Thread: Quality Banksy

gazing from the shadows

Quality Banksy

Seriously, this is QUALITY Banksy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/b...ld-1-4-n917326

LONDON Art collectors were left stunned on Friday evening when a Banksy painting appeared to self-destruct just moments after it was sold at an auction, in a prank apparently orchestrated by the elusive street artist.

The spray-painted canvas "Girl With Balloon" slid through a shredder embedded in the frame, emerging out the bottom in strips as the final hammer signaled an end to the evening, according to international auction house Sotheby's. It had sold for $1.4 million, matching a record for the artist first set in 2008.

Banksy posted an image of the scene from the auction house on his Instagram account with the caption "Going, going, gone..."
    As the article says at the end, it might have gone up in value after being shredded in this particular way.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not a true Buddhist but I honestly try not to "want", so I see the painting in the context of space time as ephemeral anyway, and since it appears that the shredding is part of the artist's intent, it's value, for those who thought it had value to begin with, will endure.

Now 'scuz as I start squeezing this lump of coal.

Last edited by Akirasho; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:36 PM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I would assume that there was somebody in the audience who had a remote to trigger the device. Maybe Banksy himself?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    That painting was created in 2006.

I have questions..

How was the frame activated?

Who or what activated it?

How is it possible that no one noticed this mechanism in the frame in the 12 years since it was created?

What the what???
    Have you seen the video?

It shows a little of how the mechanism was hidden in the frame.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Have you seen the video?
    Yep. If one of the points of art is to affect people, those in the room got that for sure.

A place that sells Banksy says the value might be close to double after the shredding, btw.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I can't figure out if this guy is the ultimate troll, if his purpose was to combine performance and static art, or if he's just a sorehead that can't stand the idea of someone else profiting from his work.

Regardless, it was brilliant. And I suspect there are thousands of people combing surveillance videos right now, trying to figure out who pushed the button.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I can't figure out if this guy is the ultimate troll, if his purpose was to combine performance and static art, or if he's just a sorehead that can't stand the idea of someone else profiting from his work.

Regardless, it was brilliant. And I suspect there are thousands of people combing surveillance videos right now, trying to figure out who pushed the button.
    He's pretty strongly anti-capitalist, so this fits perfectly with his overall theme.

Troll, definitely he trolls. Sold his work in NYC on the street for a few bucks, and IIRC three people bought all day. They hit the jackpot.

Misfit Toy
    I loved this, thought it was brilliant.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass