Ricardo Cabeza

recommends me a gooder AV receiver

Updating our home stereo system. All of our music is now digital (mostly Apple lossless except for the few iTunes downloads). We don't even have a CD player since it broke and we never replaced it. I was exploring options for playing music from iTunes on the computer over the home stereo, and it looks like the best option is going to be replacing the 24+ year old Sony AV receiver we currently have. I see most new ones have Airplay and Bluetooth built in, either of which would accomplish what I want. I can spend the same amount and buy an Apple TV but then there is the problem of getting the signal from a modern device to one from the stone age. I did it with the blue ray DVD player but I had to first go through the TV and then to the receiver via RCA. But that just seems cheap and tawdry as far as sound quality is concerned.

What say you?
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Do you wish to accomplish anything else besides streaming iTunes from your computer or mobile device (i.e. multi-room setup)? I imagine the AV receivers with built-in Airplay, Pandora, and Bluetooth will do just fine but I just don't have a lot of experience with them.

I'm old-school so still prefer the wired setup, especially for speakers.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Do you wish to accomplish anything else besides streaming iTunes from your computer or mobile device (i.e. multi-room setup)? I imagine the AV receivers with built-in Airplay, Pandora, and Bluetooth will do just fine but I just don't have a lot of experience with them.

I'm old-school so still prefer the wired setup, especially for speakers.
    I'm looking for better quality sound than those will probably deliver.

I was looking at a bluetooth device that plugs into the RCA plugs on the back, which would be cheaper. It would be nice to be able to expand should we want to though, rather than tryign to cobble.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage