waterproof*

Riding bamboo trains on abandoned colonial tracks in Cambodia

Locals use abandoned french colonial tracks for transportation between towns and villages. These small,lightweight bamboo cars are powered by small engines and the cars can be disassembled in a very short time to allow other bamboo cars to pass as seen halfway through the video. The right of way is decided by load weight and how many cars are traveling in one direction.

best part starts at 2:00

LiveLeak.com - Riding bamboo trains on abandoned colonial tracks in Cambodia
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Who needs a map?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    The right of way is decided by load weight and how many cars are traveling in one direction.
    Saddle's too low. They didn't wave as they passed.

I wonder if they have any cars derail? Considering how often I used to see maintenance workers on the tracks when I commuted by subway I figure an abandoned railway would eventually get out of alignment.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Locals use abandoned french colonial tracks for transportation between towns and villages. These small,lightweight bamboo cars are powered by small engines and the cars can be disassembled in a very short time to allow other bamboo cars to pass as seen halfway through the video. The right of way is decided by load weight and how many cars are traveling in one direction.

best part starts at 2:00

LiveLeak.com - Riding bamboo trains on abandoned colonial tracks in Cambodia

That's pretty cool!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... I bet it would surprise some of you here to learn that modern freight cars, not unlike what is shown in the video, use their weight to keep the wheels 'neath...

While the trucks are connected to the frame, the wheel axle merely rests in bearings nestled in the trucks... they are not mechanically attached. This makes cleaning up after a derailment much easier... only instead of people power, they'd use a crane...

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is fantastic.
    "Sticking feathers in your butt doesn't make you a chicken"
    -Tyler Durden

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would have loved to try this when I was a kid. It would probably be a one way ride since you would likely get caught by cops somewhere along the trip, but man that would be fun. Just pick a route from this site...

http://www.abandonedrails.com/