Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: as promised

Frog Whisperer

as promised

Paredown, as promised, this is where I stand on the woodshed project, All I need to do is put a roof on it. That's right, after heating almost exclusively with wood for 33 years, I am finally building a proper woodshed, lots of of ventilation and a steel roof. I need to put the roof on it, I'd say about 2 weeks, I started moving the wood into the framework because that needs to be done too, I has two compartments, each will hold about 4 1/2 cords of wood, the plan is, one for the current season, one for the next. I am absolutely done with tarps, I am done with 50 pound chunks of ice coming off the top on me , I am sick of 40 pound logs I can't see crashing down on me!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as promised-woodshededit.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Crusty AF
    Looks good. And reminds me that I need to build a stand to keep my logs off the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Looks good. And reminds me that I need to build a stand to keep my logs off the ground.
    I built like 5 pair of "book ends" out of 2x4 and plywood corner plates, lasted for years, I also have an old broken 24 foot aluminum ladder that I cut up t put on the ground, it's the best!

Satanic Watch Winder
    Do you ever ride anymore?
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. I made one back in '11, but it only holds 3 3/8 cords. Yours is much larger. It does make a quality of life improvement as you've noted. I set mine up to store some lumber up above in the rafters accessible from the end.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    Do you ever ride anymore?
    I do, I have about 350 for the year so far. I actually tried to ride yesterday but by the time I got out to the county road the wind had kicked up to over 20 and that just isn't fun. I got a good 27 miles in Monday, running out of daylight hours...

We have met the enemy...
    Wow that looks great! Nice to have the concrete pad to start.

Looks like the outboard posts are set into the ground?

I'm dreaming about a combined outdoor shed and lean-to wood shed that is connected (tie the shed roof for the wood side to the structure of the shed) and have been looking for plans/ideas. I may just have to dig in and wing it.

I need better storage--and of course more wood, since I burned all but the dregs this year even though it wasn't that cold (my lovely wife has been home more, so that means warmer temps, plus I was recuperating through December-March, which also meant we kept it a little warmer than usual).
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    I've been using standard pallets and cross stack on the ends (although I like T0G's bookend idea). This past year, I finally got smarter, and ran 2 2x6 Pressure treated laying on the gravel, and then pallets on top of them; otherwise the pallets rot pretty fast from the damp.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Seat's not level
    where is the underground tunnel to get the wood into the house :-)
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Damn, your wood pile looks bigger than the footprint of our house.

John finally threw away the wood pile tarp, it was a shred of its old self. I'll show him this project and see what happens!

Crusty AF
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I've been using standard pallets and cross stack on the ends (although I like T0G's bookend idea). This past year, I finally got smarter, and ran 2 2x6 Pressure treated laying on the gravel, and then pallets on top of them; otherwise the pallets rot pretty fast from the damp.
    I don't have much of a pile, as I get logs as they are available for free from a local tree business, and our fireplace is for entertainment and not heating. Right now it's probably about 4' wide by 2' high, and one log deep. I've just left it sitting on my gravel driveway for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

half-fast
    Nice woodshed.

I like watching your projects.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I built a woodshed last summer after not having one for 15 years. Covering firewood with tarps sucks, and that's how I've had to do it for most of my wood burning life. Never again!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    I built a woodshed last summer after not having one for 15 years. Covering firewood with tarps sucks, and that's how I've had to do it for most of my wood burning life. Never again!
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! except I have been using traps for 36 years!!!!!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

got all my cut/split wood moved now, about 3.5 cords
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as promised-woodshed.jpg  

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! except I have been using traps for 36 years!!!!!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

got all my cut/split wood moved now, about 3.5 cords
    Hurry up with that roof! The wasps and sparrows need a good home.

You know you are getting to the point where all you need is a good copper still and you will be all set.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Paredown, as promised, this is where I stand on the woodshed project, All I need to do is put a roof on it. That's right, after heating almost exclusively with wood for 33 years, I am finally building a proper woodshed, lots of of ventilation and a steel roof. I need to put the roof on it, I'd say about 2 weeks, I started moving the wood into the framework because that needs to be done too, I has two compartments, each will hold about 4 1/2 cords of wood, the plan is, one for the current season, one for the next. I am absolutely done with tarps, I am done with 50 pound chunks of ice coming off the top on me , I am sick of 40 pound logs I can't see crashing down on me!!!

See, if you dried out your "wood" it would not only "burn" easier....it would "weigh" a great deal "less".
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tarps suck. They break down over time and leave little plastic ribbons all through your stack. For years I've stacked wood on pallets to keep it off the ground, then covered it with plywood sheets. Allows plenty of airflow, yet keeps the rain and snow off. Then when we built our new garage a couple of years ago, we put a bonus carport on the end, and the open wall is perfect for stacking wood. It's out of the weather under an overhanging roof, and it makes a nice wood wall next to my truck. Holds about a cord and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Tarps suck. They break down over time and leave little plastic ribbons all through your stack. For years I've stacked wood on pallets to keep it off the ground, then covered it with plywood sheets. Allows plenty of airflow, yet keeps the rain and snow off. Then when we built our new garage a couple of years ago, we put a bonus carport on the end, and the open wall is perfect for stacking wood. It's out of the weather under an overhanging roof, and it makes a nice wood wall next to my truck. Holds about a cord and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice idea on the plywood. This year I tried some 15# Felt--it was ok, but then started cracking in the cold as you tried to fish wood out...
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    See, if you dried out your "wood" it would not only "burn" easier....it would "weigh" a great deal "less".
    40 pounds DRY is not a huge oak log, I only burn dry wood, so there is that

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    I burn 4 or 5 cords a year, over 36 years, that would have been enough plywood to build a woodshed!
    squared up the roof, started the "cross-pieces" and got the first 12 foot sheet of steel up!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as promised-20170424_193505.jpg  
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 04-24-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    there ill be a short section of roof pitched down at the front

Frog Whisperer
    5 sheets to the wind..........

15 feet of 21 under roof, I officially have almost a years worth of wood under the roof!

This turned into a bigger project than I thought. Note the dry concrete under the roof!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as promised-20170428_164942.jpg   as promised-20170428_165042.jpg  

We have met the enemy...
    Looking good! Does the steel roofing use those little through bolts with the squishy washers?
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer

Almost done, officially UNDER ROOF

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Looking good! Does the steel roofing use those little through bolts with the squishy washers?
    self drilling screws with the gaskets

almost done...the picture with the template for the little front rafter is ...just that (18 inch steel on face all the way across)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as promised-1.jpg   as promised-2.jpg   as promised-3.jpg  

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    self drilling screws with the gaskets

almost done...the picture with the template for the little front rafter is ...just that (18 inch steel on face all the way across)

With the roof, grill and lawn chair you are just about in livable condition for when the wifey sends you to the woodshed.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast