Impossible to clean, basically ruined. But TLG is right, not really worth the effort.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Tanksall!
    And tanks for asking the question, Snap. I lurned somthin today - stay away from power rollers.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.