Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gazing from the shadows

Praise at work you believe 100%?

I hear praise, but I don't always believe it fully. People suck up, that's one reason to take such things with a grain of salt. But once in a while....

So I was lecturing to a low level class (lots of people taking it to meet requirements, not majors interested in the subject), and with 5 minutes left in class I said, "One final thing to wrap it up before we go...." And a woman said pretty loudly, "Whoh!" and looked at the clock.

I consider that high, and authentic praise. When they lose track of time, I know I am firing on all cylinders.

So, what about you? When have you gotten thumbs up at work, and known it was totally honest and authentic praise?

Get to bragging!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    And a woman said pretty loudly, "Whoh!" and looked at the clock.

I consider that high, and authentic praise. When they lose track of time,
    Maybe she dozed off and just woke up.

Eddy 53:11
    It was great in college when that stuff happened as a student. Hard to do I believe.
    Good on ya! Remember the good stuff in life, forget the bad.
    Live vicariously through yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't been praised at work in years. My department is facing cuts and my boss praised us all, saying we're all doing a great job. I'm more suspicious than anything.

Re: Praise at work you believe 100%?

Here on RBR I usually feel like a slimy shop owner out to take people's money and rip them off. At the shop, however, I frequently am reminded of why I do this. For instance, one woman drives from Martinsville Illinois to have me work on her bikes. That's about 2 hours away.

Several new customers have come in saying that a friend of theirs told them this was the best shop in the state or that I was the best bike mechanic in the state. Not sure I believe that one, but I AM completely OCD and won't let a bike leave until it's as perfect as their budget will allow. Even to the point of "donating" parts sometimes.

Those are the things I try to remember, rather than the anti-LBS people I've run into here.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

"El Bwana"
    At the last two gigs, I was always uncomfortable when my direct bosses started complementing me. I got the feeling something was up. In both instances I was right.

Remember, even paranoids have enemies.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the work world ... I've come across two types of praise:

1) The type PDex describes ... when the boss starts talking you up, the crap is about to hit the fan. I've seen it first hand and every time I was right.

2) Employees sucking up to their boss then dissing them when they are gone.

Basically ... those doing the sucking and those being sucked up to!

I don't suck up and can't stand being sucked up to ... so I get passed over for promotions and or get the boot when lay off's come around due to budget cuts. If that's how you get to the top ... I guess, I was born to be a bottom feeder. What's funny when this happens is the company will keep the "Suck Up" on because they have promised that they want to be with the company as a career, not a job ... then leave as soon as they are offered a better position elsewhere, which usually takes place in the next 6 months. Then they are left training new employees because they got rid of the workers that did a good job but didn't kiss their butts and would have actually stuck around.

As for your student ... could be a good thing. If somebody is either interested in your lecture or in the topic in general ... they will pay attention and many times lose track of time, which is why it's important to go into a field you enjoy. They also could have been thinking about all the other stuff they need to do that day, a party that evening, an argument they had with somebody, meeting up with a significant other later or after the class, etc.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Don't praise me. Pay me a bonus if you want to appreciate my work.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Don't praise me. Pay me a bonus if you want to appreciate my work.
    Yup. I'm a big boy. If you appreciate me, show me the money. I don't need a pat on the back. I also know when I F' something up and take responsibility.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Just last week I got my 5% pay increase for the 8th year in a row. That is praise I can believe in.

waterproof*
    Praise from the bosses is nice; in my case I like and trust everyone I work with so I appreciate it, and we're all a very positive group (but we get plenty of constructive... coaching.. as well).

Best thing for me though is seeing the client satisfaction report come back after I've completed an engagement. Things the client will say to our sales guy about me and my team, that's mostly unvarnished truth and it's really gratifying to hear some of the feedback. Keeps me going on the rough days.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yup. I'm a big boy. If you appreciate me, show me the money. I don't need a pat on the back.
    Don't go into social services ... there is no money to show you and a pat on the back is all they understand!
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Fecal indicator
    we don't do 'praise' here...

we do 'blame assessment' instead.
    eff all y'all...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Don't go into social services ... there is no money to show you and a pat on the back is all they understand!
    Social services I thought we were talking about jobs... not volunteer work.

Cheese is my copilot
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    and with 5 minutes left in class I said, "One final thing to wrap it up before we go...." And a woman said pretty loudly, "Whoh!" and looked at the clock.
    She probably thought you were done and was checking the clock to see how much longer she had to listen. ;)
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Of course cash is king, but a nice comment or constructive assessment of one's work from someone you respect can be pretty good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    Of course cash is king, but a nice comment or constructive assessment of one's work from someone you respect can be pretty good.
    Agreed, it never hurts to have advocates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've received 5-10% raises every year for the past 7...always nice.
    I get a lot of verbal thank you's, free lunches, etc. from coworkers who are appreciative of my efforts. They're very busy physicians so I often make their lives quite a bit easier through reduction of research related administration duties, publication efforts, etc.

free lunch is good.
    Not banned yet.

half-fast
    I make tangible things. So there is more opportunity for actual words which hold meaning.

That sword can cut both ways, though, and there are times that the maker of tangible things gets an earful because of noise, dirt, that's not what I thought it would look like, etc.

Just the same, I am with the crowd that likes the envelope with some extra bucks.

A while back I got one a those.

It was nice.

And tangible.

I wish we had some tangerines.

And this makes me wonder: Do they still have a puzzle named tanagrams?
    I shall check and report back.

half-fast
    So they do.

ABCya! Tangram Puzzles for Kids

Mr. Weaver, wherever you are, you were a pretty cool first grade teacher.

And that's real praise right there, for them what are curious-like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Praise at work you believe 100%?

I am a firm believer in the fact that happy employees work harder and praise goes a long ways to having a happy employee. I have other managers tell me that they should just be happy to have a job but I truly don't want people working for me that don't want to be there and don't enjoy coming to work. Maybe that is why we are starting to see patient flow and production increase every month, patient wait times down and overtime down. People need to know that they are doing a good job and shouldn't be there just for a paycheck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akamp View Post
    People need to know that they are doing a good job and shouldn't be there just for a paycheck.
    The problem with this line of thinking is that without the paycheck ... they "Wouldn't" be there!

It's great if people love what they are doing, but if they are not getting paid to be there ... it's called volunteering. People do that for the things they actually like to do ... generally, when they don't work in a profession they enjoy. They work to pay the bills ... if nobody had to pay bills, then it would be all about praise.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I did a postdoc at UC Santa Barbara. Sometimes I'd teach Freshman Chemistry when my boss was out of town. There was a very cute blonde surfer girl in the front row, wearing a miniskirt with no panties.

Beat that QQQ!
    Last edited by robwh9; 04-18-2013 at 11:28 PM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by robwh9 View Post
    I did a postdoc at UC Santa Barbara. Sometimes I'd teach Freshman Chemistry when my boss was out of town. There was a very cute blonde surfer girl in the front row, wearing a miniskirt with no panties.
    Nice story.

Singular.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Things the client will say to our sales guy about me and my team, that's mostly unvarnished truth and it's really gratifying to hear some of the feedback.
    That's usually more believable to me as well, when it's people saying things to others. It's an extra thing, going out of their way a bit, like Platy's 2 hour drive customer.

BTW, to others, I know how much BS goes on, which is why I asked for the 100% belief level examples. I was curious what makes people put aside their (rightly held, imo) skepticism on those rare occasions when something breaks through the cynicism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast