Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

Quit picking at it, it will never heal

Yeah, we decided that with the new floor, we needed a new door. We decided just to replace the slab. We ordered it with no hinges, mortises, holes, and knowledge that it was 3/8 of an inch too tall. Yeah, special order, no return, no cancel. Turns out that trimming the 3/8 inch off a fiberglass door was the easy part. Used a router and 3/4" carbide bit, took 4 passes. The composition core was tough as hell. Mortising for the hinges in solid vinyl with a chisel was not a lot of fun! I ordered a new lock set (mostly because it comes with a template for drilling).

Should have the brass lock set on Tuesday (matches 3 others and will be keyed the same).
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Do you eat an Energizer Bunny for breakfast every morning?
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Do you eat an Energizer Bunny for breakfast every morning?
    No sir, but I do drink good strong coffee. I also rode 26 miles yesterday (after we installed the door) and 36 today (never saw under 90 degrees)

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    a fiberglass door was the easy part. Used a router and 3/4" carbide bit, took 4 passes. The composition core was tough as hell.
    Must be a racing door... Lighter and stiffer for that high performance when called for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Since you already have the router, why didn't you pick up a hinge jig.. they actually have one at Home Depot or Lowes (I think it's cheap plastic and about $30, but it's not like you will use it too often. It is what I did on the door frame side that I repaired (by repaired.. completely replaced because the old one was split and falling apart and beyond repair).

Sweet Potato Kugel

Carbon Fiber Biometric Scanner Door

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Since you already have the router, why didn't you pick up a hinge jig.. they actually have one at Home Depot or Lowes (I think it's cheap plastic and about $30, but it's not like you will use it too often. It is what I did on the door frame side that I repaired (by repaired.. completely replaced because the old one was split and falling apart and beyond repair).
    I actually had one that I borrowed from a friend but I was not happy with the collar for the base of the router. I mean it wasn't difficult, just stressful. At any rate, it's done now.

Boobies!
    You da man!

Not many people want to fit a new slab to an existing frame...
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    You da man!

New door/pre-hung with side lite, would have been close to 3K. Besides, it REALLY would have been best done before the floor went in! This slab, with triple glazed 1/2 lite, leaded, was 250 as ordered. We knew we would have to trim it down.

Frog Whisperer
    You da man!

I don't remember saying that I wanted to. It was her idea.

Frog Whisperer
    Hey Pare' , scooped this up at the lumber yard today cheaper than a single 2 1/8 inch hole saw. Adjustable back set and for door thickness!

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

half-fast
    I learned a way to use router to do the bulk of the chisel work... probably 29 years ago... ask if interested.

This weekend was full of projects...
    150 plus ft of fence, strawberry cages, and some other ****...

Pix later.

Some bbq and home made wine.

Quit picking at it, it will never heal-56047e4f-3311-4840-8b60-9833388f94cc.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	56047E4F-3311-4840-8B60-9833388F94CC.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	322759

half-fast
    The sideways picture thing on here drives me crazy.

The projects never end. We bought the house last year. THE house. The projects never end.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    The sideways picture thing on here drives me crazy.

The projects never end. We bought the house last year. THE house. The projects never end.
    Tell me about it brother, we started building this place in 1982....Still ain't done, well done and remodel and done and remodel....

I have had 4 contractors :
    1.) excavating
    2.) plumbing
    a.) well
    b.) septic
    3.) guy who blocked out the 40 foot chimney.

Other than that, we handled every stick and every stone.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I can't help it. The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the song "White Fang You're a Mean Dog" sung by Soupy Sales. Halfway through, Fang goes into a wild guitar solo. Soupy shouts "Don't pick it it'll never heal!" White Fang responds with a nasty "Oh raaa o rilll." And yes, I still have the 45.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I can't help it. The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the song "White Fang You're a Mean Dog" sung by Soupy Sales. Halfway through, Fang goes into a wild guitar solo. Soupy shouts "Don't pick it it'll never heal!" White Fang responds with a nasty "Oh raaa o rilll." And yes, I still have the 45.
    And now.... It is stuck in my head!

Last edited by Touch0Gray; 05-29-2018 at 03:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    My weekend was more bathroom fun.. no.. not pooping.. although I did have to retrieve random crap my kid was throwing into the toilet flange when I was not looking.. sometimes I want to murder the 6 year old.. And as I am sure some of you are aware.. tiling sucks.. pick large format tiles or sheets of tiles.. individual 3 by 6" tiles are a pain in the ass, and tile saws are loud.. so I had to stop midway on that wall.

Quit picking at it, it will never heal-tub1.jpgQuit picking at it, it will never heal-tub2.jpgQuit picking at it, it will never heal-tub3.jpg

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    My weekend was more bathroom fun.. no.. not pooping.. although I did have to retrieve random crap my kid was throwing into the toilet flange when I was not looking.. sometimes I want to murder the 6 year old.. And as I am sure some of you are aware.. tiling sucks.. pick large format tiles or sheets of tiles.. individual 3 by 6" tiles are a pain in the ass, and tile saws are loud.. so I had to stop midway on that wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tub1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	322765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tub2.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	322764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tub3.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	322763
    You can get good EN certified -30dB muffs on Amazon cheap...Do it. I say that as someone who not only works around power tools in a shop, but has to deal with tools who love loud noise on stage. Even cheap -20dB muffs from Home Depot are better than nothing.

You only get one pair of ears-don't fck them up. I see too many teens these days with the hearing of a 70 year old. One group who rents every year turns their amps up so loud they'd done damage to our building.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You can get good EN certified -30dB muffs on Amazon cheap...Do it. I say that as someone who not only works around power tools in a shop, but has to deal with tools who love loud noise on stage. Even cheap -20dB muffs from Home Depot are better than nothing.

You only get one pair of ears-don't fck them up. I see too many teens these days with the hearing of a 70 year old. One group who rents every year turns their amps up so loud they'd done damage to our building.
    The issue is not my ears (I wear ear plugs when I need to).. The issue is the sleeping 6 year old in the room above the garage and the Wife in the room above the garage.. and the neighbours within half a mile.. at 9pm in the evening

RoadBikeReview Member
    You da man!

In the last several months I replaced 7 interior doors in my circa-1900 home. Pre-hung wasn't really an option, as the existing frames and trim are essentially built in to the plaster walls. Every fit was a custom job -- none of the openings were exactly standard, and most of them aren't even square any more, with all the settling and shifting. Fun (not), but they look a lot better than the beat-up old doors.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    In the last several months I replaced 7 interior doors in my circa-1900 home. Pre-hung wasn't really an option, as the existing frames and trim are essentially built in to the plaster walls. Every fit was a custom job -- none of the openings were exactly standard, and most of them aren't even square any more, with all the settling and shifting. Fun (not), but they look a lot better than the beat-up old doors.
    When I built this house it was square and plumb....that....goes away over time! 7 doors eh, you gotta be pretty good at it by now! LOL

Devoid of all flim-flam
    ToG -- thanks for the vid. And just to remind you how wonderful I am, Soupy Sales' kids went to my high school. My sister went out a couple times with his son (was his name Tony?).
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    ToG -- thanks for the vid. And just to remind you how wonderful I am, Soupy Sales' kids went to my high school. My sister went out a couple times with his son (was his name Tony?).
    I thought white Fang was his kid?

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

Other than that, we handled every stick and every stone.
    If sticks and stones don't break your bones, your wife will... just keep adding to the list.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Frog Whisperer
    I really hate putting a 2 1/8 hole saw to the face of a brand new door

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast