Proud luddite

Question about a BMX bike

I really know nothing about BMX bikes....I don't know the better makes from the lesser ones, I don't know which components or wheels are considered "nice".....I really know nothing other than I see lots of teenaged boys riding them around with the saddles pointing up at such an angle that it makes me fear for their ability to father children in future years. But having said all of that, my co-worker's teen boy is getting one of these from a family member and she wanted to know if it's "any good". All I can say is that the ones I thought were pretty nice were more in the $250 - $300 range, and this one is closer to $700.....but as we all know, a high price tag doesn't always equate to a better bike.

So for those of you BMXers in the know, what do you think about this bike?

2012 Fit Inman Signature Bike

No hero that's understood
    Seats not level and too low.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Chainring, chain and rear cog are on the wrong side of the bike. I wouldn't trust that manufacturer. They obviously have no idea what they're doing.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I.

I think you could do just as well for $300. DaimondBack Lucky 24.

half-fast
    I know two things about bmx bikes.

1. The boy had two Haros, based on (i think) who the cool biker guy was.

b. And those guys that ride flatland are really something to watch. Me and the boy went to the x games when he was about 12.

iiv. So I guess I know a third thing, which is that bike has no gyro.

5-1. Which is the thing that enables you to plant the front and whip the tail around.

half-fast
    that pk ripper makes me sad, because it will never go off any sweet jumps.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Burn View Post
    Chainring, chain and rear cog are on the wrong side of the bike. I wouldn't trust that manufacturer. They obviously have no idea what they're doing.
    Hmmm.....I didn't notice that until now. Is that just an inverted image or do BMX bikes typically have the drive train on the left side? I really know nothing about these bikes.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Hmmm.....I didn't notice that until now. Is that just an inverted image or do BMX bikes typically have the drive train on the left side? I really know nothing about these bikes.
    I know nothing about them either but the site lists left hand drive in the specs so its legit.

Sticky Valentine
    I used to race BMX back in jr high and high school. Fit bike company was coming out just as I was going out. I think that unless the kid is a serious street rider he probably doesn't need anything near that bike.

If he's looking for something to ride around town on and look cool with he can get that done for a lot less than $700.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio View Post
    I used to race BMX back in jr high and high school. Fit bike company was coming out just as I was going out. I think that unless the kid is a serious street rider he probably doesn't need anything near that bike.

If he's looking for something to ride around town on and look cool with he can get that done for a lot less than $700.

joe
    Sounds like he's pretty serious about his riding, maybe to the point where he will get competitive. He's just 14 y.o. now, but he does go to the BMX park frequently. It's a gift anyway, and I wouldn't turn it down if I were in his shoes. He'll definitely have to be very careful with that bike though, to keep it from getting ripped off. I know how kids just leave their BMX bikes parked in front of stores & restaurants, or maybe off to the side when they're taking a break at the BMX park. Someone will steal that thing for sure if he's not careful.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    That's a "lefty". Not common, but not unheard of. That seems a bit overpriced to me.

I want a Road Bike :)
    what does this teen will use the bike for?

bmx racing, street, dirt jumps, flatland

fit, wethepeople, S&M, stolen, verde... lots of good bmx brands..

the only thing I know about street bmx bikes is avoid hi-tensile steel go with full CroMo bikes...
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I vote for PK Ripper or Supergoose

I'll second the PK Ripper, but would rather he had a good old Haro Sport for 1/2 that.

Left side drive is newer. Bike has a bunch of decent parts (odyssey) mixed in with a bunch of mediocre stuff (cockpit, rear brake, etc.)

$700 is a steep. Get on craigslist, all the kids that buy bikes like that dump them all the time on their for less than half that in my perusing through the bike listings. And to go along with it not getting stolen, a bike that is beat up would be better if he's going to be careless with it. There is the fact that he'll have a chance to get his drivers license in ~ 2 years, so the bike will get parked/sold too.
    I have a perpetual case of bike parts blue-balls - PlatyPius

I really know nothing about BMX bikes....I don't know the better makes from the lesser ones, I don't know which components or wheels are considered "nice".....I really know nothing other than I see lots of teenaged boys riding them around with the saddles pointing up at such an angle that it makes me fear for their ability to father children in future years. But having said all of that, my co-worker's teen boy is getting one of these from a family member and she wanted to know if it's "any good". All I can say is that the ones I thought were pretty nice were more in the $250 - $300 range, and this one is closer to $700.....but as we all know, a high price tag doesn't always equate to a better bike.

Those are "Park" or Freestyle bikes, not BMX.
    The cool kids ride Fit, Eastern, Stolen, We The People, or Kink.

$250 gets you a crappy Kink Kurb that might last one year of park-style jumping. $400-$800 is the sweet spot in park-type bikes.

Look at the Stolen Score.

2012 Stolen Score Bike at Danscomp
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray