We have met the enemy...

The renovation continues...

A 'work in progress' photo of my wall rebuild project that I hijacked bigrider's thread with.

It was time to tackle one of the last "uglies" on the house. This is a section of wall where we had a badly weathered/badly fitting door, large sections of single pane glass with failing window frames, water damage and the beginnings of structural failure.

Picked up the new door off Craigslist last year and the windows while I was in process. Still a ways to go--but I can insulate inside now, just in time for winter! Underneath the Tyvek is all new framing, plywood etc. (Door is 8' x3' and it is a bit of a beast for one person!)

This is the "kids' door"--the original owners added a second entrance on this end where the kids' bedrooms were.

(For you compulsives out there--I do plan to spray the outside window frames to match...)
    The renovation continues...-wall_proj.jpg
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    My latest isn't really renovation. I still think of the house as "new," and we moved in in Nov. 2010. Got around to landscaping in 2013. For reasons that thankfully escape me now, we decided that outside the daylight basement to install compacted driveway gravel (5/8" minus) outside the rec room and then drain rock for the first two feet along side the two basement bedrooms, followed by topsoil for a planted area. All of this is under a covered deck that serves the main floor above. Turns out this wasn't the greatest idea we had for our new house project. So over the last couple weeks I dug out the topsoil and gravel. I learned that well compacted gravel requires both a pick and a shovel, not my idea of the finest retirement occupations. So yesterday the concrete contractor poured an exposed aggregate (pea gravel) patio in this area. It matches our front porch and sidewalk we had done just before moving in. Now we have patio below and our covered deck above. I don't think we will actually use the patio very much since we live on the main floor upstairs and have a large deck space for outdoor living, but the patio looks good, and I think it will serve us well. And now I can go for a ride this weekend.

Frog Whisperer
    steel, wood or fiberglass door? Looks good bro.... shoot you been working on that house as long as we have!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    steel, wood or fiberglass door? Looks good bro.... shoot you been working on that house as long as we have!
    Thanks!

Wood door with the alu cladding on the outside; I'll stain the inside to match the existing woodwork (which is Poplar with a warmish stain on it). It's the Architect series, so fancy argon gas in the window...

Yes--part of the reason for the big push--I feel like this reno has taken over my life, so I really want to get a few more of these bigger bits done and start having a little more fun.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers