We have met the enemy...

Recommendations for a good quality affordable color laser printer?

Thought I would ask to save some time...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Misfit Toy
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought the cheapest Samsung about 3 years ago for very light home use. It's been fine. Just replaced the black cartridge. I did note though that to replace all 4 cartridges costs the same as a new machine.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Thought I would ask to save some time...
    Compare the cost of the color cartridges on a laser as compared to inkjet. We priced a large format color laser in the winter - HP @ $1400, vs. a wide inkjet @ $200. The 3 color laser carts were $ 250 ea., vs. about $15 ea. color inkjet.

No brainer at that point.

Oki. I absolutely loved my Oki. It didn't survive 15 cats, unfortunately...

Okidata® C530dn Digital Color Laser Printer | Staples®

I also like Brother. I have one in the shop that I've been using for years.

Brother® HL-4570cdw Color Laser Printer | Staples®
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Have a nice day
    Inkjet is also generally better for photo printing, if you plan to do that.

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Compare the cost of the color cartridges on a laser as compared to inkjet. We priced a large format color laser in the winter - HP @ $1400, vs. a wide inkjet @ $200. The 3 color laser carts were $ 250 ea., vs. about $15 ea. color inkjet.

No brainer at that point.
    That's the short-sighted perspective. What I would compare would be the cost per printed page. I know we're talking about color,but at least for black, laser printers are usually the better value. I suppose it also depends on your expected volume/usable life of the printer.

And on a related tangent - inkjet printers are generally less expensive than they should be because they are subsidized by the prices of their (lowly-filled) ink cartridges.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post
    That's the short-sighted perspective. What I would compare would be the cost per printed page. I know we're talking about color,but at least for black, laser printers are usually the better value. I suppose it also depends on your expected volume/usable life of the printer.

And on a related tangent - inkjet printers are generally less expensive than they should be because they are subsidized by the prices of their (lowly-filled) ink cartridges.
    Not it's not short sighted, it's reality. You can plunk down $2200 plus for a laser with spare cartridges, or about $250 for inkjet with spare cartridges. It takes a LONG time before you come close to saving anything with the laser, you have to be nearly a print shop to break even short term. This has been our experience.

As well the printer may well crap on you long before you make back the money.

For up to moderate use in color, inkjet is cheaper.

Have a nice day
    If you plan to do higher volume printing, you can save money on inkjet by choosing a printer with separate printheads and ink cartridges. While ink is expensive, the printhead is actually the most expensive component in a consumer inkjet cartridge where the two are combined. Unfortunately printers with separate ink/printheads are more expensive for initial purchase.

Of course the same is true of laser printers. Lower-end printers usually combine the toner and drum into a single, expensive print cartridge. Business-class printers save you money long term by allowing you to replace the toner and drum separately.

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Not it's not short sighted, it's reality. You can plunk down $2200 plus for a laser with spare cartridges, or about $250 for inkjet with spare cartridges. It takes a LONG time before you come close to saving anything with the laser, you have to be nearly a print shop to break even short term. This has been our experience.

As well the printer may well crap on you long before you make back the money.

For up to moderate use in color, inkjet is cheaper.
    We agree to disagree.

Also in the realm of reality: not all color laser printers cost $2200+ w/spare cartridges (you're pricing an enterprise-level laser to a really good consumer-level inkjet). Consumer-class color lasers can be had for $250.

And just to add, for an apples to apples comparison, you won't need to start thinking about spare toner cartridges in the time it would take someone to go through 4-5 sets of ink cartridges on a ink printer. Consumer laser printers yield 2000-5000 pages per toner cartridge vs. inkjets yield 100-400 pages per ink cartridge. So if you're going to be printing around 500 pages/year on a inkjet, plan to spend anywhere from $50-200 on ink, depending on the printer and its ink cartridges. The laser printer would handle at least 3 more years of printing without having to replace a single toner cartridge.

Re: Recommendations for a good quality affordable color laser printer?

The colour laser printers I listed are relatively inexpensive and the toners are $60-$75 each. So, $300 at most to replace all of the toners. For any decent amount of colour printing with an inkjet, you're replacing the cartridges so often that you might as well buy them by the case and hire someone to maintain them. Laser is much "more gooder".
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray