Thread: rear mount

Frog Whisperer

rear mount

got your attention pervs?

I am looking around for a rear mount bike rack, hitch variety, BUT I have a problem in as much as the draw bar is TOTALLY frozen in to the receiver sleeve. Yeah I tried and tried, heat, pb-blaster, bore heat, chain it to a tree and give it 10 feet of slack and go like hell..... NOTHING ....doesn't move although I did just about give myself whiplash...LOL

I have see them that mount in the hole for the ball in the draw bar but am not sure how solid they really are. Any feedback or recommendations?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    You might be able to drill a few small, inconspicuous holes through hitch and receiver and take enough pressure off to get it to break free. Also - perhaps you could get a high-powered solvent to absorb through the holes (at least seep in a bit)....

I have a Saris that is awesome.....

Frog Whisperer
    I have a Saris bones that will work well on the back of the van too...but i was just wondering. I'd LIKE to get the effin draw bar out because lemme tell you, when yo nail it with your shin on the back of a full sized for conversion van, the van doesn't absorb ANY of the impact!

Great White North
    Take it to the local machine shop and have them cut the old receiver out and clean it up. I wouldn't go with a ball mounted rack, the receiver direct ones are much better. Short of that, I'd pull the whole frozen up mess off and bolt on a new receiver.

I can personally recommend a Thule T2, but have heard good things about the Kuat lines as well. The Saris ones I've seen/used haven't impressed me too much, but I've never owned one.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

PIITWhat?
    Sounds like a total loss. You need to buy a new car.

Frog Whisperer
    I was thinking about putting like a basketball on it to pad my shins!.....or wearing shin guards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    That is the reason I ALWAYS take the drawbar off my truck when I am not using it and store it on the floorboards in the backseat. The shins/knee thing is the other reason.

Did you try applying heat to it while you had pressure on it. Try putting some pressure on it with a rope tied to a tree. I was going to say chain, but that would really, really hurt if it snapped and hit you. The rope will only really hurt. Just make sure you aren't anywhere near a house. I had a client try to pull his truck that was stuck in drive, with a friend's truck with a tow strap by the hitch ball. The ball broke off at the shaft, shot across the street, and went through the exterior/interior of a house and through the other wall of the bedroom. Luckily, nobody was killed or injured. The things you get to hear about as an attorney.

If you have somebody helping you, have them hit that thing with a 5 pound hammer or sledge hammer while you are applying heat.

The PB isn't going to work that well unless you take the hitch off, stand it upright, apply the PB and let it penetrate into the crack while it is standing vertical.

Did I mention that this is why I ALWAYS remove my drawbar when I am done towing?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Frog Whisperer
    the van was purchased used (for the purpose of transporting my mother in law in her wheel chair) and the drawbar was rusted in at that point. A 3 pound hammer didn't work, a 5 pound hammer didn't work and the ten pounder was no better. As for pressure, I would say a 2.5 ton truck jerking on a 3/8 chain when it came to the end of the 10 feet of slack with the other end wrapped around a 24 inch tree should have been enough (yes, it was still hot from the oxy acet torch). If the former owners had GREASED it well when the put it in......

oh well....it's a non issue now I guess.... We are going to need two racks anyhow, front and rear and a hitch mount isn't going to any less in the way than the Bones.

half-fast
    This makes me think of the time I had a bearing go bad in a truck. I rented a torch and caused more damage than if I had left things alone and simply conceded defeat and hired someone.

That is bears little actual resemblance to your problem is irrelevant.

I have been breaking a lot of concrete lately. What about a big chipping hammer?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    This makes me think of the time I had a bearing go bad in a truck. I rented a torch and caused more damage than if I had left things alone and simply conceded defeat and hired someone.

That is bears little actual resemblance to your problem is irrelevant

I have been breaking a lot of concrete lately. What about a big chipping hammer?
    no sir, not irrelevant at all.....I was VERY concerned about setting the van ablaze with a 35 gallon gas tank full, right next to my garage.

Actually i do have a pneumatic chisel I got since the attempt....HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......6:30 in the am......I could get even with all the effin birds that wake me up EVERY MORNING

Bet it would be pretty loud.....LOL

Wave, dammit!
    Loud means it's working. F the birds!
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    You need to watch more movies:

Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    a couple of years back there were a couple of woodpeckers that decided to have "who can be the loudest" contest. ONE decided a trim board on a steel shed would be his instrument of choice and the other chose the fiberglass back-board on the basketball hoop.

EVERY morning, at the crack of dawn they would open the competition up.

I was SO tempted to load up the shotgun!

hit it
    You might be better off getting a whole new receiver. That one sounds like a lost cause.

Of course, you could always spray it with penetrating oil (knock er loose) and let it soak for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Frog Whisperer
    You got a better penetrating oil than PB Blaster?.....done it.....sprayed every day for 3 or 4 days running.....heat, cool, re-spray... I gotta say, once I got it out I sure as hell wouldn't put it back in!

Beetpull DeLite
    Did you try the pneumatic hammer?

Frog Whisperer
    not yet

Frog Whisperer
    maybe the vibration would help get the pb blaster to penetrate

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT View Post
    You might be better off getting a whole new receiver. That one sounds like a lost cause.

Of course, you could always spray it with penetrating oil (knock er loose) and let it soak for a few days.
    I was just about to suggest a new hitch. Sounds like it would be less frustrating than trying to get the draw bar out. That is of course until he tries to unbolt the current hitch and finds out that all the bolts are rusted tight. LOL
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    ToG, I still think I would try constant pressure on it while heating it up. That is just me though. It would probably end in FAIL, but I would try it anyway. What has happened over many years might take many days to undue. Gives you another nice summer project to work on.

Bikes:

Rub it............
    Does the receiver have an opening on the back side of it? If so, you might be able to use an air hammer along with heat to get it out.

I've used heat and an air hammer as a 2nd to last ditch effort to get out hubs and wheel bearings before.

Last ditch effort is the fire wrench.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
    ToG, I still think I would try constant pressure on it while heating it up. That is just me though. It would probably end in FAIL, but I would try it anyway. What has happened over many years might take many days to undue. Gives you another nice summer project to work on.
    fact is, in what little spare time i have ...I'd rather be riding......