corning my own beef

Re-Velcro NNC shoes? Adhesives experts come in her..

My favorite pair of NNC shoes might be down in the heel but they're still my faves. But the velcro -- on top of being pretty worm out -- is coming off all the straps. I'd thought that the velcro might have been stitched on, but it turns out it's just stuck on with some kind of adhesive. I'm figgerin' it's time to try to replace the velcro. Getting velcro strips will be a snap, but what adhesive? Clearly it's gotta form a tough bond, but still has to remain flexible.

Anybody who knows about sticky stuff needs to share some wisdom.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Anybody who knows about sticky stuff needs to share some wisdom.
    Herm...

I thought it was no-fap February?

(There used to be a product out there called Shoe Goo--may work...)
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Low rep power
    Shoe goo or Goop ought to work
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Frog Whisperer
    remove all the old adhesive and hand stitch the new stuff
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Failboat Captian
    I bought some high-end velcro (velcro brand) that was peel-and-stick. I can't recall why I originally bought this massive pack of the stuff, but when my ski jacket cuff velcro stopped holding, I cut the stitching on that stuff to get it off, and replaced it with the peel-and-stick with the intent of stitching it on, but never did. 3 years later, it's still holding perfectly. Make sure to round off all corners. But for shoe straps, you might want to stitch also. If the velcro you get isn't peel-and-stick, I'd recommend contact cement (very flexible) and stitches.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    remove all the old adhesive and hand stitch the new stuff
    This. My old Times did the same thing. I tried lots of things that didn't work, but finally took them to a shoe repair place and he hand-stitched the velcro to the straps.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Frog Whisperer
    as a stitching tip, use an upholstery needle and thread and pre punch the holes fir a small awl. (or use a GOOD stout thimble, jamming the end of a needle into the tip (under the nail) of your finger HURTS
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

i like whiskey
    If you can't sew it, then Barge Cement FTW.

Strengthens over time and remains flexible. Works great for saddle repair too.

Just Plain Bitter
    I had never heard of Barge Cement until today! I just ordered a tube to keep around the house! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    I glued new velcro onto my shoes a couple of years ago and they are still going strong.
    I think I used Gorilla Glue.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    This. My old Times did the same thing. I tried lots of things that didn't work, but finally took them to a shoe repair place and he hand-stitched the velcro to the straps.
    ^ this.
    HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!
    Take thee to a shoe repairman. They will have all the proper enqwipment to do the job right. They can also look over the shoes and fix other problems and generally recondition the shoes. If they can't fix em it's time for new shoes.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson